• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukigakirei

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
If episode 4 starts with a "yes", this will easily be my favorite romance in a year.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. The pacing is quite slow, but the characters feel so much more natural because of that.

Also, I was floored that they covered a song from Heaven's Lost Property, of all series, as an insert in episode 3. Is Hatsukoi a well known song in Japan? I had thought it was written specifically for HLP.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Also, I was floored that they covered a song from Heaven's Lost Property, of all series, as an insert in episode 3. Is Hatsukoi a well known song in Japan? I had thought it was written specifically for HLP.

The ED themes of HLP are all covers of old songs to begin with. Looks like it's originally from Kōzō Murashita (1983).
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Melicans wrote:

The ED themes of HLP are all covers of old songs to begin with. Looks like it's originally from Kōzō Murashita (1983).

Thanks, that definitely clears it up!
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the art for this series outside if the really out of place cg. My only complaint outside of the wonky cg, is the LINE product placement that just seems kinda out of place sometimes when it is mentioned.
鳳凰の王

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
If episode 4 starts with a "yes", this will easily be my favorite romance in a year.

I would like to temper the expectation by mentioning that the guy simply said "tsukiatte", which is an imperative form I found questionable in an interrogative situation, especially for someone who's socially awkward. I think he might just back out of it by making a quote of something, using the wordplay "tsuki atte". This is too Kimi ni Todoke to have a confession in episode 3, in my humble opinion.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
In episode 3 Kotarou confesses, and we even get a title drop: 'The moon is beautiful'.

Well that's it then. The series is over. Goodbye everybody!

More seriously, I do hope Akane does say "yes" in the next episode. My Love STORY! showed us that a couple can commit themselves very early (in middle-school even, good grief) and still give us a great romance story over the long term.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
I know I mentioned this in the preview guide discussion but Tsukigakirei, this episode especially, reminds me so much of Grimgar. The character designs, their interactions, and it even had a musical montage in the middle of the episode. This quiet low key approach is something I'd expect from the same crew.

That aside, I'm really enjoying this show. Although I don't know how I feel about the OP showing clips of the episode before it starts.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
鳳凰の王 wrote:
Morry wrote:

I would like to temper the expectation by mentioning that the guy simply said "tsukiatte", which is an imperative form I found questionable in an interrogative situation, especially for someone who's socially awkward.
It's not imperative. The imperative form would be tsukiae, with other possibilities being tsukiainasai or tsukiaina (not to be confused with tsukiauna, which is the negative imperative). Tsukiatte is a contraction of tsukiatte kudasai, with the "please" omitted but implied. It's basically a way to make a polite request in an informal context, which is fully consistent with their interactions up to now. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate continuation of the scene would have Kotarou awkwardly blurt out a "...kudasai" after a few seconds of silence. Smile

I in another thread wrote:
Tsukigakirei: an attractive art style and a pair of adorably awkward leads. My only nitpick is that if you're giving your work a title after a Natsume Soseki aphorism, then why make your male lead a Dazai fanboy? I mean yeah, it's fitting for an aspiring teenage edgelord, but I feel like there's already enough anime referencing Dazai with adaptations of and allusions to Run, Melos!, references to his double suicide attempts and him being a main character in Bungou Stray Dogs. The most we get about Natsume is references to the title of I Am a Cat.
Welp, looks like the show is committed to trolling me in particular! My thoughts when he started trying to recall who had said the quote were basically "Don't say 'Dazai', don't you dare say 'Dazai', don't even thiOH WHY YOU LITTLE...!" Very Happy

But yeah, other than that I'm really liking this so far. There've been comparisons between this and Scum's Wish in terms of idealized adolescence vs. realism, but this show so far has been much more reminiscent of my adolescence than SW (of course, that's not to deny the legitimacy of the feelings of the many people who would feel the opposite).
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Honestly, there is nothing to dislikes about this anime except that CG humans.
I hope Koutarou actually meant it(his confession) but they maybe will ended up in different high school. An interesting way to progress for romance story I guess.

I absolutely bored with love story that take too long time just to confess his/her love.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Melicans wrote:

Thanks, that definitely clears it up!

The song was also used in Boys Be.
Though a much more Rocking version. The full song is an extra in the set from Nozomi, it is in my players Playlist.
Liked the slower tempo version here, was kind of shocked to hear it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, after episode 4, this is just too irritating to continue with. When the first thing out of his mouth wasn't, "the teacher took my phone," I just rolled my eyes, but when he compounded it with, "Some stuff happened," I could barely finish the episode. And even once she knew what had happened, she was still acting all pissy about it, even though she'd never given him an answer about whether she'd even show up. Those two need to just forget about dating and first learn how to be functional human beings who can actually hold a conversation with somebody, anybody.

I suppose this might be a realistic depiction of middle school life, but I hated everyone acting like all their friends do even when I was that age, and have no more tolerance for it many years removed from it. There's not a single character I don't want to smack upside the head, including the teachers, so I'm not sticking around to watch them hopefully all die in the train wreck.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
I can usually overlook bad visuals if the story is good but the background CGI is noticeable and divorced from the "universe" of the fictional universe that is quite distracting. Yet the writing continues to be strong so I'll stick with it
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Those two need to just forget about dating and first learn how to be functional human beings who can actually hold a conversation with somebody, anybody.

Well they were perfectly capable of holding conversations with their friends, but yeah they are painfully awkward with each other.

Despite that it does seem to be progressing well enough romantically, as plenty of couples in such shows don't go out till near the end.

On the CG, while I don't have Nick's visual aversion to it, it was almost certainly used to excess in this episode. I don't think traditionally drawn background characters usually have any more personality than CG ones, rather than just looking like Random Bystander #42 (not that I blame them. I don't need every rando that you'll see for a second or two drawn with a unique personality, and they don't have the time). Nick doesn't give enough credence to the strengths of the technique-there's no way that the cube from Kado would look as interesting hand-drawn, at least on a TV anime schedule-but if you don't like it visually, it is understandable one wouldn't see its merits, not that I'm saying it doesn't have weaknesses of course.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the communication failures went from fairly charming in the previous episodes to pretty annoying in this one...and what's with all the secrecy? I get it, they are shy teenagers, but it's not some kind of "dangerous forbidden love" they need to hide at any cost and there seem to be plenty of couples in their class already. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4