• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 5 Versus Authority

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
A good article about a solid game. I've been enjoying P5 so far, it's really the closest thing I will get to a Lupin RPG. I had actually never heard the term picaresque before and I spent sometime researching the subject. It's always good to learn something new each day. [/spoiler]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty much what I got from some of the imagery from the game. It definitely follows that theme. I've been a long time collector of video game music and would really love to see something like this started here at the job. I own the soundtrack for P5 so I listen to it often when I go for walks. Hell, my mobile phone is pretty much filled tunes from Shoji Meguro. With tunes from DDS to P3-P5. But I digress.

Actually if you take the time to listen to the opening theme of P5, "Wake Up! Get Up! Get Out There! by Lyn. You will find some clues that work with the game itself. Anyone can search these lyrics. But just some of the lines mentioned in the song itself.

Wake Up Get Up Get out There!

There is also another song that plays into the whole mask thing as well by Lyn.

I often wonder if the music theme they chose also played a role. Much of the films in Japan from the 70's were very socio-political and covered numerous subject matters. Some of the score follows a slightly 70's disco pop theme (especially what has now been dubbed "disco strings") with the occasional "rock" that is found many of Shoji's Meguro's work. And much of his music does fit with the overall settings. So I wonder if that was a music choice made to reflect a very revolutionary era set in a fictional future.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
So I wonder if that was a music choice made to reflect a very revolutionary era set in a fictional future.

P5 isn't set in the future at all. The calendar says 20XX, but based on the days of the week it uses, and references to characters from previous games, it seems to take place in 2016. Which isn't a surprise, since that's the year it came out in Japan. It's an extremely contemporary game that deals entirely in contemporary issues.

Rather than vaguely hoping for some revolutionary era in the future, it's meant more as a wake-up call for the people now to rise up and demand change. The theme is "you live in this society too. You're living this injustice right now. So why aren't you doing anything about it?" It's an angry game, in a variety of ways.

Edit: I really enjoy articles like this that analyze the themes of the game rather than just telling us it's good.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Persona 5 takes approximately spoiler[five] years after 4 since the TV mentions once that spoiler[Rise is now 20].
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the game after about 80 hours. Good stuff, especially with its themes of rebelling against institutionalized "respect." I would argue that's not uniquely Japanese either, with the West having an obsession with "respecting" authority figures regardless of whether they've earned it and in turn people in authority demand respect as a default, looking down on those whose respect is required of them to have authority in the first place.

And just like its forebears, P5 also parallels this theme by picking a very specific type of mythology. P3 had classical mythology, P4 went with Shinto, and P5 uses Gnosticism with a dash of the Kabbalah. Though I can't really go into that without revealing a lot of the plot.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
So I wonder if that was a music choice made to reflect a very revolutionary era set in a fictional future.

P5 isn't set in the future at all. The calendar says 20XX, but based on the days of the week it uses, and references to characters from previous games, it seems to take place in 2016. Which isn't a surprise, since that's the year it came out in Japan. It's an extremely contemporary game that deals entirely in contemporary issues.

Rather than vaguely hoping for some revolutionary era in the future, it's meant more as a wake-up call for the people now to rise up and demand change. The theme is "you live in this society too. You're living this injustice right now. So why aren't you doing anything about it?" It's an angry game, in a variety of ways.

Edit: I really enjoy articles like this that analyze the themes of the game rather than just telling us it's good.

Yeah. it's definitely a political game. I think that's becoming the one thing I'm enjoying about the themes Atlus puts out in their games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1