• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic Forces Game's New Video Teases 3rd Character

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome, more Sonic friends! That's just what we need Rolling Eyes
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Third Character/Gameplay will be based on a OC Avatar that we will have to create from ears to boots
BlueCatPK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:39 am Reply with quote
3rd character will be Sonic Boom's Sonic and gameplay.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
BlueCatPK wrote:
3rd character will be Sonic Boom's Sonic and gameplay.

This is interesting as this rumor has been debunked that and I don't think they'd need to hide that this long given we've known about classic and modern sonic since the game's first announcement.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

On that note, a crossover between Sonic and Kemono Friends may just be what the franchise needs.
It can hardly make things worse, I anticipate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Personally think that classic sonic shouldn't have been in this game so the fact that they're adding more makes me skeptical. If its just another sonic (Adventure or boom) im going to be disappointed.I personally would have loved if it would have just been sonic,knuckles and tails.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
It looks like Bubsy or most likely what will happen is we'll get a character that's a Bubsy ripoff.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Title theme sounds pretty decent; hoping the gameplay measures up.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Looks great so far, I hope they dont screw up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Personally think that classic sonic shouldn't have been in this game so the fact that they're adding more makes me skeptical. If its just another sonic (Adventure or boom) im going to be disappointed.I personally would have loved if it would have just been sonic,knuckles and tails.

Eventhough they're already playable in Sonic Mania?
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Third Character/Gameplay will be based on a OC Avatar that we will have to create from ears to boots

At this point I'm surprised that hasn't been an option.

Thankful, but surprised.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It looks like Bubsy or most likely what will happen is we'll get a character that's a Bubsy ripoff.

That's definitelya popular joke among Sonic fans right now. But it'd be hilarious if it's actually him. It'd be the most beautiful looking 3-D platformer he'd be in...though the bar for that is set extremely low.

HyperGatack wrote:
AkaRed wrote:

At this point I'm surprised that hasn't been an option.

Thankful, but surprised.

They don't need to make one because there are already enough Sonic OC creation tools on the Internet to satisfy the fans.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Pretty sure we haven't had a new friend introduced for Sonic since Marine the Raccoon back in 2007, ten years ago. (Sticks doesn't count since Boom is considered a separate series.)

This complaint is like how people still complain and wish that Sega would make Sonic the only playable character, despite the fact they've already been doing for ages, considering every mainline game since Sonic Unleashed (released in 2008) has had ONLY Sonic as a playable character. It isn't 2006 anymore, it won't hurt anything if they mix it up and make someone other than Sonic a playable character for the first time in over ten years.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Pretty sure we haven't had a new friend introduced for Sonic since Marine the Raccoon back in 2007, ten years ago. (Sticks doesn't count since Boom is considered a separate series.)

This complaint is like how people still complain and wish that Sega would make Sonic the only playable character, despite the fact they've already been doing for ages, considering every mainline game since Sonic Unleashed (released in 2008) has had ONLY Sonic as a playable character. It isn't 2006 anymore, it won't hurt anything if they mix it up and make someone other than Sonic a playable character for the first time in over ten years.

Another thing is that both of these complaints were addressing the symptoms, not the disease. The complaint about too many characters was actually more specifically about too many characters who were poorly written or were introduced too frequently, along with the games' insistence on using every primary character in every game. Bear in mind that Super Mario games have just as many recurring and plot-important characters, if not more, but you don't hear Mario fans complaining about too many characters because Nintendo's game designers only use them as they need them. You have Mario, Peach, Toad, and Bowser. Sometimes, you'll have Luigi, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, Toadsworth, Rosalina, and/or the Koopalings. Characters sometimes get funneled off into side-series, like Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, and Donkey Kong. On the other hand, the 6th-generation and 7th-generation Sonic games always needed to have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Cream, Omega, and Blaze, even where it didn't make sense for them to be there, and each home console major release would introduce two or three more.

From Sonic Colors and onwards though, they fixed that. Characters now only appear when the story needed them or as NPCs on the margins. (Sonic Colors itself is a drastic reduction in the number of characters: The entire story only really used Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, and Yacker, with the DS version using the other characters as guests to the theme park the game is set in.)

As for too many playable characters, that's actually a complaint about too many gameplay styles. People complained about fishing as Big the Cat, Emerald Shard hunting as Knuckles and Rouge, whacking enemies with the hammer as Amy, slow telekinetic platforming as Silver, and shooting enemies as Tails, Eggman, and later Shadow. The fans did NOT complain about playing as Tails or Knuckles in the original 16-bit games, Cream in Sonic Advance 2, Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, or Blaze in Sonic Rush. They DID complain about playing as Sonic as the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic with a sword in Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic with lead shoes in Sonic Labyrinth, and Sonic as a beat-em-up character in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The pattern becomes clear: What people really want is fast-paced platforming from beginning to end. They'll play as other characters and won't mind, as long as those other characters play similar enough to Sonic.

And I think they've been doing that since, well, Sonic Colors as well, though I am not entirely sure they fully understand that people will play as characters other than Sonic as long as they have the same fast-paced platforming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1