• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 14:

Seems that Akko and Diana's rivalry are reaching new levels now. Really curious to see how far this is going.

Even though I don't like Croix that much, she is quite a crafty individual. I'm still wondering what her endgame is in her plans but likely something sinister. I'm guessing Urusla may step in sometimes to stop her as she even noticed that Croix began talking to Akko.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
What do you know, Akko joined S.P.E.W., no socks involved though? Don't know how many people would get that reference. But I found it hilarious that Akko flipped from trying to convince them to being a part of the protestors, and that it comes from her emotional side. Laughed even more when Diana came with an intelligent argument and Akko beat her in a way she could not entirely fight against by calling her a bourgeois, it was really funny.

For Croix, at this point I am not ready to call her as doing things for the evulz, she might have kind of done these underhanded techniques just to create a situation where she could get research opportunities. But I also see that it is likely there will be some negative side effects that she might not be so progressive about, it is clear that there is something with her and Chariot that is meant to be reflected with Akko and Diana, which I would not be surprised if it would be more complicated of one thing is good or bad in terms of progress and tradition. Actually most curious about Constanze since her thing is all about technology and magic. Well regardless Croix has techniques to get what she wants that I am sure that both Akko and Diana would be against.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Akko: Wow Ursual sensei, you sound like you knew Croix in school who knew of Chariot well, you knew of the fountain that Chariot, and you knew of the staff to the point that you can recall the words that likely only the wielder of would knew well. Chariot must be out trying to find the words.
*facepalm*

But seriously, Ursula/Chariot seemed confused why she did not see it, but it is kind of that wondrous dreamer that I guess is Akko. We got to see what Croix is made of, and the comment she made about watching Akko for some times makes it looks like work she had done to get Akko to idolise her was under research and plotted. Her machine and like analysing Akko and calling her selfish actually makes me think that there is a specific lack of being able to understand Akko along the likes that maybe Diana may have trouble too.

And on Diana, she seems to not only done some research into Croix, but seems to have perhaps noticed that there is something up with Ursula. Could she be the first to realise that Ursula is her and Akko's hero?

And that battle animation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

An Akko and Amanda episode. I kind of really like when these two get together, chaos is almost guaranteed from them. Also Amanda in a gender fluid looking tomboy style badass. Wait, now that I think about it, Akko and Amanda are kind of similar in ways to Mako and Ryuko, the Ryuko one was obvious, but now that I think about it this might be why the two play off each other so well. Only it is Mako who is the main character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
I have to say I'm not enjoying this show as much as I did during the first cours. The writing doesn't seem quite as sharp or funny in the last few eppies. It's even a bit hard to put my finger on what the problem is, but for me something is a little lacking. I no longer get the same feeling of exhiliration at the end of an episode like I did many times earlier. Maybe it's just a bit of a slump.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I think that it is a bit of the needing to spread story over so long, that Akko cannot quite being the same she was before, or a single snappy character arc. It has felt a little episodic that some episodes feel like they have decided that it is where they slide story, like an episode around one character or trying to just think of an idea that might work. With the words thing it has slid a little into Akko hears something she should learn or achieve and goes after it like it is a set road. That kind of diminishes the wonder Akko has when she is really new and the chaotic make your own path that I think makes the series feel rather strong. Even the festival where she was supposed to be making a deal out of betraying expectations by helping the ghost felt like she was being railroaded.

Thinking back to the original OVA, two of the parts that really sell me on the tone were things like Akko failing ridiculously at riding a broom, and when the big minotaur shows up, intimidating them before Sucy kills it in a simple yet gruesome manner. Those two things for one had super Trigger animation, but first a failure of Akko proportions which the TV series could not rely on, and second a big over the top show before a reversal of expectations of which I don't think could be used so often. The second specifically makes me think of say the cockatrice in episode one and also the Sucy episode that could play it off well.

There are still moments of heart, which I think of like the moment that Akko is saying she appreciates Amanda as a friend, which is good. But I think a bit that it is not entirely delivering on say those girls as a whole being a B team to Akko's A team, or anything to really shake up the teams. I have been hearing that next episode may be a Constanze episode, who has been a character I have been curious about for some time, but I don't know. In final, I think that importantly we need Akko to do something bombastic maybe stupid but not annoying, with a fun interaction with other quirky characters (more than one I think), and she needs to do it because she wants to, the fact that she even does things to try and copy her idol in ways diminishes some of her. I don't know if this meant anything, I might just be rambling, thinking too hard, or really not knowing what I am talking about, which I tend to think I might after writing so much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I've always been fairly meh on this series anyway, because Akko is just too genki for me. But I've actually liked the last couple of episodes a lot, maybe because she's been toned down a tad. That might be what's not working for you?

