• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is the Death Note vol. 2 DVD box set dirt cheap all of a sudden?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing these in terrible condition selling for over $100 on eBay a few years back; and they came up for sale very infrequently. Now there are several available in excellent condition for under $15. The UPCs are all the same and the photos all match the original pressing and packaging. How can this be? I've never seen an out-of-print box set that was scarcely available on the resale market actually go DOWN in price while INCREASING in quality and availability (let alone THIS dramatically).
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Do a search on Amazon for Death Note in movies and TV and you will see why. Nobody is going to pay $100 for half a series on dvd when they can buy the full series on blu-ray/dvd for under $40.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Death Note got a Blu-ray release a year ago by Viz. The Omega Edition is going for $55 at RightStuf and for as low as $36 for Prime members on Amazon. This happens all the time when there's a release on BD of something that was only available on DVD before. The OOP DVDs go down as many people scramble to unload their pristine sets. Believe me I know, I've got When they Cry on DVD and I bought it when it was OOP. I had been putting off for years importing the second season from Australia and figured there was no way it would get a re-release in NA because it didn't seem to have enough fans. Then wham-bam! Sentai releases both seasons and on BD no less and the 1st season is about 1/2 the price I paid for my OOP DVDs, which at one point was selling far over $100. All of a sudden my DVDs are kind of worthless.

I can't wait till they re-release something like Paranoia Agent on BD in NA. My old box set which was going for hundreds at one point will plummet in value. Laughing Oh well, c'est la vie and all that jazz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1