• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Biggest Animated Moments of Winter 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the being X scene from episode 2 of tanya the evil wasnt mentioned
dash56

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
My favorite bit of character animation was from Satania's classroom entrance in ep 1 of Gabriel Dropout.

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/29699
HosannaExcelsis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
You must have been hard-up on stuff to mention after Kobayashi, huh? Anyway, I have to admit I disagree with two of your selections here. First, when I watched Konosuba S2 I felt it was well-crafted throughout. Obviously some episodes had more animation than others, but there weren't any episodes where the drawings looked unpleasant and the direction and composite was always highly refined. So I honestly am not sure what the "some outsourced and rushed episodes" you're referring to are, unless you're referring back to season 1. Second, I honestly think ACCA is just a mostly bad production with few highlights outside the ED. Even in the in-house episodes Kugai's treatment of Ono's designs rarely came off right, certainly a lot weaker than Nakazawa's handling of them for House of Five Leaves. Even Studio Pablo's backgrounds, which I had been looking forward to, came off as rather undercooked compared to their work in Seraph of the End. Frankly, ACCA felt like a really flat show production-wise, and given the blandness of the setting and characters it really needed a stronger production to keep my interest.

But, you know, these are just my feelings of what I watched. I appreciate you bringing attention to the craft of anime here and elsewhere.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Surprised the being X scene from episode 2 of tanya the evil wasnt mentioned
Agreed, especially after it being Studio NUT's big debut.

Look at it!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
^There were a number of fairly cool scenes from Tanya, but just a few scenes like that probably aren't enough to be considered for this list. It seems maybe a better title for the article would be Best Animated Shows, or most Interestingly Animated Shows.

Always really enjoy reading these. I'll have to watch ACCA at some point, but I did also get the impression that it was a little too stiff and lifeless for my liking based on the episode write ups on the blog. Though I can certainly appreciate some of those highlights out of context on the booru.
My biggest problem with these write ups is that it takes me a solid 45 minutes to read through the whole thing because every time I hit a link to the booru I end up spending several minutes perusing the work of that specific artist.(I'm kidding of course, that's not a problem at all, it's just amusing to me how easy I am to trap. lol)

Also, just a side note, but the link to "Hayate's Combat Butler #39" links to the Toshiyuki Sato Konosuba clip from Ep#06 instead of Hayate's stuff.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyable read! Still haven't finished Akiba's Trip, but i remember episode 1 having some shockingly well done fist-fighting animation. Can't find that scene on that site, but it was when the two main heroines first meet in the hobby story, i think. Also love that you included that bit of subtle emoting from Dragon Maid's last episode, when Kobayashi is told Tohru left. Maybe my favorite bit of animation in the whole show.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
While Tanya wasn't an amazingly well animated show, it was definitely above average, and it had some nice highlights. The last episode in particular had some great sakuga. Animation wise, this winter wasn't the strongest, but it had it's moments.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's an inherent disrespect towards stiff consistency in Koichi Kikuta's design sheets for KONOSUBA. He conceived characters with loose forms and slovenly looks, which is rather appropriate for a cast full of misfit heroes, and achieved unusually high levels of expression thanks to the lack of restraint. Even when it comes to its fanservice, the show can be amusingly self-indulgent; the obscene exaggeration of any titillating scene and yet unusual consideration of the sagginess of breasts purely comes down to Kikuta's preferences, rather than trying to make attractive for as many viewers as possible. I can't blame anyone for being put off by any of these choices, but it's weirdly refreshing to see a series defying the norm in favor of interesting craft, even when it comes to obscenely exaggerated cartoon breasts.

Serious question: have you ever see the original character illustrations? There isn't a stiff consistency there either. Even for the fan service stuff, sometimes the breasts sag a lot and sometimes they don't. Really all Koichi Kikuta did was to say faithful to what was given to him.

You also seem to make it sound like Koichi Kikuta is responsible for conceiving those designs when Mishima Kurone did the original illustrations.

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster about Konosuba S2. It really seems pretty much entirely intentional.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
While I do enjoy reading the blog, it's nice to see stuff from Kevin on this site. There was some overlap between stuff already covered on the blog, but I don't mind since it is here in part for those who don't read it. A good read nonetheless.

relyat08 wrote:
My biggest problem with these write ups is that it takes me a solid 45 minutes to read through the whole thing because every time I hit a link to the booru I end up spending several minutes perusing the work of that specific artist.(I'm kidding of course, that's not a problem at all, it's just amusing to me how easy I am to trap. lol)

Even just looking through every clip adds a good amount to reading time. Not that I'm complaining.
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Konosuba is basically capitalizing on what Looney Tunes perfected decades prior.though expressive exaggeration was subdued ever so slightly. If Looney Tunes cranked exaggerated expressiveness to 11 then Konosuba dialed it back to about an 8, which is still pretty damn high, and the character modeling was totally on point to perfectly convey the intended mood. Could the non-exaggerated moments have benefited from more "high-quality" (on-model) animation? Sure, but ultimately it didn't matter.

Also, before Konosuba I was beginning to think 21st century anime artists didn't know what typical breasts actually looked like, or that adipose tissue is affected by gravity just like everything else. A surprisingly human aspect from a show so cartoonish.

And is Aqua perpetually nopan? I vote yes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Quote:
And is Aqua perpetually nopan? I vote yes.

The figure currently for sale has a black thong. Sad
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think there was official art showing her wearing striped panties too. Shame. I'm still sticking to the nopan thing. lol They can't fool me!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I think there was official art showing her wearing striped panties too. Shame. I'm still sticking to the nopan thing. lol They can't fool me!

You are correct. A Light Novel illustration shows her with striped panties. So she is shimapan rather than nopan.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I might be making a spurious connection, but it seems to me that the watercolor-like backgrounds in Dragon Maid bear a striking similarity to Bunny Drop.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

You are correct. A Light Novel illustration shows her with striped panties. So she is shimapan rather than nopan.

theory is that she makes them invisible using magic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2