• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Go Nagai Debuts New Mazinger Z Film's Footage at Annecy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
One of the English dubs ("Tranzor Z") for an earlier TV version was one of the first anime I saw. I think that was in 1993 and I think that the first anime I saw were repeats of the 80s "Voltron" dub.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The Manulife "Mazinger Manager" commercials are actually quite good and oddly touching. There's about a dozen in all, including a 3 minute short that more or less sets up the situation. Last I checked they were all available on Youtube, tho only the 3 minute short was subtitled. Basically, it answers the question, "What happens to anime characters when the series is over?" In Mazinger's case, he got a job as a salaryman, worked his way up to manager, and after decades at his company has now decided it was time to retire... which he can do thanks to the help and planning he received from commercial sponsor Manulife.

I highly suggest everyone check them out, especially if you're a Go-Nagai fan.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone know if this is 2d or 3D CGI animation? The promotional image looks like 2d animation but Toei is so cheap that I wouldn't be surprised if it's a sad looking CG feature.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
So does anyone know if this is 2d or 3D CGI animation? The promotional image looks like 2d animation but Toei is so cheap that I wouldn't be surprised if it's a sad looking CG feature.

Have you seen Toei's CG movies from the past few years? Yes, Toei may not burst open the bank account when it comes to traditional animation, but their recent CG movies like Harlock & Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary look absolutely amazing, especially compared to how anime studios tend to do CG. Note that this doesn't exactly say anything about the actual content itself, but the visuals are stunning.

If Mazinger Z is going to be a CG movie, then I'd expect it to look pretty stellar, at the very least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1