I do think they let Akko (and the audience) in on the search for the Words too soon though. It was a nice little ongoing mystery up until then, but that sort of turned it into a standard gather-all-the-pieces RPG quest series.

I have a feeling Croix will not turn out to be evil, or at least as evil as she's currently being painted. Probably just doing the right thing in the wrong way sort of deal, so her redemption won't require a heel-turn so much as just opening her eyes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

Okay, this felt like a good episode, and yet is the second episode in a row that that Akko played the secondary character to another, this time Constanze who is a total little badass. Now that I am aware of it, I see it even more that Akko is a very similar character to Mako, with Constanze as we see Akko jumping around and clumsy, but well intentioned. But really Constanze was the star of the episode, and one that I think her flaws just add to her being a good character, which we got to see her smile at the end with Akko. I don't want to pick any new favourites, but the episode really delivered on the promise of her character.

In general it felt like the series focused on bringing back the excitement too that Trigger can really pull off. It is pretty obvious that there was some inspiration from Gurren Lagann sprinkled in. I really enjoyed the parts where Akko falls into Constanze's hidden track, and laughed at the slapstick with her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll be seeing headlines in the future about sightings of a ghost ship sailing the world's skies, like that errant broom that keeps popping up. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Diana episodes. Probably one the more subtle bits was the final reveal that one of Diana's treasured belongings was a Shiny Chariot card that she did not want Akko to see, not entirely sure but it feels likely to be the only one Akko does not have. Akko was not letting Diana just run away, but Diana's aunt seems set to I guess bleed the family dry. Her cousins were creepy.

Oh, also recognised the butler as the guy next to her during the Shiny Chariot scene, and now I guess it is explained why it was a butler and not family member. Got a laugh out of Akko at the dinner table. And also that Andrew is showing increasing signs of standing up for Akko in the face of his father.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
I noticed that soccer riots were mentioned for like the 3rd time in as many weeks. I'm guessing whatever Croix's plan is, it involves the anger such riots engender to power her magic. Notice the riots seem to be getting worse, and its hinted that something is provoking them.

Best guess? Croix is planning to summon an Elder God-like being, and it'll be up to Akko and the Luna Nova girls to save the world in the last episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we are going through a bit of a Diana arc. I always enjoy seeing her and Akko interact.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad we are going through a bit of a Diana arc. I always enjoy seeing her and Akko interact.

I like that they haven't made them bitter, hated enemies. Diana actually seems to have some respect for Akko. Notice that while she fully understands the implications of why Shiny Rod went to Akko and not her, she doesn't seem bitter about it (although she did look a little disappointed). And the fact that Akko's reaction to Diana's departure is concern for Diana and not "good riddance" is also nice. Neither of them really have it in themselves to hate the other, and a little friendly rivalry can be good for both of them.

Not sure how this current story is going to play out for Diana. I suspect that she may be correct and that returning to Luna Nova may be out of the question for the time being, but I expect she'll be back in time for the inevitable Big Showdown with Croix at season (series?) end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you, DeTroyes. You can easily see how Diana could have ended up a stereotypical "snooty bitch" type of character but the show wisely avoided that trap. However, I still enjoy the occasional dig that Diana slips in, like when Akko says she can't abide the thought of her rival leaving Nova Luna and Diana drily replies that she's never thought of Akko as her rival. Ouch! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Diana's aunt (and cousins) were pretty horrid, ultimately they succeeded in preventing DIana from becoming the head, but also hope that they did see that is worth betting on, that her vision is something to respect and not throw away the legacy for a buck. It was to Akko's shock last episode to be told that Diana is actually very kind, it was shown here that she would indeed put others ahead of herself, like a poisoned Akko and her cursed family. She can come across as high and mighty and a bit of a jerk, but it is an integral part of her character that she works the hardest and is the first to help others.

I had been a bit worried about if Akko could deliver an emotional scene like what would be required for finding the next word, but it really did deliver when Akko was so strongly telling Diana to follow her dreams. Right along the lines of the Chariot show which was even that changed both of their lives, like how Andrew said that Diana acted weird at a time when they wee kids, and it was after she saw Chariot and practiced from no ability in magic, up to becoming the genius. And talking about Andrew, him sticking around with Akko was great bit of continual characterisation, totally great now. Going back to Akko, I in general think it Akko's actions of not wanting Diana to do the ritual and quit the school, to rushing to Diana's aid after finding out she was impeded. To some extent Akko's flipping does not make logical sense, but you also see that despite how else their relationship may often be, Akko wanted Diana to do what she wanted, whether have her be the bit of a pain in the neck "rival", or achieving the ritual that meant something to her, what mattered was Diana's choice. Akko was pretty fantastic, and it feels like a growth of her past not thinking about what others want.

Their relationship might change a little, but Diana and Akko are certainly going to keep fighting with each other, too boring otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11