• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Studio Khara Recruiting Animators, Technical Staff for New Evangelion Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they aren't recruiting writers. That last movie was a real poop-sandwich. I'm half expecting the final movie to be incoherent.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Too bad they aren't recruiting writers. That last movie was a real poop-sandwich. I'm half expecting the final movie to be incoherent.

If they don't need writers, at least they have SOMETHING under control. At least...
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
2007, 2009, 2012... 20??. Holy crap, I've just realised that the wait between part 3 and 4 is longer than the one between parts 1 and 3.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Too bad they aren't recruiting writers.

Studio Khara answers : Writers ? Pffft, we don't need no writers where we're going ; and in any case we have all the talent we need inhouse. Laughing
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah so I think that its safe to assume they'll be done with it by the end of 2025.

Plus minus a year or two for additional polishing. I only hope they got rid of the writer/s for the previous film, because if not it won't be worth waiting for.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Too bad they aren't recruiting writers. That last movie was a real poop-sandwich
You were expecting something else, it is Evamgelion after all. At some point it was going to flip the table, and give us something completely out of nowhere.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, so they are making this after all. About time then.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
Too bad they aren't recruiting writers. That last movie was a real poop-sandwich
You were expecting something else, it is Evamgelion after all. At some point it was going to flip the table, and give us something completely out of nowhere.
It was my mistake. As we all know, the story is subject to the director's emotional fluctuations. It would be silly to expect a coherent narrative. Much less characters driving the story as opposed to characters just doing things for the convenience of the plot.
Haysey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
Was i the only one who enjoyed 3.0? I thought it was the perfect answer to 2.0...but then again i hate myself as well Rolling Eyes
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
As we might expect the usual detractors...

3.0 was completely coherent and in keeping with the series.

The entire point of 3.0 was not plot convenience but intended to pull the rug out from under the audience to serve a point that all that Anime Trope Behavior of the hero moving and acting on emotion and bravado alone to save the girl because love or something doesn't mean you aren't screwing up big time.

This also serves the underlying themes of depression and anxiety and why some people re unwilling to move forward in life due to trauma and poor decision making.

Some people just didn't like where the story went. But the story itself so far is fine. But a lot does depend on how it closes with the finale.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
As we might expect the usual detractors...

3.0 was completely coherent and in keeping with the series.

The entire point of 3.0 was not plot convenience but intended to pull the rug out from under the audience to serve a point that all that Anime Trope Behavior of the hero moving and acting on emotion and bravado alone to save the girl because love or something doesn't mean you aren't screwing up big time.

This also serves the underlying themes of depression and anxiety and why some people re unwilling to move forward in life due to trauma and poor decision making.

Some people just didn't like where the story went. But the story itself so far is fine. But a lot does depend on how it closes with the finale.

I'll concede that it's thematically consistent with previous incarnations of Evangelion but I can't abide by the way the rug was pulled. This is not a instance of being upset because I didn't like the direction of the story. It was more that I thought the third film had poor characterization in the post time-skip portion of the film. Characters behave jarringly in a manner that is inconsistent with what the viewer had been shown in the previous two films. People can rationalize why ,and in a obtuse way perhaps it makes sense, but the way the events unfold are done in a haphazard fashion to change the status quo for Shinji and the viewers. The way events unfolded and characters behaved made it hard for me to suspend disbelief. It's not what happened that bothered me it's how it happened that I take issue with. I don't think it's fair to dismiss this criticism as fans not being happy with the direction of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1