• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Birthdays the Beginning

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This sequel refocuses the roster on some of the more obscure characters in the canon—from Atrocitus to Captain Cold—but screw all that noise because Gorilla Grodd is in this game and that's just the best.

100% truth. Now if only Killer Croc could be a playable character, I'd be all set. Speaking of roster, a few folks I know are annoyed they're putting Mortal Kombat characters in, wasting the spots that could go to potential DC favorites and newcomers. At least Starfire and Red Hood were recently confirmed, but Sub-Zero and Raiden are both slot wasters.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Your in for quite a treat with Vanquish! Glad people who missed out on it the first time have a chance to play of the best shooters of last gen.

The Surge is looking like a great sci-fi take on Dark Souls. Looks like it doing enough to be it's own thing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a new game on a console

More like a old game on new console.

Quote:
It might not be the runaway mainstream that the Wii was, but it seems people are actually interested in buying games for the platform,

We're extrapolating this based off a three year old game that is already available for the WiiU? I'm sorry but the Switch is going to need more than ports of current and past gen games to look like a strong system....and people port begging for Smash 4 on the Switch are not helping with this.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Dustin wrote:
I mentioned last week that I'd begun setting up a Windows 98 PC for old games, and the project's pretty much done at this point. I'm still shifting parts around and messing with various drivers, but that screamin' Pentium III 500MHz is doing its job and I've got a fresh classic gaming station.

Was using VirtualBox on your main PC not considered, if I may ask? Modern computers are surprisingly open to virtualisation. I was able to natively run some old DOS games without having to rely on an emulator, to give but one example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
We're extrapolating this based off a three year old game that is already available for the WiiU? I'm sorry but the Switch is going to need more than ports of current and past gen games to look like a strong system....and people port begging for Smash 4 on the Switch are not helping with this.

At least port begging for Nintendo games makes sense. I'm getting kinda fed up with the people on Neogaf begging for a port of Persona 5 onto Switch even though a good deal of them admitting to owning a PS4. Why this much demand? Handhelds make sense for games that are fit for short bursts like platformers, fighting games, or yes, Mario Kart, but a heavily-involved RPG that most say takes 80-110 hours to complete, not so much. I mean, I would think most people would want a more normal sized screen to look at if they're planning on gaming for a few hours at once. Then again, as that pre-movie commercial in theaters makes fun of, some people seem to enjoy seeing a movie in theaters but end up staring at the tiny screens of their phones instead.

Also, I can't even with all the "portable Mario Kart changes everything, thank you Nintendo!" comments. There have been three portable Mario Karts games before this! Yes, this one has far better graphics even compared to the 3DS one but the vast majority of Nintendo fans usually point out that superior graphics aren't that important (and I agree, but they need to be consistent with their opinion!)
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Dustin wrote:
I mentioned last week that I'd begun setting up a Windows 98 PC for old games, and the project's pretty much done at this point. I'm still shifting parts around and messing with various drivers, but that screamin' Pentium III 500MHz is doing its job and I've got a fresh classic gaming station.

Was using VirtualBox on your main PC not considered, if I may ask? Modern computers are surprisingly open to virtualisation. I was able to natively run some old DOS games without having to rely on an emulator, to give but one example.

That's certainly an option--probably the smarter one at that--but this was really more of a hobby project.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
At least port begging for Nintendo games makes sense. I'm getting kinda fed up with the people on Neogaf begging for a port of Persona 5 onto Switch even though a good deal of them admitting to owning a PS4. Why this much demand? Handhelds make sense for games that are fit for short bursts like platformers, fighting games, or yes, Mario Kart, but a heavily-involved RPG that most say takes 80-110 hours to complete, not so much. I mean, I would think most people would want a more normal sized screen to look at if they're planning on gaming for a few hours at once. Then again, as that pre-movie commercial in theaters makes fun of, some people seem to enjoy seeing a movie in theaters but end up staring at the tiny screens of their phones instead.

The most popular RPG franchise of all time is a handheld exclusive... Persona only gained strong momentum in the west with Persona 4 Golden, a handheld release. Every prior Persona game has also received a portable version. Atlus Japan doesn't make Vita games and Sony isn't going to make another handheld. It's not really a stretch to ask for Switch.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The most popular RPG franchise of all time is a handheld exclusive... Persona only gained strong momentum in the west with Persona 4 Golden, a handheld release. Every prior Persona game has also received a portable version. Atlus Japan doesn't make Vita games and Sony isn't going to make another handheld. It's not really a stretch to ask for Switch.

Except not a single main Persona game (Q doesn't count) has ever been on a Nintendo console. Also, there's no way Persona's popularity didn't soar until Golden, the Vita barely made an impact on the US whereas the PS2 is the highest selling console of all time so it's safe to say the vast majority of the US fanbase played it there. I mean, I love my Vita, but I'm totally accepting of the reality of how badly it did in the US.

