• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
While Nyaa was rumored to go down because the owner got spooked, BBT did go down because the server owner got spooked. It moved servers ever since but since it's a big operation it's going down for maintenance every once in a while to get everything checked out and has stopped working publicly - you can still get in and use the site and tracker as normal if you had an account.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
While Nyaa was rumored to go down because the owner got spooked, BBT did go down because the server owner got spooked.

It's not a rumor anymore. HS' Twitter confirmed the shutdown was due to the recent EU situation.

I hope everyone moves to IRC and doesn't just give up and use illegitimate streaming sites. Don't give ad revenue to lazy rippers who put in no real work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Life indeed finds a way. Look up the history of piratebay. They survived police raids, the imprisonment of the founder and other fun stuff. The Deep Web will always be the last resort but there are literately thousands of other avenues, google even lists them above legal sites (let´s maybe look into that one...), to burn though before such a drastic measure would be taken by the scene.
When one door closes, another two piracy sites open.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
haha, pirate bay, the oens who wanted to put some raspberry pis with satellite internet on the ocean to avoid any laws.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Cut off one head, two more shall take its place. HAIL HYDRA!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I imagine there must have been a decline in the demand for pirating content now that it's so easy and inexpensive to watch legally.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
I understand why companies want the illlegal industry to be gone. Since in their eyes they miss out on income. However i think those who use pirate websites either wont ever care too buy, dont have the means to pay for legal streaming or just dont have the money for it. In the end the end result will hardly be in favor for companies.

If i look to my own situation; Since im Dutch (from the Netherlands) im glad there are piracy website otherwise my hobby to watch anime would be a real boring one with waiting 1-4 years to import anime from Australia, USA or the UK. Since there are no anime companies here in the Netherlands i need to import it. I would pay for legal dub streaming but Funimation Now isnt available here, probably because we are a too small market to pay for streaming rights.

I imported anime in the past 3-4years once i finally became hooked to anime for over 10.000 euros lol. Way to exnepsive hobby together with my gamerlife...
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I imagine there must have been a decline in the demand for pirating content now that it's so easy and inexpensive to watch legally.

If you live in the mighty USA yes, but If you don't like me that I live in the other side of the continent I can't watch anything from Funimation or Amazon legally, the only option I had is illegal sites or cheat the system in some form that is still illegal anyway, so yeah, I'm pretty f***d
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Only in ’Murica.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

You would be surprised by how wrong that statement is. Neutral
Omega13

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Perhaps, but until 'inexpensive' becomes 'free', piracy will never go away. Heck, even then it will remain just for those who want to 'stick it to the man'.

Last edited by Omega13 on Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I liked and used Nyaa a lot but I can get around just fine without it. I DO hope that this affects those damn streaming sites and I hope those get taken down.

jenthehen wrote:

Uhm, no. Download numbers were as high as ever.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Could anime piracy be a reason why Japan has stopped the production of VCRs?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-14/japan-last-vhs-video-tape-recorder-maker-ends-production-this-month/.104283
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
They were still MAKING VCRs?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Funny thing about that; its hellishly wrong especially if you don't live in NA. Even then, there's some definite pick and choosing going on within the NA side (like Crunchy blocking Canadian free users last year with claims to the economic /$$$ situation despite still providng catalogue titles to places with worse economies on occasion.)

That's not even going into scenarios where the only way to watch certain series, Macross or LoGH for example, for years was via fansubs. Unless you wanted to support Harmony Gold ( blah!), fansubs have basically been the only way to watch the recent entries of Macross with the exception of the Frontier movies having the boxset which had English subs as a selling point iirc.

LoGH was only recently licensed while having almost universal praise for years too. There's also cases of shows just not being finished or incomplete. Case in point, GGG is the only Brave entry with an NA release and even that never got finished as neither version of FINAL was brought over.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13