• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Holiday Cheer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The bandana tied under the nose is because they are pretending to be ninjas (who are known for their sneaky skills).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 pm Reply with quote
OK, so that's... reason # 15 I've gotten in my mailbox about this. Everyone.. and I mean everyone seems to have a different interpretation of why people do that. Don't tell me yours is 'right', either, since I have 15 others here who will all say differently.

-Z
sacchan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the bandana tied under the nose is the stereotypical Japanese thief fashion. It's sort of a mask to hide your face. The look is often seen in Japanese period dramas (like Nezumi Kozo).
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's the "truth" but it is right, just as all 15 of the others maybe right. Considering how long Japan has been around there are alot myths, alot that probably have gotten mixed up over the years.

You know sometimes, the Answer column is pretty low on answers (but luckily Zac pads it with his opinions when it's his turn.).

Zac wrote:
OK, so that's... reason # 15 I've gotten in my mailbox about this. Everyone.. and I mean everyone seems to have a different interpretation of why people do that. Don't tell me yours is 'right', either, since I have 15 others here who will all say differently.

-Z
Zeiram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:50 pm Reply with quote
hmm, i was thinken sumthen like silencing your breathing, could be all of the above i spose, fun
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's like it is in America where most thieves put a stocking on their head, or a those stupid ski masks. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1