Also, your first comment is super vague. I'm not sure what one would say is the most popular RPG in the US (and if you're implying Pokemon well that's kind of a different beast and it's only a handheld exclusive series because Game Freak is close-minded as they're said they want players to not give up on trading with real-life friends, which is annoying as I've played all the games and traded like maybe twice total) but in Japan it's Dragon Quest which is not a handheld exclusive series.

Finally, just as it's annoying when people want Nintendo's consoles to die just so hypothetically they'll make games for Playstation and/or Xbox, it's just as annoying for Nintendo fans to port beg for game series that have never been on Nintendo systems. Like you know, maybe let the other two console buyers have some exclusives of their own just like Nintendo and if you want a particular game that bad then buy the console it's already out on?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Except not a single main Persona game (Q doesn't count) has ever been on a Nintendo console. Also, there's no way Persona's popularity didn't soar until Golden, the Vita barely made an impact on the US whereas the PS2 is the highest selling console of all time so it's safe to say the vast majority of the US fanbase played it there. I mean, I love my Vita, but I'm totally accepting of the reality of how badly it did in the US.

From the official numbers we do have, it seems very likely Golden did outsell the original PS2 version.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, your first comment is super vague. I'm not sure what one would say is the most popular RPG in the US (and if you're implying Pokemon well that's kind of a different beast and it's only a handheld exclusive series because Game Freak is close-minded as they're said they want players to not give up on trading with real-life friends, which is annoying as I've played all the games and traded like maybe twice total) but in Japan it's Dragon Quest which is not a handheld exclusive series.

I was referring to Pokemon, but okay, since that "doesn't count" for some inexplicable reason, doesn't it hurt your narrative that Dragon Quest IX is the best selling entry in that franchise? By all early indications we have, Dragon Quest XI's 3DS will outsell the PS4 version in Japan, as well. People have no issues playing long RPGs on handhelds. In fact, the ability to put them down and resume whenever/wherever you want is pretty attractive.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Finally, just as it's annoying when people want Nintendo's consoles to die just so hypothetically they'll make games for Playstation and/or Xbox, it's just as annoying for Nintendo fans to port beg for game series that have never been on Nintendo systems. Like you know, maybe let the other two console buyers have some exclusives of their own just like Nintendo and if you want a particular game that bad then buy the console it's already out on?

I didn't say it wasn't annoying. I just explained the methodology behind it. Atlus has had a long history of successfully porting their console games to handhelds, including the Persona series. Despite seeing immense success on it, their support for Vita has been tepid and is likely over. Sony would much rather insult the world with PSVR than make another handheld, which doesn't leave Atlus with much of a choice for a Persona 5 re-release. I guess they could do an iOS/Android version with microtransactions? Laughing Atlus isn't adverse to Nintendo hardware. They had their internal staff waste years on a Wii U exclusive RPG that sold worse than Persona 4: Dancing All Night. The vast majority of their development history over the last 5 years has been 3DS exclusive.

The era of exclusive third party games is over. Japan just held on a little longer because their development communities largely embraced lower cost hardware that didn't require multi-platform development to achieve success. But that time has come to an end. Every Vita game has to have a PS4 version. Pretty much every Japanese game that isn't on 3DS gets a PC port now.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
-Those are international numbers for the Golden article. Also, Persona was definitely well-talked about before Golden came out, it's just that there wasn't much on the Vita at the time of Golden's release so naturally it will sell well for a Vita game. Not to mention Persona 4 was also available on the PS3 digital store.

-I mean, it's obvious that Pokemon differs quite a bit from your typical JRPG what with such a focus on merchandise and mass exposure that of course it'll be the #1 RPG in the US. And IX was the best-selling but not by a massive margin or anything and it doesn't change the fact that the series has many games on both consoles and handhelds. I just don't understand what sort of situations require long hours of playing handhelds on the go. Sure, for a person driving long hours to a vacation spot (assuming they're not the driver) or for some who has to fly a lot for business reasons but beyond that long RPGs with heavily-involved enough mechanics (particularly if you can't save everywhere which is how Persona games are unlike Pokemon where you can save anytime outside of a battle) don't seem like the most ideal game for games outside.

-it's not like they predicted TMS would bomb in sales especially since production seemed to begin on it early in the Wii U's lifeline where it seemed possible the console might make a comeback.

"The era of exclusive third party games is over."

That's quite the statement to make especially since Nioh came out, and if we're talking multi-console exclusives (so not counting PC ports as they're usually inevitable) then Nier Automata just came out as well. Even if third-party exclusives are becoming less common there's no evidence they're going to disappear completely and as I said there is still no precedent of a main Persona game coming to Nintendo. They've got Shin Megami Tensei games and several spin-offs with Devil Survivor, Strange Journey and TMS, you know just MAYBE they could be content with that? I don't see Sony fans demanding for all those games.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
-Those are international numbers for the Golden article. Also, Persona was definitely well-talked about before Golden came out, it's just that there wasn't much on the Vita at the time of Golden's release so naturally it will sell well for a Vita game. Not to mention Persona 4 was also available on the PS3 digital store.

If you read both articles I linked to, you'll find both numbers are about as worldwide as you'll get. The only issue is that the PS2 number doesn't list European sales, but at that point in time, those would've been lower than the reported North American one. That Golden total is also 3 years out of date, which means with its constant PSN sales, it's probably significantly higher now.

