• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diversity in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
People need to stop being afraid of making some characters fat, noticeably skinny, give them messier hair, freckles, a pimple, etc. I feel like anime is too focused on selling merchandise, so they limit themselves to only one or two unattractive characters in a lead role

A less pestimistic assessment would be to point out those traits are generally rare in Japanese people, which is probably why they are also rare in anime. Japan's obesity rate is about a tenth of ours, so fat characters being rare is just a reflection of their culture. Personally, I'd rather not watch a show with ugly characters.

Well, not ugly. But if I were to show you a picture of Duck, Rue, and Pique or Lillie from Princess Tutu, which among them would you say is supposed to be the most attractive and which is the least attractive? What about between Naru, Usagi, and Haruka from Sailor Moon? They've all got a severe case of Same Face Syndrome, whereas something like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure makes things more unique.

Between Josuke, Koichi, Rohan, and Okuyasu, I can clearly tell that Okuyasu is the more thuggish, Koichi is somewhat cute and less mature, Rohan is the most mature and perhaps the most handsome by most standards, and Josuke is Yusuke Urameshi levels of handsome delinquent. They're all unique enough that one can gauge their attractiveness without really feeling grossed out. You can say "Okuyasu is the ugly one" without feeling like he's actually that ugly.

There's Ugly Okuyasu, or at least somewhat average or not as attractive as his peers.

There's Koichi, the least mature, most naive one.

I should point out, even with Sailor Moon, Chibiusa looks like everyone else, just shorter. The facial features are the exact same. If you put her face on an adult body, it wouldn't be at all jarring. Do the same with Koichi and it might freak someone out. Yet I don't know anyone who was ever grossed out by Okuyasu's "ugliness." I found it kind of charming in its own way.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Well, not ugly. But if I were to show you a picture of Duck, Rue, and Pique or Lillie from Princess Tutu, which among them would you say is supposed to be the most attractive and which is the least attractive? What about between Naru, Usagi, and Haruka from Sailor Moon? They've all got a severe case of Same Face Syndrome, whereas something like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure makes things more unique.

Between Josuke, Koichi, Rohan, and Okuyasu, I can clearly tell that Okuyasu is the more thuggish, Koichi is somewhat cute and less mature, Rohan is the most mature and perhaps the most handsome by most standards, and Josuke is Yusuke Urameshi levels of handsome delinquent. They're all unique enough that one can gauge their attractiveness without really feeling grossed out. You can say "Okuyasu is the ugly one" without feeling like he's actually that ugly.

Maybe it's just me, but I find those to be fairly easy questions to answer. Tutu's art in general isn't my cup of tea, but I'd say Rue is the best looking while Lilie is the least attractive if I had to choose. Rue is the only one that comes close to legitimate 'beautiful'

Sailor Moon is a lot easier: out of those three Naru is the one I find the cutest, while Haruka is the least attractive due to her 'butch' look, which I'm not into. I find Usagi to be pretty bland, which is why the comparisons to Minako make me laugh because Minako is my favorite and one I find most attractive. Sameface is a problem with some series, but I find there's still enough difference in hair, clothes, and other subtle ways that distinguish characters from another without the need to make such drastic design choices

As much as I like JoJo, the art is kind of rough, especially in regard for female characters.
I attribute it to the fact its an 80s manga, so it mirrors the styles of the time, though.

-Stuart Smith
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't the "non-diversity" in a lot anime, I.E. having primarily Japanese characters in their shows help to mitigate the non-representation of the Japanese in tv shows and movies from other countries? I'm pulling this claim out of my arse, but I'm sure there are more anime series and movies with non-Japanese characters (Word Masterpiece Theater, Manga Sekai Mukashi Banashi, Candy Candy, Maria the Virgin Witch, Emma, Hello Sandybell, Wizard of Oz, Emily of New Moon, Nobody's boy Remi, Treasure Island, Little Women, Diary of Anne Frank, etc.) than European or American animated series or movies with Japanese main characters.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
@Ryo Hazuki, indeed. I am always impressed by the fact the Japanese often depict foreigners and from an introspective point of view. Westerners almost never depict foreigners from their own point of view. What I mean is that Western depictions of the foreigners (in the sense of non-Western) are often like Tintin Goes to Congo or Indiana Jones: western main characters interacting with extremely exotic caricatures, often primitive silly "locals".

