• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it hard to make an anime that is ecchi without the romance genre?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebornnora

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
First of all, i know making an anime is really expensive. Even though you have the money, the question is that is it that hard to make a anime that have a ecchi genre with no romance at all? i hate romance with a passion.IN my opinion, it ruins the edgyness and the violence especially ecchi anime. i may seem ignorant but making a story of it doesnt sound hard. it can be a Overpower MC that will save the planet but his reward is to grope a women or a guy that seeks to go to college he always wanted and he attracts tons of girls but he ignore all of them.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
To answer your question, no it is not hard to make ecchi anime without romance. But i think you need to look at this from a different perspective. It's probably a lot EASIER to SELL ecchi anime with romance, due to the target demographic of male otaku.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Closest thing you can get are shows with all female casts. Those usually don't have overt romances, just yuri subtext. Strike Witches and Kancolle are two examples.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
-Yawn- Prison School. -wakes up- HUH!? What? Is there a question being asked right now!? -Yawn...- Keijo...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Lol I was going to say "Prison School" is a good example of this....

louis beat me to it. Though....there is light romance with MC's crush on a girl and then "Brown Thunder" gets a crush on another girl in the OVA... Laughing

But making an ecchi is all about fanservice...so I don't think romance has to be included to make an ecchi. All you do is throw in panty shot and nude scene after panty shot and nude scene, and you've got yourself a naughty anime. lol
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Queens' Blade, Ikki Tousen, Senran Kagura, Eiken, Agent Aika, Keijo, Bikini Warriors, &Wanna Be Strongest in the World all say hi. So far Seven Mortal Sins is also not really romance, though the yuri is strong with it. Suffice to say it is not hard at all and there are many ecchi series out there with little to no romance in them. Simple google search would have made that apparent. As mentioned though majority of ecchi shows do have romance to some degree because that's part of what sells the show. Not just the ecchi itself but the idea of the MC, predominantly male, finally getting with one of the lovely ladies at the end of the show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Queens' Blade, Ikki Tousen, Senran Kagura, Eiken, Agent Aika, Keijo, Bikini Warriors, &Wanna Be Strongest in the World all say hi. So far Seven Mortal Sins is also not really romance, though the yuri is strong with it. Suffice to say it is not hard at all and there are many ecchi series out there with little to no romance in them. Simple google search would have made that apparent. As mentioned though majority of ecchi shows do have romance to some degree because that's part of what sells the show. Not just the ecchi itself but the idea of the MC, predominantly male, finally getting with one of the lovely ladies at the end of the show.

Those are all "good" examples of ecchi without romance. Hell, I think a better question is "can you make an ecchi show without an all-female cast?" which is answered well by my picks.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The thing is you throw a guy and a girl into enough sexually charged situations something is going to happen. It's the Suspension Bridge Effect. Guy accidentally grabs girl's boobs, his heart starts racing, face turns red, every time afterwards he sees her he subconsciously thinks back to that moment and his blood gets boiling again. "Why am I reacting like this? Could it be... Love?"
rebornnora

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The thing is you throw a guy and a girl into enough sexually charged situations something is going to happen. It's the Suspension Bridge Effect. Guy accidentally grabs girl's boobs, his heart starts racing, face turns red, every time afterwards he sees her he subconsciously thinks back to that moment and his blood gets boiling again. "Why am I reacting like this? Could it be... Love?"

Like i said before, i really want no romance in it. The guy could of just ignore it and go back to his life. the closest thing i want is a guy apologizing to her and go back to his life.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
rebornnora wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Like i said before, i really want no romance in it. The guy could of just ignore it and go back to his life. the closest thing i want is a guy apologizing to her and go back to his life.

Rebornnora! This is so exciting! To think, in this forum, we get to introduce you to Keijo, Prison School, Shimoneta, Queen's Blade, Master of Martial Hearts, and so many more ecchi shows that aren't romance shows. It's a brand new day for you, good sir!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1