First, you said my point was wrong, that Persona was already well known before Golden. Now, you're bringing up an emulated PS3 version that came out after Golden's release that only Sony and Atlus know the sales of. Rolling Eyes It's not a stretch to say Golden was when the franchise really came into its own. Atlus and Aniplex made two TV anime series and a movie out of it. And yes, it being one of Vita's landmark titles only helped things.

doctordoom85 wrote:
And IX was the best-selling but not by a massive margin or anything and it doesn't change the fact that the series has many games on both consoles and handhelds.

Over the last few years, the series has become more prominent on portable platforms. 3DS and mobile have a whole raft of exclusive spinoffs and remakes. The home consoles are mostly getting multiplatform games with handhelds. Be it Dragon Quest Builders (which is on Vita), Heroes (which are on Switch/Vita), and even Dragon Quest XI, whose HD version is certainly going to be the basis for the already announced Nintendo Switch release.

doctordoom85 wrote:
I just don't understand what sort of situations require long hours of playing handhelds on the go. Sure, for a person driving long hours to a vacation spot (assuming they're not the driver) or for some who has to fly a lot for business reasons but beyond that long RPGs with heavily-involved enough mechanics (particularly if you can't save everywhere which is how Persona games are unlike Pokemon where you can save anytime outside of a battle) don't seem like the most ideal game for games outside.

People that have a commute every day and people that like to lounge around the house and play a game anywhere. The former is exceedingly popular in Japan, which is why portable platforms are vastly more relevant there than home consoles.

Modern handhelds allow you to easily use sleep mode to resume playing. Vita (and possibly Switch - I don't own one) will even start you back up immediately where you left off if your battery dies.

doctordoom85 wrote:
That's quite the statement to make especially since Nioh came out, and if we're talking multi-console exclusives (so not counting PC ports as they're usually inevitable) then Nier Automata just came out as well. Even if third-party exclusives are becoming less common there's no evidence they're going to disappear completely and as I said there is still no precedent of a main Persona game coming to Nintendo. They've got Shin Megami Tensei games and several spin-offs with Devil Survivor, Strange Journey and TMS, you know just MAYBE they could be content with that? I don't see Sony fans demanding for all those games.

Nioh is an exception. Sony's been involved with that project, going to the point of being the game's western distributor. It probably couldn't run on either of Sony's other platforms.

Pretending a game isn't multiplatform because you don't view the versions on PC/last gen/handhelds as competition or whatever is usually the domain of fanboys that feel the need to validate their purchases and marketing executives desperate to fluff up software lineups. Even Sony believes PC is competition for them, which is why they released (the ill-advised, IMO) PS4 Pro.

The proof that third party exclusives are dying is ... the entire games industry. Even Persona 5 isn't an exclusive. It's on PS3 and PS4! Your comment about Persona games not being on Nintendo hardware isn't very logical. There wasn't a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game on PlayStation hardware until Nocturne. Then there was a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game on PlayStation hardware. Who's to say Persona 5 won't be the same thing for Nintendo platforms? The conditions are actually favorable to it happening.

FWIW, I see lots of people whining whenever Atlus announces yet another 3DS game (I'm one of them!) because the world really doesn't need another Etrian Odyssey game in 240p in 2017. I've seen lots of PS4 portbegging for the Nintendo Switch SMT game Atlus announced, which will probably happen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

At least port begging for Nintendo games makes sense

Not when the game in question already has two existing versions on two different Nintendo systems. And making a sequel of that game would make much more sense.

doctordoom85 wrote:
but a heavily-involved RPG that most say takes 80-110 hours to complete, not so much. I mean,

They likely want a handheld version of 5 because they got used to the Vita and PSP version of 4 and 3. I know I was put off initially when playing 5 on the PS4 in large part because I had gotten too acclimated to playing on those two games on the Vita as well.

Primus wrote:
The era of exclusive third party games is over.

...No it's not.

Primus wrote:
Every Vita game has to have a PS4 version.

If only because the Vita is a dying system so no one wants to put all their eggs into one basket (also not "every" vita game gets a PS4 port).

Primus wrote:
Pretty much every Japanese game that isn't on 3DS gets a PC port now.

Yeah years after fact like with DanganRonpa, Bayonetta, and now Vanquish. Or with notoriously niche titles like the Senran Kagura Versus games.

Primus wrote:

The proof that third party exclusives are dying is ... the entire games industry. Even Persona 5 isn't an exclusive. It's on PS3 and PS4!

...Which are sony branded systems therefore still exclusive only to Sony. This isn't the same as games that drop on the 360/One while also showing up on the PC.

Primus wrote:
There wasn't a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game on PlayStation hardware until Nocturne.

You mean aside from the ports of the first two games which were on the PSOne?

Primus wrote:
Then there was a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game on PlayStation hardware. Who's to say Persona 5 won't be the same thing for Nintendo platforms? The conditions are actually favorable to it happening.

Based off what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1