• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The next volume can't get here quick enough. Really enjoyed all the new info and the changes that were made from the WN to make more use of the other world and we're going there in the next book! Hype is at an all time high as we go into completely uncharted waters next volume.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
the webnovel the light novel really goes off the rails compared to the webnovel, while that can eb faulty for a purist (and it annoyed me before as well), once you leanr that there is a second series that is about exploring alternate ways the plot can unfold, that makes the light novel a more interesting read; that and the idea that the changes in the light novel are for the better, as the webnovel has a lot of problems that the light novel narrative fixes.

as long as the rules so to speak, are not getting broken, the light novel should be a better option compared to the webnovel (the manga feels very rushed so I can't vouch for that one one, but some arcs do benefit from getting rushed).
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Sounds good. I skimmed past the spoilers, as I'm just about to start vol7, but it's good to hear there's some forward movement and a new plot arc. Vol6 felt a lot like it was just treading water... no real plot or character development to speak of.

Also glad to hear the other three heroes are getting sidelined. I'm really hoping the telegraphed "work together" narrative doesn't pan out. Those guys are pretty irredeemable not-so-nice-people.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Sounds good. I skimmed past the spoilers, as I'm just about to start vol7, but it's good to hear there's some forward movement and a new plot arc. Vol6 felt a lot like it was just treading water... no real plot or character development to speak of.

Also glad to hear the other three heroes are getting sidelined. I'm really hoping the telegraphed "work together" narrative doesn't pan out. Those guys are pretty irredeemable not-so-nice-people.

well, they are the mahoka guy, kirito and the generic mc of a galge.I don't know what the light novel will do with them, but the webnovel suceeded well at making them likeable, with maybe the exception of bow/mahouka, but kirito and brotoyasu ended up being pretty likable.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

well, they are the mahoka guy, kirito and the generic mc of a galge.I don't know what the light novel will do with them, but the webnovel suceeded well at making them likeable, with maybe the exception of bow/mahouka, but kirito and brotoyasu ended up being pretty likable.

Judging by the pictures I've seen of the LN up to the current one (17) its pretty much the same.

It also looks like they took out the mad scientist arc (thank god) and replaced it with something new.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
well as long as SPOILER dies so THAT person is created I don't mind taking the arc off, but if tey take out the arc including the character it creates, now that's bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1