• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
How has the plot been put on hold? I've seen sufficient plot advancement, and the mechanics here are part of the plot (or at least intrinsic to the plot) anyway.

So when Grimoire of Zero is explaining how its magic system works, or the history of its witches, or how beastfallen are treated, or any other of its world building material, it's somehow being "lackadaisical." But here it's intrinsic to the plot and plot advancement? Explaining how the world works in one show is the same as explaining how the world works in another; both are world-building material and not required to tell a story. They are just there to help the viewers understanding of the world.

That's what I mean by putting the plot on hold. So far the actual story has been put on hold to do world-building for 3 episodes. What I mean by the actual plot are questions such as: Why were beings pulled into this world? Why is the MUP actually pulling people over? Why is MC's sister important, and why was her presumable death shown? Why is the MC important in this story? What is the point of all this happening so far? Is the MUP the actual antagonist? If so, why is she the antagonist?

There are others but those are just an example of what I mean by actual plot, instead of just world building. Of course we've had some extremely brief mentions of some plot related things, but the vast majority of screen time has been devoted to the "How the world works" portion of the show. I was simply stating that the way these these have been introduced are extremely boring to me.

Key wrote:
Besides, this isn't properly an isekai story. Calling it reverse-isekai might be more accurate, and those we don't see everyday.

Agreed, that's how I would term it as well. While it may be uncommon in anime, it's pretty prevalent in LN's, manga, Western novels, Movies, etc.

Key wrote:
Really, I'm not sure what you're expecting the series to be at this point. More constant action, maybe?

Honestly I just want it to be entertaining. That's really all I want. Even the aforementioned Grimoire of Zero has entertaining character banter and some comedy, even if so far it feels very lackadaisical (which I totally agree with you on.) So far Re:Creators has given me nothing to enjoy outside of speculation of what it could become. I don't have any reason to care about any of the characters so far, as they have done nothing to earn my endearment as a viewer. There really hasn't been any comedy either (besides the fire spell not going off which made me laugh.) As I've said before though, it's early in the show and I trust it will get better, especially being 2 cour. Watching episode 2 and 3 though felt like a chore, a sad feat after how enjoyable episode 1 was.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
[So when Grimoire of Zero is explaining how its magic system works, or the history of its witches, or how beastfallen are treated, or any other of its world building material, it's somehow being "lackadaisical." But here it's intrinsic to the plot and plot advancement? Explaining how the world works in one show is the same as explaining how the world works in another; both are world-building material and not required to tell a story. They are just there to help the viewers understanding of the world.

No, it isn't the same. Basically nothing about Grimoire of Zero's setting is going to strike any veteran fantasy fan as distinctive; hell, it's not even the only series this season to prominently feature animal people. Last year's GATE also had the problem of its fantasy side being fairly generic, but it did a far better job of getting underway because it pretty much assumed that viewers would understand fantasy basics and so didn't dwell on them much except for how they interacted with modern-day knowledge and technology (dragon scales being compared to tungsten steel armor, for instance).

Re:Creators, though, is a much more abnormal situation, at least for anime. (I only read LNs that get official English translations, so if there's a flood of stories like this out there that haven't been officially released in English yet then I'm unaware of it.) The exploration of whether or not a creator can alter a living, breathing incarnation of his/her creation on the spot is interesting because we haven't seen that done 500 times in anime before (if ever). Unlike characters in other stories who need lame excuses to spill world details, the characters here investigating such a topic is such a logical progression that it would be illogical if they didn't. Besides, determining how that works could go a long way towards estimating MUP's goals and their feasibility and determining whether or not there's a simple way to buff up for future conflicts against her.

I could say more, but what it comes down to is that this approach is just too slow for you, even given that this is a two-cour series. As someone who's been reading fantasy and sci fi literature steadily since the early '80s, though, what they're doing so far with this series has got me more excited about a world-hopping story than I have been in a long time. (Well, okay, excepting Saga of Tanya the Evil.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I always find "things happening" to be far less interesting than "characters react to things happening." I've found this show to be frustrating in the opposite way, in that a desire for things to happen has cut short what should have been some very interesting discussions. I suspect that, in the end, the actual details of the plot aren't going to be particularly interesting compared to how these disparate people react to a bizarre situation.

Or, to put it briefer, I would much rather see these people sit around talking all day than see the story move forward.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I always find "things happening" to be far less interesting than "characters react to things happening." I've found this show to be frustrating in the opposite way, in that a desire for things to happen has cut short what should have been some very interesting discussions. I suspect that, in the end, the actual details of the plot aren't going to be particularly interesting compared to how these disparate people react to a bizarre situation.

Or, to put it briefer, I would much rather see these people sit around talking all day than see the story move forward.

Much like another anime that I feel is being stingy on the exposition and you feel differently Smile
We may be in agreement with Re:Creators,I would enjoy watching them spend a few more episodes figuring out the nuts&bolts as it were, of what is and is not possible.

