• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Yaoi Anime Get Dubbed?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Gravitation got a dub by Right Stuf in 2004.

Sentai also recently dubbed the shonen-ai OVAs This Boy Can Fight Aliens and This Boy Caught a Merman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Gravitation got a dub by Right Stuf in 2004.

I was just going to mention Gravitation myself.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
If we're considering YOI a yaoi show(I have personally seen many arguments over that), I suppose you could probably throw No. 6 on there too, right? It features a kiss and all that. And it got a dub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Yuri!!! on Ice shocked the hell out of everyone.
No kidding. I was shocked that a sports show with gay baiting and so-so writing became the biggest hit of 2016.

relyat08 wrote:
If we're considering YOI a yaoi show(I have personally seen many arguments over that), I suppose you could probably throw No. 6 on there too, right? It features a kiss and all that. And it got a dub.
I admire No. 6 so much for having the balls of showing, not only one but, two kisses between men. It showed lips touching, unlike the assumed kiss in Yuri on Ice.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuri on Ice is a sports anime that contains a romantic relationship between two men, not a BL/Yaoi anime.

Also like... there are plenty of queer women (especially bi/pan women) in the YOI fandom; it's not just straight women. There are a lot of important reasons why this show has appealed to queer women; some of them overlap with the ones straight women have, but also there is stuff like: recognizing parts of your own queerness within queer characters (of another gender) that can resonate with this audience.

And I mean all that is putting aside folks who are neither men nor women entirely. Though I didn't really expect them to get mentioned here.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
No. 6, From the New World.

Last edited by kpk on Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I admire No. 6 so much for having the balls of showing, not only one but, two kisses between men. It showed lips touching, unlike the assumed kiss in Yuri on Ice.

No. 6 started airing the same month Bill 156 went into effect (July 2011), which means it would have been in production before the bill was set. It's super garbage, but the vague phrasing in that bill has made representations of queer sexuality (eg kissing) in anime/manga that isn't specifically yuri/yaoi(BL) extremely risky, post July '11. Like, you're probably not going to see this stuff outside of Gay Manga any more, post-156. So I feel like it's a little unfair to blame YOI for obscuring the kiss when showing it blatantly would run the creators such a risk.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@treeofjessie

I was not aware of that. Tanks for explaining it.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
As others have said both No.6 and From the New World got dubs.
nobodyhome

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
There's plenty of yaoi or BL dubbed anime if you look back far enough and if you smudge your lines a bit.The Fake oav based on the manga by Sanami Matoh got dubbed. The first Kizuna oav based on Kazuma Kodaka's work by the same name got dubbed (wanna hear Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh get all hot for a guy?). Aside from what's been mentioned there's been a handful of anime with strong BL undertones such as Kimera (main man falls in love with an androgynous, but looks more man vampire-like being who is voiced by a male seiyuu) again by Kazuma Kodaka, just about anything Clamp has shonen-ai themes, Earthian is listed as yaoi/shonen-ai in the encyclopedia here (haven't personally seen it yet), and depending on how vague you're BL radar goes there's more.

Truthfully, while a vast majority categorize Yuri on Ice as BL, shonen-ai, or even yaoi I don't. To me it's a special category, but more sports than anything else with a romantic ambitiousness that makes it appeal to a wide range of viewers. They're in love, but not in "love-love" where they're wanting to get in each other's pants or constantly thinking about their love-love relationship with each other. More like extreme affection and admiration that looks and feels like love than actual "I'm hot for you.♥" love. I'm not sure I'm even getting my point across properly. What makes it so special is that they don't overtly go about "love", but rather they just happen to feel that way towards each other and it's just another close relationship between two individuals that happen to both be men. No. 6 also falls in that category in my mind.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

No. 6 started airing the same month Bill 156 went into effect (July 2011), which means it would have been in production before the bill was set. It's super garbage, but the vague phrasing in that bill has made representations of queer sexuality (eg kissing) in anime/manga that isn't specifically yuri/yaoi(BL) extremely risky, post July '11. Like, you're probably not going to see this stuff outside of Gay Manga any more, post-156. So I feel like it's a little unfair to blame YOI for obscuring the kiss when showing it blatantly would run the creators such a risk.

Really? Wow. That seems like a massive step backward. I wasn't aware of that at all. I actually mentioned regulations as a possible reason for not showing the kiss in a thread elsewhere, but people assured me that wasn't the case given shows like No. 6 showing it openly. (as well as the recent Doukyousei, though I suppose that being a film made this regulation not applicable?). Anyway, good to have new context to work with. I will say though that Kubo didn't mention anything like that at all either. It seemed like the ambiguity was something she intended(not that you can always take creators words at face value).
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a gap of fifteen years in between where nothing got dubbed at all, unless I'm missing something.

Mirage of Blaze haha! If you ever wanted Jamieson Price whispering sweet nothings into your ears, while also potentially being a demon from hell or some other crazy thing, that's your show.
MissT

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

What about Scum's Wish and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches?
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Answerman wrote:
Yuri!!! on Ice shocked the hell out of everyone.
No kidding. I was shocked that a sports show with gay baiting and so-so writing became the biggest hit of 2016

I think the shock part is that it wasn't baiting at all, it was a gay relationship not like the rest of sport anime when they are like "they're close but they won't do in it, or will they?". And most shocking to me is that it felt natural instead of forced like the rest of BL anime that I've watched

Last edited by FackuIkari on Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
BluExocet

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
DRAMAtical Murder got dubbed, including the extra episode which featured the bad endings from the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7