• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daichi Sorayomi Ends Keijo!!!!!!!! Aquatic Sports Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well that's deeply disappointing especially after the anime bombed badly in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Unfortunate that greatness has to end.
ShounnickMD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Good riddance.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quoque tu wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can be surprised. They make an anime about tits and ass but censor the nudity. That's a recipe for unsold discs if I've ever seen.

While the anime censors the nudity,there's no censoring whatsoever in the manga,but despite that it didn't sell well. I don't think the anime's underwhelming sales are related to its nudity censoring.

Also, the anime quality went bad after half of episodes. You can see the derpy faces ruining it. And there is no fix in Blu Ray version. Which is why not many will buy it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Animation quality has nothing to do with it. Look how much Maken-ki or HxH sold which looked far worse the Keijo.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Honestly sounds like his editor is kind of a dick. I thought it was selling decently well, but I guess not...
I hope he's able to find someone a little more chill for his next manga though.
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There is plenty of oppai in Keijo. If the author wrote a main male character who has Yakitate Japan-esque hands of the sun that, when massaging a Keijo player's ass, gets a player to their maximum potential, then it would be a mega hit success. .

Funnily enough,there's someone close to that (not an MC though). There's a boob doctor (also the MC of another Sorayomi manga) who's able to diagnose any kind of injury with 100% accuracy just by touching the Keijo player's tits for a second.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
well considering that before the aniem aired, the manga was not even in the raw manga sites talks of how bad it's sales were. IIRc, his boob doctor manga also got cancelled.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well...It was an hilariously awesome ride. It's sad that Keijo simply didn't catch on in sales, but at least the eccentric sports were fun while they lasted.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first 4 episodes and I hope rest of it gets made into a 2nd season. Hell, why end it there? The anime can make more and more seasons with new characters in skimpier clothes.

My only complaint is that it censors itself. Come on, show nipples, guys!
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is so sad. This show and Prison School is what got me into ecchi/fan-service type anime again. Hopefully it gets a decent ending even with only one weeks notice.. At least it's after 18 volumes and not after 70 like Bleach.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Honestly sounds like his editor is kind of a dick

I am surprised people are surprised by this news. For about five years to date it has become standard procedure that a manga or light novel whose anime disc sales that drops below the manabi line gets cancelled shortly after. TBT it is a surprise when they do not cancelled, i.e. Kumamiko.

So for most writers getting an anime adaption is a signal to start thinking of your next work, because for every successful anime adaptions there are lot more mangas that get the axe.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

As people on reddit pointed out, it's fake. He hasn't updated his blog since March and says nothing like this at all.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Some of the best news I've heard all week! Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
^I didn't watch the show and don't care at all for anything that has to do with it, but that's a really annoying attitude. Let people like what they want to like and don't cheer when things they like fail. That's incredibly inconsiderate.

mangamuscle wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Honestly sounds like his editor is kind of a dick

I am surprised people are surprised by this news. For about five years to date it has become standard procedure that a manga or light novel whose anime disc sales that drops below the manabi line gets cancelled shortly after. TBT it is a surprise when they do not cancelled, i.e. Kumamiko.

So for most writers getting an anime adaption is a signal to start thinking of your next work, because for every successful anime adaptions there are lot more mangas that get the axe.

The manabi line is irrelevant now. And has been for the last few years, if not longer. That's simply not how anime makes money.
(For the record I was going under the assumption that the reddit thread was telling the truth though, and that has been proven false, so I don't stand by my statement that the editor is a dick.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3