• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
It's definitly my favorite non-sequel anime this season so far.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I disagree that holding out on the big revelations creates more opportunities for nuance. I think putting the cards out on the table from the outset creates a lot more room for compelling character development than if the show coyly hid its surprises and made the viewer guess at the context in which the characters were acting. The show now has put out the information to back a relatively introspective study in how these characters react in the circumstances they occupy. I don't know if the show will deliver yet, but it has at least shown confidence that it can operate in its setting by not trying to play "what's in my pocket?" with the viewer to artificially drum up interest.
redsyndrome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This has a lot of promise. I think it will do well.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The fanservice scene isn't even traditional fanservice.

if it was, Willem would be embarrased like Chtolly.

Plus, that was his goal to begin with, massaging her back so the poison would go away.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The anime is keeping with the tone of the LN,albeit with some scene changes and due to pacing some things are cut,usual with adaptations.
I do feel the anime's scene of the girl badly injuring herself came across as making the girls far too robotic.
The fanservice is 'stronger'(forced) in the anime,maybe to lull folks.
Also Naigrat (the Troll) really would eat people if given permission,so there is that for fanservice.

Paul nailed it with Willhem, he is a adult figure to the young girls and that is all,rest assured.

We have not had any big revelations yet. Knowing the girls are meant to fight 'The Beasts' needed to be told at this point,the anime made it clear there is a big battle soon.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Wondering which is correct the names from the LN or the anime.
For example read her name as Kutori Nota Seniolis in the LN vs the anime's Chtholly Nota Seniorious.

Also for fun,suka is the Russian cuss word for bitch.
Yuu~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Wondering which is correct the names from the LN or the anime.
For example read her name as Kutori Nota Seniolis in the LN vs the anime's Chtholly Nota Seniorious.

A lot of people when reading the title of this show: "WTF IS THIS?!"
Most light novel readers when seeing Kutori's name spelled as Chtholly: "WTF IS THIS?!"

But all joking aside, I'm sticking with the spelling from the LN. D:
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Anime of the season, calling it right now. I know all the reviewers want RE:Creators to be the next big thing, but I doubt it will garner nearly as much attention as this; especially in Japan. The LN's are too well loved.

Currently it's the only show which I'm waiting for the countdown each week.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Re:Creators is so far my pick for best of the season World Break is my number two. As it does capture it's own lived in world and is able to juggle comedy and drama along with relationships and the protagonist's past with out feeling too jumbled.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
While I could have done without that fanservice scene it was presented better than usual.

The situation wasn't 'Oh look the main character has tripped and fallen on this half naked girl' or 'look at me I'm the protagonist with a perverted personality molesting a cute girl, isn't this hilarious guys!?'.

And as long as we're talking anime of the season my pick is ATOM: THE BEGINNING.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Does it drive anyone else nuts that Wilhelm looks almost exactly like a younger Guren from Seraph of the End, or is it just me? They're almost carbon copies of each other (looks wise).
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
My only problem with this series is that Scarborough Fair isn't actually the opening.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the fan service was really unnecessary. Other than that, there's a bit too much made word for no reason, why not just call stuff "magic" and "human" and all those instead of making weird new word all the time?

It's decent, mostly pulled along by the main character (christ that's something you don't hear often in anime!).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, the second episode did exactly what I was wary about after the first one, so I can't say I'm totally sold on this yet. But I actually did like the unexpected jumping off the cliff bit as a way to reveal that something was terribly wrong here. And I do like Willem.

So they're leprechauns that are fairies? Or fairies that are leprechauns? Couldn't they have just used one or the other? Some of the naming in this seems like someone threw some Scrabble tiles on the floor but forgot to include enough vowels.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
My only problem with this series is that Scarborough Fair isn't actually the opening.

Or the song they used in the PV, though they used a bit of that as an insert.

I lean more towards best non-sequel than best of the season (though that would still make it one of the best). It does have some real potential and I hope it can achieve it.

Question for LN readers: What's the pacing look like? Five volumes seems like too much to fit in a single cours and I'm wondering if the pacing so far looks more like they will end at 3 or 5, the former being in line with four episodes a volume as is common for LN adaptations.

Edit:

Gina Szanboti wrote:
So they're leprechauns that are fairies? Or fairies that are leprechauns? Couldn't they have just used one or the other?

As far as I can tell, in the show, leprechauns are a type of fairy that imitates humans. It might also be correct to call leprechauns a kind of fairy generally (if you believe Wikipedia), but I'm not folklore expert.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21