• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Megazone 23 Anime Project Plans Crowdfunding for Promo Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think Megazone 23, like the original Bubblegum Crisis, might be too much of a product of its time to revive with a sequel. It's basically THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES: THE ANIME.

Not that I wouldn't at least be curious enough to at least watch a little of the end product, but it's an odd concept to continue like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
I could see this working since it sounds more like a spin-off than a reboot or something. I'll be rooting for AIC, was just reading about how they were mis-managed into oblivion​. Sad to see one of the solid stalwarts of the industry fall apart like that. I hope they can manage a slow recovery like gonzo is trying to, it's a tough market these days.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akio Watanabe (Monogatari series, The World God Only Knows) is designing the main heroine Sakura (seen below) for Megazone 23 XI, while Masahiko Komino (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders) is designing most of the rest of the characters.

Not too disimilar from how the original had Eve designed by Haruhiko Mikimoto, and everyone else by Toshihiro Hirano (then Yasuomi Umetsu, then Hiroyuki Kitazume). Only it's with the main character this time...wonder if there's any specific meaning to that. And I wonder if - and would figure - we're going to see Mikimoto's Eve here yet again.

Anyway, the set up does sound interesting enough, so I'll keep an open mind.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know, I think Megazone 23, like the original Bubblegum Crisis, might be too much of a product of its time to revive with a sequel. It's basically THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES: THE ANIME.

Not that I wouldn't at least be curious enough to at least watch a little of the end product, but it's an odd concept to continue like this.

Why not? I may be in the minority, but I feel BGC 2040 was vastly superior to the original.

As for Megazone 23, I always felt it was a novel idea but went nowhere (I'm talking about the original, not the sequels).

It's pretty clear AIC isn't exactly flooding with money, so they're trying to stay afloat using estabilished brands from the past.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
Akio Watanabe (Monogatari series, The World God Only Knows) is designing the main heroine Sakura (seen below) for Megazone 23 XI, while Masahiko Komino (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders) is designing most of the rest of the characters.

Not too disimilar from how the original had Eve designed by Haruhiko Mikimoto, and everyone else by Toshihiro Hirano (then Yasuomi Umetsu, then Hiroyuki Kitazume). Only it's with the main character this time...wonder if there's any specific meaning to that. And I wonder if - and would figure - we're going to see Mikimoto's Eve here yet again.

That'll be interesting if Eve gets redesigned here rather than keep to look she had from the past.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Why not? I may be in the minority, but I feel BGC 2040 was vastly superior to the original

As a story-telling engine, it absolutely is superior. As an overall product, its charms are somewhat lacking when compared to the original. It feels a tad cold and clinical.

Maybe I'm just an 80s kinda guy. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

While that is a valid point, it can still be done in the right hands. Gaiking was a very 70s Anime, yet Gaiking - Legend of Daiku Maryu was able to bring the same spirit despite being made in the 00s.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
I cannot see Megazone23 working well in 2017. That blend of sci-fi and style/music wouldn't appeal to today's audiences. It would be us ole nostalgia peddlers paying up for the product.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
I love Megazone 23. It's 80s as all hell, but that's part of its charm. Part of me wishes they would just leave it alone, but I'm curious to see what they'll do with it now. The early artwork here looks pretty cool.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
If they use hand-drawn animation for the ships and mecha then I'm sure I'll love it. But I'm betting the chances of that are pretty low. These days only Gundam has that kind of budget put into its mechanical designs.

The other thing that would really sell me is they got Haruhiko Mikimoto, Toshihiro Hirano, Yasuomi Umetsu, or Hiroyuki Kitazume to come back and work on this. I desperately want to see another insane Yasuomi Umetsu film. At least Kabenari is continuing to give me my Mikimoto fix (that series is seriously a dream come true).
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Megazone 23 remake. That sounds good. But what would really make it amazing is to set it in thespoiler[ (fake)] 80's.

I'm not really happy with the concept art, going for the moe look, come on! Make it look like the original, except digitally-colored.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Resurrecting an influential old-school OVA... so that they can focus on a middle-school twin-tails idol kid with a cute mascot? Sigh.

I guess this is a Macross Delta situation, focusing more on what sells to the otaku crowd these days, and less on the genre entertainment that defined the source material. I don't have much hope that this would do the original much justice, but maybe it might bring more focus on some of the cultural differences between the 80's and the modern day.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Resurrecting an influential old-school OVA... so that they can focus on a middle-school twin-tails idol kid with a cute mascot? Sigh.

I guess this is a Macross Delta situation, focusing more on what sells to the otaku crowd these days, and less on the genre entertainment that defined the source material. I don't have much hope that this would do the original much justice, but maybe it might bring more focus on some of the cultural differences between the 80's and the modern day.

The genre entertainment of the original is what sold to the otaku crowd in those days.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis 2010s, and new Gall Force, please.

I can dream, right?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Asura: If Otaku no Video's any indication, the otaku of that era were pretty much like our Trekkies and Star Wars fans-interested in the sci-fi elements and presentation of the story. Then Anno came along with Eva, and this shit became about delayed development wish-fulfillment. And then Ken Akamatsu forced the rapey harem scenario upon people, and the rest is history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2