• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukigakirei (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Tsukigakirei (TV)

Genres: romance, school
Themes:

Plot Summary: Kotarou Azumi and Akane Mizuno became third year students at junior high school and are classmates for the first time. These two, along with fellow classmates, Chinatsu Nishio and Takumi Hira, relate to their peers through mutual understandings and feelings. As their final year at junior high school progresses, the group overcome their challenges to mature and become aware of changes in themselves.
----------------------------------

Original TV anime by studio feel. I think this one could have a lot of potential if done right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm, I thought this first episode was kinda interesting. OP song has an unique vibe to it while the show itself has an atmospheric feel.

Character designs has some distinguishable outlines.

The episode itself seems pretty simple with the premise. We got the introduction of the main characters. Music is nice, really liked the light instrumental OST used in this. Akane is a pretty typical female character you'll find in these type of shows although she also has a love for running. Kotarou is the book guy as he enjoys reading.

Really curious to learn more about these characters as more episodes are aired. For now, I think the show has potential, will definitely be watching more of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I had to stop watching the first episode because watching some paint dry was exerting a greater level of fascination for me than what was going onscreen. Wow, I haven't been this bored by something in a long time. And the two leads are taking social awkwardness to new depths. Big pass for me.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, kid. I've got a book, it's called "My First Boner." You should check it out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Contrary to the probable expectation, the kind of pretty art style actually had me with low expectations, having me want to pick it apart a bit because I could feel a bit of trying to do something like that baseball anime a while back. But this show feels like it has the awkwardness of being a teenager down flat., it kind of made me appreciate the execution, even if some would be bored.

Weird level is that the episode had me kind of hating normies who could make friends and such so easily, but the rest of parts like library made me empathise with his character in full. For me so far it is looking like something I am interested in.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
Restaurant scene was great. really captures that that awkward moment of seeing someone you recognize unexpectedly, and you know they recognize you, and you know they know you recognize them, but you don't know them well enough to justify going over and greeting them.

The other thing that's striking me about this is the prevalence and significance of the smartphones. I know they're ubiquitous in anime and in the real world, but here it hit me a bit; for whatever reason, that aspect of this show makes me really ware of the fact that I was in middle school/high school in times older than these..
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
There's a strange comfort in this show for me. Although it's excruciatingly slow paced so far in this first episode, the awkward character interactions worked really well for me. As well as figuring out which class the students belonged to -- having done that and experienced being separated from friends into a new stranger class really hit close to home (school?). While I may be projecting or fantasizing too much, the dynamic between the male (Kotarou) and female (Akane) leads is super cute and I definitely see some sort of potential romance between the two. I particularly enjoy the flat colors or however you'd describe them. Though things seem to be constantly moving in the background (students/cars), it sort of feels weird because they're don't seem like hand drawn -- it's not bad, though. It actually made the scenes feel livelier.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

This was fun. To see the crowed being so invested into this school competition and the competitors being cheered just made it more exciting.

Some of the girls tease about Akane this episode which isn't too surprising considering that she's getting close to Kotarou. Compared to the first episode, this one had a lot more energy and also more heartwarming moments. I feel like Akane and Kotaru has grown closer now and their relationship is very realistic as well.

I hope this show can keep up the momentum.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
I think that it is interesting how she is in a situation where everyone is expecting her to like the guy on the track team, but she does not see him that way and as her interest in a guy who connects with her differently.

I could kind of really empathise with things he was doing, like the him in the aid station where that girl was giving him aid. It all felt pretty genuine.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Oh wow, that insert song this episode was nicely performed.

Once again we get to see some athlete competition (track and field). I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot of that. Akane and Kotarou's character chemistry feels slow but progressing. I wonder if Akane will accept after being asked out? That actually caught me off guard at the end.

Also, I feel like the moon in this show is symbolizing something but not sure what yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
He actually managed to ask her out this early in the show.
On another topic, the girl that has no trouble talking to him seems to have a little jealousy in her heart for Akane, specifically in terms of her athletic ability, but I wonder if we will see some other development.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually be surprised if she rejected him considering that she actually went to the shrine to look for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I know it is a betrayal to the narrative, to the focus of the show like the ED that shows the main pair so much together, but I kind o like Chinatsu more than Akane. Maybe with her it just feels like a release when she is openly talking to him rather than the so quiet afraid to talk to each other that we are having so far. Like it looked like Akane was a bit jelly over how he was with Chinatsu, he also walked home with her, but that was after she walked home with the guy that everyone thinks she should date.

Drama with the last scene with a love triangle starting.
Martin SAE

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly out of everything that's currently airing which I'm watching (this, Boku no Hero Academia, Shingeki no Kyoujin, SukaSuka, Re:Creators; I have also dropped Sakura Quest after 4.75 eps), I think this is honestly my current personal AoTS just because it feels kinda... well, like the actual types of interactions you get from two shy people at that age. Beyond this though, I want to give the directors huge props just because of how immensely good the scene composition is in general. The one type that they use repeatedly is putting something between the two main characters when viewed from the angle of the camera, which acts almost like a barrier (think of the tree in the park scene from ERASED ep 2; same kind of effect really), and at all times it feels like it's very deliberate and gives a good sense of the way the emotions of the characters are interacting throughout the scene. Episode 4 had that tree which was in the frame in the last scene, being positioned between the characters at all times throughout, and in episode 5 there were multiple instances of this throughout the episode, including with the first scene (the characters are shown through the windows from outside, with the wall between the windows separating them off from each other) and the last scene (all the way through the ep the entire camera was constantly focussing on bookshelves and shadows creating barriers between the two, them breaking through the barrier, and then slipping back to a position with a barrier between them spoiler[after Chinatsu contacts Akane over LINE to tell her that she has a crush on Kotarou]. Honestly I've just been immensely impressed with most stuff in this show all the way through, and I get that kinda empty feeling you get between weeks of a genuinely great show.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5
Maybe with her it just feels like a release when she is openly talking to him rather than the so quiet afraid to talk to each other that we are having so far. .

Being honest with your feelings is something that always bugged me in anime. The inability of characters to openly express their feelings often creates either drama or leads to a huge misunderstanding that hurts the relationship just annoys me. I really hope that's not how it comes to in this show. Though it seems to be building up tension with how secretive Akane and Curly are about their relationship. Perhaps fear of acceptance from others (friend/peers) and what not or maybe family though I can't remember if there was a clear answer. I, too, enjoy Chinatsu since she doesn't seem to be afraid of showing her affections.

But a question of interest raised this episode was "what does it mean to go out (especially as senior year middle schoolers)?. They're not really going out on dates or enjoying time with each other so can you call it love? Hope this is explored more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2