• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Alongside Stardust Memory, this is the other Gundam entry that made me yawn for its entirety. Alright, it has the idea of grounded war, about common soldiers, and the bond between them. Thing is, I don't care one single bit about these characters nor I can find what makes them remarkable or worth of exploration (in fact, I don't even remember any of their names). At best it had some touchy moments here and there around the ending and final fights but I just didn't feel it that much.

And for what it's worth, the setting for the fights felt criminally underused and boorish.

Luckily, I have War in the Pocket which I think tackles all of what this tried to do but tighter and just better executed.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Of the handful of Gundam series I have seen mostly or completely, this one is my favorite by a mile, and for all of the reasons stated in the review. Don't think I ever saw that last episode, though; guess I'll have to look that up sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dub is passable at best

=0

=|

>=[
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
This is far and away my favorite Gundam anything I love this OVA. I love how gritty and realistic it is. Like the review says no Newtypes, no powers, no super gundam just soldiers fighting for their lives in the One Year War. The heroes have above average mobile suits that while they are gundams they are mass produced that in no way come close to performing at the level of the RX-78. It has the best battle of any gundam series in my opinion with the aforementioned fight between Shiro in the EZ-8 vs Norris in his Gouf Custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kEuNfbTWc
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Dub is passable at best,
So if a B+ is passable at best, what is a C-?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:

That's the overall rating. There is no specific grade for dubs in ANN's reviews.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I watched my BD set just yesterday, and 08th MS Team continues to be among my favorite Gundam shows. It is easily one of the best Gundam animes. I agree with the general sentiment that 08th MS Team is an easy recommendation for new Gundam fans and any anime fan.

Key wrote:
Don't think I ever saw that last episode, though; guess I'll have to look that up sometime.

If you are referring to episode 12, it is a sort of epilogue. To me it is not required viewing because it is inconsistent, and story is nicely wrapped up in episode 11.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
While I like the attempt to be "realistic" I kind of hate it as a whole. Shiro is remarkably stupid even for a Gundam protagonist and the de rigueur anti-war stuff is very clumsy maybe because of the "realism". While for once all the characters in a Gundam series are adults Shiro acts like a middle-school kid far too often. I also found the Romeo-and-Juliet plot to be terminally uninvolving; Aina doesn't particularly seem to care about the Zeon cause and is just doing what's expected of her so the conflict is really pretty flat. The ending is melodramatic and silly which contrasts strangely with the "realism" it put so much effort into.

Little things like the bizarre sight of a Zeon general who is clearly a bancho confuse me but don't really hurt things.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
One of my top favorite Gundam series ever. Bonus is Chihiro Yonekura performing the OP and ED. Smile
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
One of the Gundam greats. I love how it's essentially Vietnam Gundam with a focus on the ground troops instead of the Aces like Amuro or Char. It shows that war has many different levels and the conflicts faced by the mooks are different from the people at the top
slau783

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite Gundam shows as well. I wasn't planning on upgrading from my DVDs for show of this age, but the second bonus nine-minute short film makes it so very tempting.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:

Like BlackIris_ said, overall grade which does work out to the dub being a C- if you go by the standard grade point scale. Three As (4.0 each), One B+ (3.3) and the C- (1.7) for the dub works out to a 3.4, which would be considered a B+.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
One of the Gundam greats. I love how it's essentially Vietnam Gundam with a focus on the ground troops instead of the Aces like Amuro or Char. It shows that war has many different levels and the conflicts faced by the mooks are different from the people at the top
08th MS Team definitely feels like Vietnam - Gundam Edition, while other One Year War stories feel more like World War II.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
This is one of my favorite Gundam shows as well. I wasn't planning on upgrading from my DVDs for show of this age, but the second bonus nine-minute short film makes it so very tempting.

Why wouldn't a show of this age be worth upgrading to blu-ray? Its an OVA remastered from film masters and looks gorgeous, the old DVD's don't give the animation justice.

Its new anime where DVD & blu-ray aren't as drastic of an upgrade I find. I mean DVD's look pretty good these days but back when The 08th MS Team was released DVD quality was a mixed bag. When an old cel animation show like this is remastered on blu-ray its a drastic upgrade, I can't really ever say that about non-old anime.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
I felt like Shiro and Aina's romance was the least believable part of this series. It might've been the fact that we dont see everything but man, it felt rushed.

Levonr wrote:

Why wouldn't a show of this age be worth upgrading to blu-ray? Its an OVA remastered from film masters and looks gorgeous, the old DVD's don't give the animation justice.

Its new anime where DVD & blu-ray aren't as drastic of an upgrade I find. I mean DVD's look pretty good these days but back when The 08th MS Team was released DVD quality was a mixed bag. When an old cel animation show like this is remastered on blu-ray its a drastic upgrade, I can't really ever say that about non-old anime.

Not everybody knows whats on what. Just because a show was done a film doesn't mean it will look better on BD than DVD. Getter Robo Armageddon was also done on film but said BD release was ugly. Surprised
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Not everybody knows whats on what. Just because a show was done a film doesn't mean it will look better on BD than DVD. Getter Robo Armageddon was also done on film but said BD release was ugly. Surprised

Yeah some old cel anime are upscales but I don't find them that common, at least for US releases(worst being Sailor Moon). Although I assume Sentai will release Legend of the Galactic Heroes on blu-ray...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2