• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Atom The Beginning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I will probably have no choice but to watch this since I am an Astro Boy fanatic, but I don't know if this will add to the greatness of the original concept or subtract from it. I have always wished for a proper reboot to the series that was closer to the 1982 version, but darker and more cohesive. The 2003 version was sort of good but very goofy at times, whereas the 1982 version was more serious in tone but didn't have the same consistent antagonist as the 2003 version did.

Since we do have another reboot supposedly coming out in September of this year, I do wonder how this prequel will reflect on that, if at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads up, the "Amazon's Anime Strike" link just links to the exact page of the review, so it doesn't actually go anywhere... Sad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
It's only been two episodes so far, and I'm enjoying this show. I can't wait for the next episode. Unfortunately, I find Ran to be rather annoying as a character. I hope she gets better down the line.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm already enjoying the manga and I'm excited for anime, if only it was on Crunchyroll.

On a side note I've always considered Astro Boy as Japan's equivalent to Superman in terms of impact on manga/anime and popular culture more than Goku and find it interesting coincidence that along with Atom The Beginning, Superman is getting a prequel tv series in the form of KRYPTON, which is about his grandfather.
the green death

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Another fun episode. I for one found Ran's flourish of removing her shoes while being chased really sure and funny. Great action scene and the humor enhanced it rather than lessened it for me.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone who decides that a kid in a school uniform (who looks younger than her teen-age) has to be a villain in my book.

Something is wrong with this sentence. I read it, re-read it, and re-re-read it, but it doesn't seem to have a predicate. Whatever was supposed to be the predicate got swallowed up by the subject.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This second episode was about half good and half terrible. The science presentation was poor and I absolutely could not stand that the sister didn't tell them anything. She barely tries for like 5 seconds. If she was trying to tell them about a new ice cream flavor that scene would have been fine. But attempted murder? Crazy robot battles that include their research robot? Better to just let something like that go I guess.

Then of course they declare that they'll have to wipe Atom. Because that makes sense. Something weird happen? Better not look into it. It's probably better to just do a wipe and hope it never happens again. Such genius scientists.

Basically the writing was entirely shit at the end. They clearly want to leave our two main characters in the dark for the time being about some stuff, but the writers couldn't think of any kind of natural way to do that. So they contrived some BS.

Not as bad, but I also felt their presentation was weak. I was waiting for the moment where they actually describe how their AI system works. Instead they just said a bunch of vague stuff like Bewusstsein and ego-consciousness and then weirdly started talking about their 1,000 horse power punch (fun aside, Astro Boy is packing 100,000 HP). The punch is obviously cool, but they gave no evidence to their AI claims even though they clearly have some.

I'm hoping this episode was just a fluke, because I want to like this show. It needs to do better.

Last edited by Panoptican on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I have only had a passing acquaintance with the franchise, seeing an odd episode here and there of pretty much all the incarnations, so I'm trying to spot the face. The two leads are obvious but are there other characters we should recognise? Is the younger sister of the Science jerk from lab 1 who will eventually be Tenmas wife?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
My complaints about this episode pretty much mirror Panoptican's. Atom saves her life, and she sees him as her hero, but she can't even speak a word on his behalf and just lets them say he's defective and go wipe his memory. Even if she's supposed to be autistic, which might explain her fixation on shoes in the lab even when that's the least important thing in the moment, and which may be what they're going for as opposed to just socially inept, she ought to be able to talk to her own brother. She was doing pretty good with Motoko.

And this is an era where they have smart phones, so to do a presentation with no video to show what they've already accomplished was hard to swallow. Even DARPA releases footage of Big Dog, et al.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Just a heads up, the "Amazon's Anime Strike" link just links to the exact page of the review, so it doesn't actually go anywhere... Sad

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who decides that a kid in a school uniform (who looks younger than her teen-age) has to be a villain in my book.

Something is wrong with this sentence. I read it, re-read it, and re-re-read it, but it doesn't seem to have a predicate. Whatever was supposed to be the predicate got swallowed up by the subject.

Whoops. Both things have now been fixed.
Parrad11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Atom saves her life, and she sees him as her hero, but she can't even speak a word on his behalf and just lets them say he's defective and go wipe his memory.

If I were in her shoes, I think I would have likely ended up doing the same thing.
She tries to answer them, but before she has a chance to say anything, they've already changed the subject.

I don't know if this is just me, but if I'm unable to fit what I want to try and respond with into the current subject of the conversation or if there isn't enough of a pause between those currently talking to be able to add to the conversation; I won't say what I wanted to, and will likely try and wait for another chance to say it. Often there isn't a chance, so the conversation I had prepared in my head ends up getting discarded.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Good engineers would have reviewed the logs to try and ascertain what caused the aberrant behaviour, they wouldn't just wipe it out of hand.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We also get an important glimpse of one professor who appears to be on Lab 7's side, a pickle-nosed fellow who's the sole person to take Umataro and Hiroshi's presentation seriously. He's also the most Tezuka-esque character to show up thus far, although I cannot for the life of me remember if I've seen him specifically elsewhere.

It's Saruta a recurring character from the Phoenix (Hi no tori) manga. His different incarnations appears in the different periods of the manga. He is often driven by rage, revenge or ambition, but still end having an important role in those stories.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
To me, Ran is showing signs of some shade of autism. Her perfectly ordered and described finds when asked what she found, her extremely quiet demeanor unless talking about things she finds interesting, the shoes and sitting like a lady suggest acts that have been drilled into her (or she's drilled into herself) to the point they're extreme muscle memory rather than something she has to think about, even her rapport with F14 the lab cat.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Saruta, that's it! Thanks, Black Turtle!

I have definitely entertained the idea that Ran is on the spectrum, and I agree that many of her behaviors make sense in that context. Her inability to speak over her brother and Tenma may also be an indicator of anxiety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6