• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds Robot × Laserbeam, We Never Learn Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Good choices.

We never Learn is super cute, highly recommend it.
Modab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is the first time Shonen Jump has added *all* the series they previewed that I wanted to see continue. The sports manga is a lot of fun, though I wonder how long the premise (instantly the best golf player ever) will last. I guess if One-Punch Man can remain awesome, then this could too.

Agreed, We Never Learn is super cute. Also, great art, and pretty original so far for a "harem" style manga. I hope it stays quirky and doesn't devolve into too many harem tropes.

The rebuild civilization manga is also a lot of fun to read. Minecraft in manga form? I hope it doesn't turn into a battle manga. The art on this one is amazing.
Pete Zoof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually had not paid any attention to the new manga aside from Dr. Stone. After it was added to the permanent lineup I started reading it and loved it! So after that great choice I am eager to check these out.

I usually don't check out new Shonen Jump manga UNTIL it becomes part of the permanent lineup because until it does I know it otherwise has the great potential to get the axe. Now that they're here to stay, I guess I'll check them out! Smile

I just don't like having experiences like with Devily Man and Red Sprite. It's hard getting attached to manga only for them to stop suddenly!
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Golf? Really?

I now await the inevitable marbles manga where our hero fights to get back his precious 'cats eye' marble from his once friend and now fiercest rival.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ParaSitius wrote:
Golf? Really?

I now await the inevitable marbles manga where our hero fights to get back his precious 'cats eye' marble from his once friend and now fiercest rival.

The twist is that after defeating the fierce rival, said rival will join forces with the hero in order to combat the ultimate big bad who wields the world's most forbidden marble techniques!
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I would totally read a marble manga. Seeing how over-the-top and dramatic they can make things is part of the fun of shonen manga, especially sports manga. Razz

Pleasantly surprised to see all the We Never Learn love here! It tends to get a lot of hate on the Viz website. I was happy they added it myself. Adds some variety to the line-up!

I'm neutral on the Robo manga though. It's okay, but golf is my least favorite sport. Not even the usual shonen antics has been enough to win me over yet. But maybe it'll grow on me in time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I love how at last, sports manga has gained enough acceptance among English-language manga fans for it to be voted in. I do look forward to seeing how Robot X Laserbeam continues, but seriously, they need to do something about that title. It's Weekly Shonen Jump's easily most misleading title by far.

As for We Never Learn!, it has been fun, but I feel the potential is limited. There is only so much they can do before the characters fully develop and there isn't anything more they can do. I do hope they don't turn it into a harem series with more girls asking for tutelage, as the appeal of We Never Learn! is the dynamic between the three main characters, and anything further could very easily destroy it.
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
A lot of shitty romance/harem mangas, this round. Getting sick of this shit. Let's hope they all get cancelled. I miss red spite....
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
A lot of shitty romance/harem mangas, this round. Getting sick of this shit. Let's hope they all get cancelled. I miss red spite....

There was one Romance Manga (We Never Learn) in the new batch Jump started over the last couple months. And Even then it''s more slice of life like than it is Romance like up to this point.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I kind of liked Hungry Mari--probably more to its potential based on how experienced its author is, but still disappointed it wasn't picked up. Dr. Stone is really stupid fun. Haven't checked out the others yet.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Aw, I kind of liked Hungry Mari--probably more to its potential based on how experienced its author is, but still disappointed it wasn't picked up. Dr. Stone is really stupid fun. Haven't checked out the others yet.

Same here, honestly. I was really interested in seeing where the story would go from where it stopped. Also one of the few comedy shonen manga I actually found funny (people who know me know it actually takes a lot to get me to laugh).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd have preferred we got Beelzebub more than Mari, anyway. But maybe we'll get lucky, and Seven Seas will get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1