Japanese depictions of foreigners tend to actually make the foreigners a bit more Japanese, like in Gunslinger Girl the manga is all about Italians but they behave in a similar way to Japanese customs and in Vinland Saga it's about Vikings but the main character undergoes a Samurai like journey with the objective of attaining redemption. While in Bride's Story they depict 19th century Turkey as a rather "moderate culture". In a way, the Japanese tend to idealize foreign cultures and put them on a pedestal while Westerners tend to look down on anything that's not western.

yuna49 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dutch in Black Lagoon is African-American, not "African." He's one of the most realistically portrayed African-Americans in all of anime. Most of the time anime tends to stereotype non-Japanese characters, often quite badly.

For instance, here are the two Negro characters in Baccano!:

Either these designs were intended to portray contemporary images of black Americans in the 1930's, or they are just horribly racist.

Horribly racist? You have to see some European comics from the 1930's depictions of blacks:

http://www.alistgator.com/top-10-racist-moments-in-tintin-comics/

Like this:

Japanese depictions of foreigners never approached this level of stereotyping...

Quote:
Uchuu Kyoudai has a rather diverse cast, but most of the characters other than the Japanese, and to a lesser extent the Americans, are also caricatures. The Indian lady has fortune-telling powers, the Jamaican has a Rastafarian style, etc. The portrayals of Texas are also pretty hilarious.

It's expected that when one culture portrays another their depictions will be stereotyped and unrealistic. In Brazil we like to point out how horribly stereotypical (and often plain incorrect) are the Hollywood depictions of South America. Just look at the example above of an European from the 1930's trying to depict Africans (and that they colonized!).

I like laughing off when manga tries to depict Brazilians, it's so silly but in a positive way. They don't look down on foreigners often (although in JoJo they made fun of India's poverty).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
@Ryo Hazuki, indeed. I am always impressed by the fact the Japanese often depict foreigners and from an introspective point of view. Westerners almost never depict foreigners from their own point of view. What I mean is that Western depictions of the foreigners (in the sense of non-Western) are often like Tintin Goes to Congo or Indiana Jones: western main characters interacting with extremely exotic caricatures, often primitive silly "locals".

Japanese depictions of foreigners tend to actually make the foreigners a bit more Japanese, like in Gunslinger Girl the manga is all about Italians but they behave in a similar way to Japanese customs and in Vinland Saga it's about Vikings but the main character undergoes a Samurai like journey with the objective of attaining redemption. While in Bride's Story they depict 19th century Turkey as a rather "moderate culture". In a way, the Japanese tend to idealize foreign cultures and put them on a pedestal while Westerners tend to look down on anything that's not western.

yuna49 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dutch in Black Lagoon is African-American, not "African." He's one of the most realistically portrayed African-Americans in all of anime. Most of the time anime tends to stereotype non-Japanese characters, often quite badly.

For instance, here are the two Negro characters in Baccano!:

Either these designs were intended to portray contemporary images of black Americans in the 1930's, or they are just horribly racist.

Horribly racist? You have to see some European comics from the 1930's depictions of blacks:

http://www.alistgator.com/top-10-racist-moments-in-tintin-comics/

Like this:

Japanese depictions of foreigners never approached this level of stereotyping...

Quote:
Uchuu Kyoudai has a rather diverse cast, but most of the characters other than the Japanese, and to a lesser extent the Americans, are also caricatures. The Indian lady has fortune-telling powers, the Jamaican has a Rastafarian style, etc. The portrayals of Texas are also pretty hilarious.

