• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daichi Sorayomi Ends Keijo!!!!!!!! Aquatic Sports Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Damn 18+ volumes? That's pretty impressive for a series about nothing but girls slamming their boobs and asses together.

I really liked the anime it was hilariously ridiculous and fun. I hope the manga gets licensed over here eventually. Either that or a second anime about Nozomi and Miyata in the pros.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
The author stright up said that the manga was canceled because the Anime didn't sell.

I'm sorry but that's just disgusting, something that the Author has so little to do with is the reason for a series ending. I'm all for canceling a show because the manga isn't selling (See Jump getting rid of it's Dancing Club manga a few months ago.) but if the anime is doing OK there's no reason to get rid of it because the anime under preformed. I don't know the actually manga sales of Keijo! but...it just sucks.

But I did appreciate that the author acknowledged that the series was quite popular in America.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote

Well, it was a delicious run while it lasted. At least it got an anime out of the works, which is more than most series can hope for nowadays.

Goodnight sweet Keijo. May a flight of asses sing thee to thy rest
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
The author stright up said that the manga was canceled because the Anime didn't sell.

I'm sorry but that's just disgusting, something that the Author has so little to do with is the reason for a series ending. I'm all for canceling a show because the manga isn't selling (See Jump getting rid of it's Dancing Club manga a few months ago.) but if the anime is doing OK there's no reason to get rid of it because the anime under preformed. I don't know the actually manga sales of Keijo! but...it just sucks.

But I did appreciate that the author acknowledged that the series was quite popular in America.

Can you link any direct sources where Keijo's author said he was cancelling the manga for the above reasons?
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The anime totally bombed in disc sales. I think it barely sold 1k per volume. The manga was a poor seller from the start and they hoped the anime would at least boost the manga sales but it got absolutely no boost at all. Even the manga only sold around 6~8k or something per volume which is abysmal, even for a Shounen Sunday series.

I'm amazed it actually lasted this long.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Can you link any direct sources where Keijo's author said he was cancelling the manga for the above reasons?

I got it from this comment on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/66ojhv/keijo_is_getting_axed_next_chapter_is_the_last_one/dgk1alg/
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
I don't see how anyone can be surprised. They make an anime about tits and ass but censor the nudity. That's a recipe for unsold discs if I've ever seen.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
Just ain't right man.

Keijo!!!!!!!! is one of the few recent ecchi series I could legitimately call good.

It was a hilarious, yet somehow also badass, parody of shonen battle series.

And somehow that doesn't resonate with Japanese fans, so it bombs, while some ecchi series that are little more than vapid parades of tits and ass for days on end are successful. Crying or Very sad
Serinox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Yeah, well, but from what I've heard, the tankobon sales are also terrible, the series has been far in back of the magazine constantly for months now, so the ratings couldn't have been too good and the narrative/pacing has apparently gone downhill as well. Add that to the anime doing terrible as well and you can make a pretty good argument for not continuing the series.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The anime was last chance to get the manga sales to go up. So what this mean is that the Anime didn't sell and didn't help the manga sales so time to close the Keijo story and move on. Well, 18 volumes since 2013 was a pretty good run from sports manga, not great but still a good run.

Can't wait to see the next work from this artist.
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can be surprised. They make an anime about tits and ass but censor the nudity. That's a recipe for unsold discs if I've ever seen.

While the anime censors the nudity,there's no censoring whatsoever in the manga,but despite that it didn't sell well. I don't think the anime's underwhelming sales are related to its nudity censoring.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Japan's oppai-only love needs to be stopped. Boobs are just fake asses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
There is plenty of oppai in Keijo. If the author wrote a main male character who has Yakitate Japan-esque hands of the sun that, when massaging a Keijo player's ass, gets a player to their maximum potential, then it would be a mega hit success. The author did not and the anime didn't make one. It failed. Male otaku have plenty of wish-fullfilment fanservice to choose from already and only the likes of mega-hit properties like Queens Blade and its ilk can get them beyond the no-male-main-character barrier.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There is plenty of oppai in Keijo. If the author wrote a main male character who has Yakitate Japan-esque hands of the sun that, when massaging a Keijo player's ass, gets a player to their maximum potential, then it would be a mega hit success. The author did not and the anime didn't make one. It failed. Male otaku have plenty of wish-fullfilment fanservice to choose from already and only the likes of mega-hit properties like Queens Blade and its ilk can get them beyond the no-male-main-character barrier.

That's the real problem for Keijo.

Like you said, no male MC will not bring many fans to Keijo.
No male MC,
No "in your face" yuri.
Fan-service pretty tame.

Also because there is no bishonen or yaoi sub-plot it fail to attract the usual fans of nowadays sports anime, the female otaku.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Damn. This was quite an enjoyable show for me with its likeable characters and downright hilarious moves it had show. With the way the anime ended, it looked like there be room for a second season. Now, it seems very unlikely that it will get such a treatment. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3