• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Tops US$3.4 Million After 2nd Weekend in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Considering there isn't a big Disney movie this year besides what pixar has, Funimation should find someway to make a wide release this holiday season somehow.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Saw it the weekend it came out (Saturday evening). Was pleased to see a larger than expected crowd for it, though it was far from a sell-out (I'd say 50-60 people, mostly teens/20s). I don't know how well this box office was compared to others, but hopefully its a good sign and that we can hope to see more theatrical releases in the future.
Digimonlover101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Woop woop
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Saw this in Toronto recently. It'll be laying again on the 26th. Loved it! Theater was half full surprisingly! A very enjoyable film. Shinkai's best! Also his most mainstream. So I can see why it has been appealing. No, it's not better than anything Miyazaki has in the top earning ranking, but its main characters and humor and beautiful scenery are what sells it, particularly the plot turn and tonal shift by the middle of the movie. Would be nice if this encourages more anime theaterical runs, but this film could also be a fluke in terms of its success. I hope not.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Really glad that it's doing so well here. I saw it three times (twice in Japanese and once in English), and it quickly became a new favorite. At this point I don't have much of an urge to see it in the theater again (yet, haha), but I can't wait for the home video release. I hope FUNimation will give it a deluxe release, rather than their more barebones standard releases.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Had I been foretold last year that the live-action Ghost in the Shell would flounder, but that Shinkai would be graced with an international triumph, I dare say I would be quite a contented goose.
(Any subsequent political news would need to be withheld from me of course, lest my contendedness be offset to say the least...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
First weekend gross was over $5000/theater. This weekend $2512/theater. Good numbers for a limited release. I have seen "your name" three times. First view ranked it very good because was disappointed in the animation. Read the wikipedia entry and they quoted Mr. Shinkai as saying they ran out of money and could not make the film which he had planned. Saw it a second time and ranked it excellent. Then saw it for a third time this weekend and it is indeed a masterpiece not just of anime but of storytelling. Perfect in so many ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1