• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Royal Tutor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first three episodes last night and while I can see that this anime may not appeal to some people, it was super funny and interesting for me. Can't wait to see the coming episodes. All the characters are so funny! Anime hyper
Justin-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Sensei, chiisai... kawaii... funifuni...
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
An interesting fact about the show is that the manga also has an stage play announced. And they decided to have the play's actors for Heine and the princes voice their respective characters in the anime. It's a truly curious approach
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite part was when Heine dramatically threw open the window after Leo ran away. I thought he was going to stand in the window and thunderously call out to him, and that the joke was going to be that the heirs all thought he was going to jump. And then he jumped! Very Happy I wonder if we're going to get an explanation of the landing of that headlong leap, and where he got the demon horse...
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His philosophy of veggies = bad, sachertorte = good....

sounds like a damned fine one to me. Mmmm sachertorte...

The princes are pretty generic, but Heine always surprises me. He's quite the accomplished gentleman. I keep seeing him as Miles Vorkosigan, which is probably entertaining me more than it should.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Seemed like the buildings identified were pretty accurate (and looking it up reminded be that German has the most enjoyable word for town hall, Rathaus). It's been a pretty enjoyable series even if pretty boys aren't my thing. I'll agree the chibi bits were very effective this episode. I especially loved the part where Heine shrunk to handheld size when Leo was carrying him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, käsekrainer sausages, which really weren't a thing in Vienna (or "Wiener" in a romanization joke I'm not entirely sure is intentional) before the 1970's.

First off, I'm slapping my forehead over never realizing the connection between "Wien" and "wiener" ("frankfurter" has always been obvious). But then I've only known about "Wien" being the name for Vienna since seeing it in Tari Tari.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by a joke. They never called it a wiener in the subs. The dictionary says it's a shortened form of "Wiener Wurst," which it says is German rather than an English derivative. Is that wrong, or am I misreading them?

I did get a kick out of Leo carrying Heine like a lap dog. He also seemed to be rather serene about being carried off by the doves. Smile The other fun moment was at the start when he threw open the window again. "Today's lesson will be how to leap head first out of a 3rd story window without being injured in the process." Wink
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
^There's nothing funny or dick jokey about the word wiener in Japanese where Vienna is also Wien and wiener is apparently just short for Vienna coffee when it doesn't refer to the sausage (again, strictly culinary). Calling the city (not the sausage) Wiener might get some chuckles in English (I mean, we do have a very attractive, almost exclusively male cast), but I'm not sure this was funny in the original. (Nothing funny about Wiener in German, either, it's simply Viennese.)
Kaeru89

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Giving C to such an entertaining series is poor for me
Same with others that I have observed how you valuate
Just because it is comedy, and not some slice of life, you do not need to lower its grade. Because it has different function
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Anne wrote:
Quote:
As a father, the initially soft impression we get from all those manly tears and funifuni cuddles is quickly turned around when he threatens Leonhard with the royal equivalent of "Daddy doesn't love you anymore if you fail." It's awful, cruel, and unjust – had Viktor spent a little more time and investment in his sons' education, the gaps in Leo's studies (and depths of anxiety) might not have grown to such astronomical proportions.

I agree. But it seemed like Viktor did this on Heine's request to finally get Leonhard to study seriously, so it's hard to be mad at him. And if he was really as strict as he pretended to be, he wouldn't have regraded the test.

As much as i'm enjoying the "cute boys doing cute things" antics, i'm looking forward to learning more about the mystery surrounding sensei.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I've heard that Haine's past is still an ongoing mystery in the source manga. The source drops little hints such as his relationship with Viktor, but hasn't stated any outright reveals yet.

Count Rosenberg's introduction is the precursor to the appearance of the 1st Prince, whose presence plays a major role in the storyline.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Damnit, that Rosenberg is so hot!
...but he's evil.
...but he's so HOT!

I have a strange feeling that he and the firstborn son are in cahoots with each other. I don't know why, but this guy doesn't seem like he's unveiling scandals just for himself. And the king taking a sudden interest in his other sons makes me think that the firstborn son might be feeling a bit insecure about his claim for the throne, so he's getting Rosenberg to throw his brothers out of the competition. Maybe that's just me, though.

Sidenote: If the firstborn son is what we think he is, then he might need a lesson or two from Sensei! Wink
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6/7 - This show has a predictable pattern, but it is growing on me. Very Happy

catbot158 wrote:
And the king taking a sudden interest in his other sons makes me think that the firstborn son might be feeling a bit insecure about his claim for the throne, so he's getting Rosenberg to throw his brothers out of the competition. Maybe that's just me, though.

I haven't looked at the manga yet, but I suspect that since the king is older than he appears, and the eldest son has to be 19-20ish, that perhaps Crown Prince Eins is looking to force the succession now/soon rather than wait any longer. Now is that his idea, or is he being manipulated?? The boys are curiously insulated from politics, and we don't know much more than they do.

It does seem to me that Heine is as much bodyguard as tutor. Somewhat laughable on the face of it, but clearly he has talents beyond the academic, and didn't he & the king talk of fighting/drinking together on the battlefield? I think he suspects that his younger sons are in danger, and rather than panic them, or force their enemy's hand, instead we get this "mere tutor".
Merida

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, isn't Eins the first in line by default as long as nothing happens to him or he isn't completely incompetent (which seems unlikely since he's supposed to be such a genius)? I wonder if Rosenberg is really acting on his order or out of some misplaced sense of loyalty...or perhaps there really was some kind of falling-out between the King and Eins which is the reason the latter left the palace? I hope we'll get answers to those questions soon.

Which doesn't mean that i don't enjoy the fluff, especially if it centers around Kai who's one of the most adorable characters in recent anime history! Smile
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
^There's a definite possibility Rosenberg is acting on his own, with Eins revealed to be unaware of his shenanigans. I'd find that disappointing, because it wouldn't explain Viktor taking charge after years of minimal involvement. When little Bruno overheard people gushing over Eins, they did mention something about him saying some "confounding things" at times, so hopefully, he'll be more than a perfect heir. And yes, I do think he's first until he's either been removed or deemed unfit - depending on what these confounding things are, Viktor might be planning something. He didn't become king just by playing royal butler.
The success, for me, definitely lies in the fluff/drama balance, so I'm hoping we won't get pure drama from here. The zoo episode did feel like a sort of fluffy calm before the storm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2