It's expected that when one culture portrays another their depictions will be stereotyped and unrealistic. In Brazil we like to point out how horribly stereotypical (and often plain incorrect) are the Hollywood depictions of South America. Just look at the example above of an European from the 1930's trying to depict Africans (and that's a country they actually colonized!).

I like laughing off when manga tries to depict Brazilians, it's so silly but in a positive way. They don't look down on foreigners often (although in JoJo they made fun of India's poverty).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The Europeanization of anime characters is a well known issue that has been debated for years in many forums. You can pretend like it is not an issue, but it is and will continue to be for a long time because anime is so used to copying what came before in order to keep milking the cow. Indeed, whenever an anime tries to make their characters appear "more Japanese" that tends to create a big hubbub among fans and critics. This issue is much more complex than you try to make it.

Alan45 IS correct about the Japanese designing their characters with their own race in mind though.

Anime characters are not intended to look Caucasian unless that is the character's race.
They have large eyes because of Disney's old style's influence and they come in many colors because "animation".

All you really have to do is look at body types for the evidence. Because the average anime character sure as hell aint modeled after the average American person... Laughing

As for a list of anime with a diverse cast, I can list a few:

Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic's universe
Gundam Wing
Michiko to Hatchin
Baccano
Revolutionary Girl Utena (two major characters are Indian; that's unique lol)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Add to that list, Chiibi the Macross franchise, particularly the original series. Sure, in SDFM, the three main characters are Japanese nationals, but most of the supporting cast are a large international mix, one of them actually being a positive depiction of an African-American.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I need 'diversity' in media like I need a hole in my skull, and that goes double for anime. The problem with being mindful of diversity is that you get to a point where suddenly characters are being made ethnically or sexually diverse for the sake of being diverse itself, not because that trait add's anything to the character and frankly it's petulant and whiny to always expected to be represented in media.

I always apply the 'straight white male' test to media. If the character could have been a straight white male, and the story would not have suffered in any way for it being any different, then there was no value in the diversity'. The way we are going with diversity politics, it's cancer. I have little interest in watching a harem anime where the lead can choose from a number of color-coded trans-racial polysexual dolphinkin.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
The problem with being mindful of diversity is that you get to a point where suddenly characters are being made ethnically or sexually diverse for the sake of being diverse itself

Why is this a problem for you?
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Lack of diversity is what makes anime feel more authentic and natural. But since diversity generally means anti-white when used in the west, wouldn't anime be plenty diverse already?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure in what way a lack of diversity in anime equates to a feeling of naturalness or authenticity. Or in what sense you mean diversity is "anti-white". Or why you would think anime is already...sufficiently, anti-white?

Confused
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
1. Anime has enough diversity, now US animation THAT needs diversity.
2. I already have, so sure.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I'm not sure in what way a lack of diversity in anime equates to a feeling of naturalness or authenticity. Or in what sense you mean diversity is "anti-white". Or why you would think anime is already...sufficiently, anti-white?

Diversity breaks my immersion. It's always a checklist quota in western production, historical accuracy and logic being irrelevant to the descision. Artificial and fake, like an assembly line churning out standardized products with no creativity. Most anime stars Japanese character, and it's logical for it to remain that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Diversity might disrespect historical accuracy when the production in question is a historical non-fiction set in Japan...for every other instance of diversity in anime (IE. in shows like Michiko and Hatchin) I'm not sure why it would break your immersion, or in what sense it lacks creativity.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It is amazing how often people complain about quotas and claim that diversity somehow forces characters into things, but they never provide any examples of that happening. It's a political argument with no actual problem to address. If you don't like seeing dark skinned or indigenous people in your media, that's your right. No one is forcing you and there's plenty of stuff that excludes them. Have at it. Don't come around and act all outraged when someone says they like it when content is more inclusive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9