• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Red Turtle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Is this movie not in the encyclopedia? Can't find it anywhere, even under its French and Japanese names. It also doesn't seem to appear in the credits for Wild Bunch, Toshio Suzuki or Isao Takahata, even though they apparently worked on it.
erith81

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused by the fact that the review states this movie is only available through iTunes...I preordered the bluray on Amazon (and received it), and have seen it in Best Buy. Considering the date on the article says it was posted today (May 8th), why was the reviewer not aware of its physical release last week? Here's the Amazon link for any interested (currently $15.99 as of posting): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XQP21DX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494294145&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=red+turtle&dpPl=1&dpID=51dBN1NYdoL&ref=plSrch
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a believer in "cometetive reviews," especially when the issue in question will matter less and less to people as the years go by. I think a separate article would be a great place for the discussion of why The Red Turtle got the Oscar nom instead of Your Name, but I don't think the review of the movie itself should close with this much focus on an external competition between two movies that are otherwise unrelated.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
erith81 wrote:
I'm confused by the fact that the review states this movie is only available through iTunes...I preordered the bluray on Amazon (and received it), and have seen it in Best Buy. Considering the date on the article says it was posted today (May 8th), why was the reviewer not aware of its physical release last week? Here's the Amazon link for any interested (currently $15.99 as of posting): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XQP21DX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494294145&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=red+turtle&dpPl=1&dpID=51dBN1NYdoL&ref=plSrch

Apparently not. I will amend the review accordingly.

And icomeanon4: I don't see what's wrong with bringing that point up in a review, as it's a question that was definitely on people's minds when the nominations were released. Could you make a whole article about it? Maybe, but that would involve more speculation than I care to get into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erith81

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And icomeanon4: I don't see what's wrong with bringing that point up in a review, as it's a question that was definitely on people's minds when the nominations were released. Could you make a whole article about it? Maybe, but that would involve more speculation than I care to get into.

I agree. It was a question the anime community seemed to bring up frequently, and an article on the decision would be nothing big more than speculation. As for comparing movies with nothing else I common, that's exactly what the Oscars DO. Key was not the first , and considering both are available to a wider audience now, will most likely not be the last to make such a statement. It was only a small mention in the review, not the whole thing. If you don't like that part, ignore it and enjoy the rest, it was a well written review for a critically acclaimed movie, covering all the info you need to make an informed decision.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Received The Red Turtle the other day and promptly watched it. Possibly it deserves all the accolades others in the cinema community are awarding it but I found it a boring watch, actually fell asleep twice, had to rewind, rewatch. My wife, who is not into animation as much as I would like her to be, liked it, had no sleep issues.

The Red Turtle reminded me of aforementioned Robinson Crusoe fare produced using different venues prevalent in their respective eras. It did reveal the power well-crafted animation can project in story-telling and had I been much less exposed to situational equatorial settings about man versus nature no doubt I would have appreciated this work more. I haven't seen Your Name yet. I'm at a stage in life where I'm too cheap and tired to submit my 69-yr old psyche to withstand the wiles of metropolitan vehicular gridlock amidst the throes of miscellaneous ancillary monetary expenditure just to see a limited engagement viewing at a theatre specially chosen for greatest access by a given greater audience presence. However, upon hearing and reading impassioned snippets by others I can't help but suspect I'll be more inclined to be entertained and wakeful should I get a 2nd opportunity to watch it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And icomeanon4: I don't see what's wrong with bringing that point up in a review, as it's a question that was definitely on people's minds when the nominations were released.

Yes, but will the Oscar nomination drama still be on people's minds five years from now? And was it important enough to dedicate one whole paragraph (out of a mere six) just to comparing Red Turtle to your name? While I don't begrudge you for mentioning it, I do feel you gave too much coverage to the Oscar decision, especially considering the music only got a single line (which felt tacked on in the review).

And before you say that you only aim your reviews at contemporary audiences, please note that reviews, which never leave the site, can be very useful to people even many years later. For example, I am currently watching (and enjoying) The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, and I am only doing so because I stumbled across your positive reviews of the series. (By the way, props for covering every volume; the thoroughness is much appreciated.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
Ok, I still have yet to see Your Name, because, again, I'm waiting for a home vid release. The same reason Your Name didn't get nominated is the same reason Satoshi Kon didn't get nominated: the Oscar voters in the animation guild-and to a lesser extent, the Annie voters-hate anime. I don't mean they prefer American and/or Western animation. I mean, they're as biased against it as the homophobes who shut out Brokeback Mountain from winning Best Picture. They're so biased against anime, that they would rather pick a movie like Red Turtle, which barely counts, for that exact reason. Or, they'd pick an 'homage' to anime like Big Hero 6, because it's still not the real thing.

So why does Ghibli get in? Due to the same argument expressed by Miyazaki: It's not considered 'anime' the way most people would define it, even if meets the same criteria. So how did Short Peace's Possessions squeak through? It was in shorts and was able to masquerade itself in the same style as the quirky cartoons they normally pick. So they couldn't tell it was anime.

Going back to Your Name, it sounds like a lot of body-switching comedies you'd see in the 80's, but only one of which got Oscar recognition: Tom Hanks' Big. Now, since I haven't seen the former, if you think that Your Name really is as good as Big, and deserves the same adulation, then I'll take your word for it for now. But that still means that they would rather honor a live-action comedy-a category they also tend to typically shun, along with horror-over its anime equivalent.

But either way, I'm just glad there's finally a change of voting rules this year. It's a shame a lot of great titles had to be snubbed for it to happen, though. Oh, and Metropolis and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust need to be in that link, too.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They're so biased against anime, that they would rather pick a movie like Red Turtle, which barely counts, for that exact reason. Or, they'd pick an 'homage' to anime like Big Hero 6, because it's still not the real thing.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it?

It rather reminds me of the incident where the Grammys first decided to have a Heavy Metal category during the awards in 1989 and Jethro Tull beat out Metallica. Crazy times.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Going back to Your Name, it sounds like a lot of body-switching comedies you'd see in the 80's, but only one of which got Oscar recognition: Tom Hanks' Big. Now, since I haven't seen the former, if you think that Your Name really is as good as Big, and deserves the same adulation, then I'll take your word for it for now. But that still means that they would rather honor a live-action comedy-a category they also tend to typically shun, along with horror-over its anime equivalent.

It doesn't much resemble the body-swapping comedies you're talking about. In fact, despite some humor in its early stages when the protagonists are still figuring things out, I wouldn't consider it a comedy at all. The drama (and, to a much lesser extent, romantic) elements dominate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Key: Ok, that's fine. But it is as Oscar-worthy as Big was in your eyes? That's what's important.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So, I guess this one isn't going into the encyclopedia then?? Confused
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Key: Ok, that's fine. But it is as Oscar-worthy as Big was in your eyes? That's what's important.

Is your name. as Oscar-worthy? I'd say at least as much. (Although honestly, I probably wouldn't consider Big to be Oscar-worthy. Good movie, just not that good.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Key: Well, like I said, it stood out among those other body-switching comedies. If it was its own thing, who knows? So, ok. Your Name got good reviews, buzz in the American indie scene, and its campaign was not backed by some tiny, no-name company. Which means, that, contrary to the claims of this College Humor vid, the Oscar voters will not acknowledge your anime film, no matter how much money you throw at it. That's how biased they are against it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1