• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noragami Season Two: Aragoto [Limited Edition] BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I was glad the series was popular, but it was the biggest disappointment of the season for me. Season 1 had a pacing and atmosphere that I loved but season 2, in order to squeeze in two arcs that were separate seasons on their own, rushed through as much as possible with no care for that atmosphere. Events just happen with no room to breath. The only two episodes I had zero problem with the pacing was 4 and 5, the two that was intentionally non-stop action.

I remember the interview where the director admitted they had to create the Rabo-arc because it would take about 10 episodes to do the Bisha-arc but they only had three. And then Aragoto condensed it to 6....... The moment I saw episode 1 I knew where they wanted to end it and how rushed it was going to be. And then they got really screwy with arbitrarily rearranging and changing events which just created new plotholes and huge discrepancies for potential future seasons. Just overall a mess. I'm glad anime-only fans enjoyed it at least.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
I read that the Funimation.com streams had an odd situation where most of the episodes ending credits (English cast) reused season 1's credits... e.g. Mutsumi is credited despite having no season 2 appearance. Was this fixed for the home video? If not that's pretty lazy though not surprising. Funimation probably didn't want to pay more money fixing an error if not enough people complained about it; most fans probably skip the credits anyway and didn't notice.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
^
I checked a couple of episodes, and it doesn't look like this matter was corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Norgami, and it works well as something to show to friends. I brought it along while visiting a friend whose wife isn't that into anime, and she liked it. That reveal at the end definitely left them both disappointed that there aren't more episodes.

It also seems like the show did well for Funimation. I've seen plenty of shows where the first season had an LE release, but the second only had a standard version since the first season didn't sell as well as they wanted.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I ultimately found the Bishamon arc very disappointing since it ended up relying on a massive amount of convenient memory loss, bunch of people not talking to each others (even when threaten with death) and just generally a lot of fudging of details to make the story go in the direction they wanted.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it floundered later with an anime-original arc.

Yeah, gotta impulse the stupid common thinking that non-canon chapters are the worst. For God´s sake, it was a good inclusion to the franchise, and it was in the same level as the rest of season 1. I´ve seen some reviews say that this non canon arc was bad, which is stupid.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes I hate it when someone thinks something is bad when I, the one with the right opinion, think it's good. So stupid.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The last episode ends with a jaw-dropper of a revelation about Yato's “father”, which raises big questions about the meaning of certain scenes earlier in the series. Whether or not there will ever be another season to expand on that remains to be seen, however.

The manga currently has 2 major arcs (plus various character + worldbuilding chapters) after the anime's end. Worldbuilding chapters hint to the Father's past, but never outright confirms anything.
Patches

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this month's Gekkan Shounen Magazine came with a notice that the manga is now on indefinite hiatus while one or both of the authors recovers from an unspecified illness. :(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1