• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate: The Movie BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
I thought the movie was alright. Not great, not really something at all essential and it really doesn't add anything to the story and it's a less satisfying conclusion than the initial ending or that of the OVA, but it's a decent time killer and I don't really mind that I spent the money on the Blu-ray. Could see watching it again next time I rewatch the series.

Though the One Direction namedrop in the dub took me completely out of it for a second. And given the movie takes place in 2011 that's a fairly anachronistic reference to make anyway given while they were around they weren't as much of a go-to thing.
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie was better than the series, but I think thats only because I played the VN before watching the Anime.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
I thought the movie was alright. Not great, not really something at all essential and it really doesn't add anything to the story and it's a less satisfying conclusion than the initial ending or that of the OVA, but it's a decent time killer and I don't really mind that I spent the money on the Blu-ray. Could see watching it again next time I rewatch the series.

Though the One Direction namedrop in the dub took me completely out of it for a second. And given the movie takes place in 2011 that's a fairly anachronistic reference to make anyway given while they were around they weren't as much of a go-to thing.

There's a OD reference?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand how the sub and dub scores can be so low. I found the performances to be very solid in both versions, just like the original series. I think I rarely ever see the dub and sub have different scores from each other too.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I honestly don't understand how the sub and dub scores can be so low. I found the performances to be very solid in both versions, just like the original series. I think I rarely ever see the dub and sub have different scores from each other too.

the scores are for the show/movie as a whole, not an individual rating for how the show sounds in either language
RANGIT

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
Trina Nishimura's Kurisu feels a little stilted, but Michael Tatum does a fine job of translating Okabe's self-serious yet silly affect into a fair English equivalent.

I thought it was the best performance I've heard from Trina Nishimura yet. It felt very real to me. I guess I can understand why it would feel that way as the film's English dub was very subdued, even more so than the TV series dub. Quite frankly, I loved Colleen Clinkenbeard's choice of directing it this way.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
StarchildStorm wrote:

There's a OD reference?

I forget the exact context but if memory serves Daru says something about his game women and Kurisu accuses him of having stolen it from one of their songs.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
BringBackUzume wrote:
There's a OD reference?

I forget the exact context but if memory serves Daru says something about his game women and Kurisu accuses him of having stolen it from one of their songs.

Actually, it happened because spoiler[Mayuri and Luka/Ruka told Kurisu that Daru's already dating someone online and she couldn't believe it especially after they showed her the picture of said online date. This led her to asking Daru what the girl he's dating think he looks like. He shows a cropped/photoshopped image of himself that looks deceivingly pretty and so the English dub reference was made.]

The English dub's reference wasn't too far off though as One Direction started getting attention (at least in the UK) in 2010 due to The X Factor, but only in the 10th of August 2011 did their "What Makes You Beautiful" single premiere on BBC Radio 1, which was a week after Kurisu's arrival in Japan from America. Still, they only got really famous worldwide about a year later. So yeah, I'd just consider it an obscure reference by English dub Kurisu. Laughing
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
Reading the VN and watching the anime I think this movie is perfect. Finding out why spoiler[Okabe Rintarō came to the name of Kyouma Hououin that was enough right there for me to watch the movie.] Also the humor between the characters is just as good as the series. This is my opinion as a fan of the Stein Gate VN and series.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
I found the commentary track amusing because Colleen Clinkenbeard kept talking about working with Jackie Ross..........................who is really just Ashly Burch. She kept talking about about how under used Jackie Ross is and how it was an honor that they could get Jackie Ross back again and so on. Is there some type of legal reason they couldn't use Ashly Burch's real name?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
I found the commentary track amusing because Colleen Clinkenbeard kept talking about working with Jackie Ross..........................who is really just Ashly Burch. She kept talking about about how under used Jackie Ross is and how it was an honor that they could get Jackie Ross back again and so on. Is there some type of legal reason they couldn't use Ashly Burch's real name?

I think the reason is simply that they respect an actor's choice to be credited under a different name. Even when it is clearly an alias, they won't outright say who it is. For example, in the commentary for Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, Jerry Jewell mentioned that a character was played by "Roseanne Palmer," but it was never stated who that was, even though everyone in the booth new the name was a joke. Actors will have their reasons for using an alias, whether it's because of content or maybe to get non-union work, and it is a professional courtesy to honor that. Sure, people might figure it out on their own, but that can't be helped.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Valkyrie Drive, it's probably a content thing, using an alias because the anime is close enough to softcore that you want it separated from your proper resume.

In the case of Steins;Gate, Burch normally works union rates, so I'm guessing they weren't going to pay union for her to reprise that role, but she was still interested in playing it. Taking a non-union name to perform a role underneath the union pay grade to protect your work and career going forward is extremely standard practice.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
In the case of Valkyrie Drive, it's probably a content thing, using an alias because the anime is close enough to softcore that you want it separated from your proper resume.

In the case of Steins;Gate, Burch normally works union rates, so I'm guessing they weren't going to pay union for her to reprise that role, but she was still interested in playing it. Taking a non-union name to perform a role underneath the union pay grade to protect your work and career going forward is extremely standard practice.

She used an alias for the Steins Gate tv show as well. Even though Colleen Clinkenbeard mentions her name over half a dozen times in the commentary track for this film, Jackie Ross is not a real person, lol

I find this kind of weird though, because Ashly Burch has worked for Funimation on projects such as Attack on Titan and DBZ: Kai and used her real name. I also know that Texas is a non union state for voice actors; so what's the deal here?
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

That's what I thought too at first, but then the Attack on Titan English dub came out some time later with her name on it. I don't think that was a union project. Same goes for Space Dandy. Then again, it might just be her initially wanting to use an alias for non-union projects and deciding to keep it that way for the ones she already did. Maybe the bigger shows that were set to air on Toonami made her change her mind about getting credited.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
JacobC wrote:

She used an alias for the Steins Gate tv show as well. Even though Colleen Clinkenbeard mentions her name over half a dozen times in the commentary track for this film, Jackie Ross is not a real person, lol

I find this kind of weird though, because Ashly Burch has worked for Funimation on projects such as Attack on Titan and DBZ: Kai and used her real name. I also know that Texas is a non union state for voice actors; so what's the deal here?

Ah, that was probably for consistency reasons, then. For some reason, I thought she used her real name on the first TV series. They would definitely keep it no matter the case for the movie then.

As for the rest of it, there's no rule saying you can't pay people more, it's just beneficial (for the amount of dub work Funimation produces) not to do it for all cases. DBZ and AoT are probably shows where a higher pay rate was considered worth the expense, while Steins;Gate was not. Funimation reaches outside their regular talent pool for bigger shows all the time for this reason: the cost-benefit balance allows them to pay union rates, so they can get more of the names they've always wanted to work with on their shows. I remember Jeff Nimoy citing that as the reason he didn't reprise his role as Wolfwood for the Trigun movie; they weren't willing to pay union rate for the role, cover the hotel he wanted, that sorta thing. (Granted, airing all those details and more was not a great idea on his part, but the information's out there, and it gives us an idea of how Funimation prioritizes budgeting for voiceover depending on the project.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1