• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Himōto! Umaru-chan Anime's English Dub Casts Adam Noble as Taihei Doma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This sounds great! But seriously 22 months after it first came out to have a media release? That still disgusts me Sentai
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is sort of lame that it took so long. Still gonna buy it though. That Umaru box is too good to resist! Even for someone as stingy as me!
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
This sounds great! But seriously 22 months after it first came out to have a media release? That still disgusts me Sentai
It isn't necessarily Sentai's fault. Some Japanese companies on the production committee of the anime (the publisher, I believe) will usually have a home release waiting period, where no publisher can sell the anime in any form until after that time. Depending on the company and even the anime, this can range from only a couple of months to a year or two.

Not only that, but with the amount of titles Sentai releases every month, I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking some time with the dubs for these titles (this was part of the "the dubs are coming" movement Sentai started with Monster Musume and GATE among others). I loved Himouto! Umaru-chan as it aired, and looking at this set, I hope it really is getting the star treatment the fans want.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
It isn't necessarily Sentai's fault. Some Japanese companies on the production committee of the anime (the publisher, I believe) will usually have a home release waiting period, where no publisher can sell the anime in any form until after that time. Depending on the company and even the anime, this can range from only a couple of months to a year or two.

Not only that, but with the amount of titles Sentai releases every month, I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking some time with the dubs for these titles (this was part of the "the dubs are coming" movement Sentai started with Monster Musume and GATE among others). I loved Himouto! Umaru-chan as it aired, and looking at this set, I hope it really is getting the star treatment the fans want.

I would stand to agree and it is probably the case but if you notice this is the new trend for Sentai, just look at their current release catalog. Most of the shows they are releasing are of at least a year old and they are releasing far fewer shows than previous years. I think this could be intentional release schedule by sentia. They do put in a lot more effort and release much higher quality product than before though. So, you won't hear me complaining. But, some shows I would like to see a dub at stream like funimation does broadcast dubs. Danmanchi comes to mind. They just released the parent story and the spinoff is on it's second episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Broadcast dubs are something FUNimation does. You cannot expect Sentai to match that. Getting a show released 15 months after the final volume is released in Japan (Volume 6 was released 02/17/16) is honestly quite quick in the grand scheme of things.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Okay, after actually listening to the clip I am still uncertain who the VA is for Umaru. It could still be Jessica Calvello, but I've pretty much ruled out Monica Rial.

Fingers still crossed for Jessica!
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Okay, after actually listening to the clip I am still uncertain who the VA is for Umaru. It could still be Jessica Calvello, but I've pretty much ruled out Monica Rial.

To me it actually sounded like Tia Ballard hmmmmm.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
BasketBalljones wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

To me it actually sounded like Tia Ballard hmmmmm.

Ballard wouldn't be too much of a stretch actually. She did voice Rinko in My Love Story!! after all.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Adam Noble is pretty good. Reminds me of a younger version of Anthony Bowling from Devil is a part timer, but more relaxed. Umaru is tricky but I agree with people that its either Tia Ballad. Or another idea. Cindy Lou Parker using a different tone of voice since she's kinda similar or to an exact replica of Monica Rial but younger in terms of voice.
MJM5219

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Adam Noble is pretty good. Reminds me of a younger version of Anthony Bowling from Devil is a part timer, but more relaxed. Umaru is tricky but I agree with people that its either Tia Ballad. Or another idea. Cindy Lou Parker using a different tone of voice since she's kinda similar or to an exact replica of Monica Rial but younger in terms of voice.

Cindy Lou Parker was who I thought of when I commented on the YouTube video of Taihei's cast reveal. Other commenters included Hilary Haag could be a possibility for Umaru.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I was hoping for Hilary Haag.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

22 months vs 12 to 18 months for a funimation one. Do you see the difference? This isnt that uncommon with sentai. Thats what im refferring to and why it still makes me mad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Again, it'd be 15 months after the final BD was released. You can't only look at the 1st BD release.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Again, it'd be 15 months after the final BD was released. You can't only look at the 1st BD release.
^ THIS.

Not only that, but Sentai still isn't quite as big as Funi. They put out a lot of releases, sure, but barebones subbed-only ones at that. Funimation has the money to make dubs of shows that are still AIRING, and that probably speeds up the process of getting release materials together tremendously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1