• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Discusses New G-Reco Movies, Anime & Film Industries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Buying a Blu-ray or DVD takes more commitment (and cold hard cash) than viewing something on TV. At that point a person also knows what they are getting.

It is more an issue of the cash than the commitment. Disc sales are primarily looking at a specific demographic because of how prohibitive the prices are. You can't really compare the over all popularity between G-Reco which was more targeted towards that older, employed demographic and that of a series with a much wider target and a prime time tv slot by looking at a metric heavily biased towards the trends of G-Reco's target.

That might be an ok way to look at it for anime that need those disc sales to make a profit, but Gundam is a heavily merchandised property so disc sales alone aren't everything.

Chrysostomus wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
I can't agree with badly written characters though. At ALL.
I doubt anyone who watched the show that has Raraiya in it can say that with a straight face.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can argue that the retard girl who essentially has a whole episode about 'what if we let a mentally retarded girl fly a gundam' that magically becomes normal when she goes back to space isn't badly written.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
I doubt anyone who watched the show that has Raraiya in it can say that with a straight face.

Because god forbid people have different opinions, right?

I did though. Maybe I'm just tolerant to characters people take issue with because I can adjust to the writer's individual style. Hell, that might be why I was able to put up with Tomino's writing in the actual books he's done.

Besides, it was pretty clear that Raraiya wasn't all there so her "crazy" writing kinda fit. I mean, she does jump from really high up with no safety precautions before she's captured which could easily explain why she's out there (Oxygen deprivation is a thing and can have lasting effects, however varied.) I liked Kou in 0083, idiot that he was, so maybe my standards of enjoyable characters isn't the norm.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I liked Kou in 0083, idiot that he was, so maybe my standards of enjoyable characters isn't the norm.

Writing a character as an idiot isn't bad writing. Writing a character that suffered brain damage due to oxygen deprivation, showing at length through half the series the limitations she has as a result of the brain damage, then just hand waiving it away is bad writing.
ew121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah, but you can tell Tomino's quite bitter that G-Reco wasn't liked.

He's bitter about execs cutting things from G Reco and forcing him to change others.

He said in an interview that he had no control on how G Reco turned out and everyone that knows anything about Gundam knows that if Bandai doesn't want you to do something you won't get to do it no matter if it's Tomino or Miyazaki or if Tezuka came back from the grave to do a mecha anime.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
ew121 wrote:

He's bitter about execs cutting things from G Reco and forcing him to change others.

Oh that is something that Tomino is intimately familar with and frankly, is the story of how Gundam gets made.

Creators do something, build something that Bandai doesn't take a shine to it and says no or does something. And after that, getting Bandai to budge is like drawing blood from a stone.

It's been like that since MSG, and has NEVER stopped. I can honestly understand his rage at the fact that years later, many accolades latter, Bandai is still stiffing him like Tomino is new at directing.

Maybe "Angry Tomino" shows to production, but to say that Bandai would never plan for that would be an understatement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3