On another note or two;
Very interested on whose side the creepy school girl will end up with,though the opening seems to lean towards the antagonist group.
Thinking it would be fun if the Magical Girl,after her initial taste of 'reality' breaks her mold and goes bad girl.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
There's a big difference between exposition and character interaction. You don't need to learn any specific information about the world in order to appreciate a conversation between weirdos.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well what a interesting info dump this episode,the plot revealed for now Smile

Anyone else notice at roughly 23:06 during the credits,there among they yet to be named creations-Meteora seems to be talking to her double and Lady Ex Machina(Aliceteria) is in the background.
Kamui97

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Meteora's dilemma seems to carry some significant religious undertones that really piqued my interest.

The presence of beings and phenomena that do not follow laws of nature or physics is inherently contradictory to every other natural phenomenon or "mechanic" in our world, which is why some people reject something that relies heavily on faith over logic/reason. At the same time, believing absolutely in an otherworldly entity, and believing in everything that a religion entails, including values and virtues and the nature of the world, is something that not only brings peace to a lot of people, but does a lot of good because of the principles that most religions teach. I'm generalizing here, but the reality is the core of most religions are very similar in nature.

The conflict comes when fundamental laws of nature directly contradict the religious explanation of phenomenons like creation/evolution. I think the "great destruction" is a metaphor for these conflicts that directly question the validity of each side, which leads to a war of people trying to discredit (erase) each other. At the same time, the "great destruction" probably also refers to the theoretical future day when scientists will have figured out all the answers, and completely "reset" religious explanations to every natural phenomenon in the world. Based on people now and people from the past, it is logical to assume that the science vs religion war will peak because a lot of people will feel legitimately threatened, leading to massive conflicts and eventual chaos. We've already seen real declines in the number of people who are religious today compared to the past.

The way this show carries these types of themes in an understated way reminds me a lot of The Witness, which is one of my favorite games ever. Meteora is balanced, nuanced, and very thoughtful with the whole situation in a way that really makes me think and piques my interest in ReCreators world mechanics. Really enjoying this show so far, so much food for thought.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
And thankfully Kamui97, Re:Creators has the 24 episodes and the talent to keep this up.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
At least we finally get to see Silesia and Meteora in far less conspicuous street clothes, which is welcome because always walking around wearing their fantasy clothing would have been too conspicuous, making them needlessly stand out in crowds and creating implausibility.

There's a bit of a subtle explanation as to why that's suddenly happened now, too, if you notice the ending sequence. There's a scene there where Marine takes the two clothes shopping, and they have just begun living with her starting in the previous episode. I rather like how that comes through in an understated way.
Nordhmmer wrote:
Anyone else notice at roughly 23:06 during the credits,there among they yet to be named creations-Meteora seems to be talking to her double and Lady Ex Machina(Aliceteria) is in the background.

My interpretation of that is that those are not other "Creations" but just ordinary cosplayers that they're mixing in with.

Also, FWIW, the official site implies that this is 22 episodes, not 24.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I like this series a lot but it is a bit different than what I expected from the first episode. In the first 4 episodes this series has been one fifth action, one fifth character development, one fifth comedy, and two fifths parallel world discussion. A good fantasy series should have defined rules but this series is even more detail oriented than Fate Stay Night. I do enjoy the humor of the series and the conversation between Alicetaria and Mamika gave a lot of information about their characters.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

My interpretation of that is that those are not other "Creations" but just ordinary cosplayers that they're mixing in with.
Also, FWIW, the official site implies that this is 22 episodes, not 24.

Interesting take Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well, considering how most of the other images in the closing feature the characters having other "real world" experiences.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and we've seen before that MUP tends toward awkwardly grandiose declarations

You mean awesomely grandiose declarations.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I like this series a lot but it is a bit different than what I expected from the first episode. In the first 4 episodes this series has been one fifth action, one fifth character development, one fifth comedy, and two fifths parallel world discussion. A good fantasy series should have defined rules but this series is even more detail oriented than Fate Stay Night. I do enjoy the humor of the series and the conversation between Alicetaria and Mamika gave a lot of information about their characters.

Tbf the only reason the fsn Nine isn't has detail oriented is because it has a really detailed source material and it's trying to focus more on action aka the details have to be thrown out.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The beginning of this episode reminds me of Monty Oum, creator of RWBY, who died in 2015 when he was only 33. Such is life.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
and we've seen before that MUP tends toward awkwardly grandiose declarations

You mean awesomely grandiose declarations.
MUP's adorable naivete reminds me of The Lego Movie in some respects. Pretty soon she'll be saying something akin to "Bring out the Polish of Na IL!!!"

Also, am I the only one who thinks MUP could pass as Laura Bodewig's older sister?
She even has that touch of chuuni. XD

I hope the show doesn't just roll with whatever Meteora guesses is happening because that seems a bit rote. Rather than the universe unraveling I think the creations probably exist in their own "reality sandbox" that still allows them to interact in ways that don't completely destroy physics. They did mention some "multiversal interpreter" which would "translate" a 2D person into a "3D space". Of course this probably only works well in Re:Creators current (2D) anime form as opposed to a live-action television show which would require some considerable special effects to create a non-jarring experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 33