• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars' Mamoru Hosoda Reveals His Next Film, Mirai, for May 2018 Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it is not going to be my thing. I love Hosoda's films so it is tough for me to say that.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. Love all his films. Hope to see more of this
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
Sounds just lovely. I'm SO looking forward to this!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He acknowledged that the new film is closer to the human drama of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children than the action stories of Summer Wars and The Boy and The Beast.

With these very words, we are on to another winner! For reasons that all those familiar with Hosoda's works will recognise, I stand quite firmly in the camp that prefers his more intimate pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
TBH, I had a fantasy about visiting my grandpa, too. 'Cus he died long before I was born.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
He acknowledged that the new film is closer to the human drama of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children than the action stories of Summer Wars and The Boy and The Beast.

With these very words, we are on to another winner! For reasons that all those familiar with Hosoda's works will recognise, I stand quite firmly in the camp that prefers his more intimate pieces.

Agreed. Something just felt... off about Boy and the Beast. Weirdly though, I didn't dislike Summer Wars at all. Either way, I can't wait to see this.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
I think there is a really good presentation of human (family) drama in Summer Wars despite its frequent action scenes, that I wouldn't really separate it from both The Girl Who Leapt through Time and Wolf Children (haven't seen The Boy and the Beast).
Now I'm not actually that fond of The Girl Who Leapt through Time, but really love Wolf Children.

Wolf Children has this modest representation of a human (family) drama and a realistic bittersweet end to its progressing slice of life story. While The Girl, to me personally, lacks this modesty. So, despite the seemingly nothing new premise, I hope it's gonna be closer to Wolf Children than The Girl.
Tofu92600

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Summer Wars shouldn't be dismissed for its human drama apect though. IMO it had a very strong and effective take on family relationships. The grandma and her "son" were particularly touching. spoiler[Her passing away and Natsuki's reaction to it] was also moving.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about The Boy and The Beast. It tried but missed the mark.
And saying that, I just noticed that all of Hosoda's character development is almost always driven by death... What a depressing director xD
merr

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
I love Hosoda, but would it kill him to make a movie that isn't about the nature of family bonds?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Hosada is thematically very repetitive. I didn't love Summer Wars or The Girl Who Lept Through Time. The latter in particular falls apart in it's third act feeling like an overwrought young-adult book. His most interesting work is the Onepiece movie that incorporates his experience with Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki. Interestingly, what should be considered one of his broader works feels like one of his most personal. I'm not on board for another bonds of family melodrama.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I love Hosoda, but would it kill him to make a movie that isn't about the nature of family bonds?

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is more of a less-techy Steins;Gate than anything, so there's one movie not about family bonds. And who knows? Maybe that's just the theme he wants to convey. Cliche? Yes. But is it effective in his films? Also yes.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Not a bad concept, a little boy gets to see how his mother and grandfather was back in their youth and learn something valuable (and best part is nothing gets reset so the time travel plot device doesn't bother me). Nowadays I find it rare for anime creators to be inspired by real life more than other anime so I know this will be something intriguing. I wish Hosoda good luck and I hope his film succeeds, not just financially but also as a solid literary work. I love his "One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island" and "Wolf Children" movies, "Summer Wars" was cool, "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" was ok I suppose, and "The Boy and the Beast" is just mehhh (I know he made a Digimon film but I never saw that). Can't wait to see this movie.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Wait, let me quite this directly:

Quote:
A mysterious garden in the backyard of the boy's home becomes a gateway allowing the child to travel back in time and encounter his mother as a little girl and his great-grandfather as a young man.

Ok, even just removing the whole "great" part and moving it to just two generations- mother and grandfather- how much perspective could a four year old get out of it?

"My entire four years- with two years of me knowing there is a me in the first place, maybe- could not prepare me for what happened that day." Really?

10 is the sweet spot- old enough to get something out of it, young enough not to get into trouble.. if you catch my meaning...

Make it a coming of age story rather than a "Mommy's expecting but what am I expecting?" one. Biggest question of all, who would be the audience for this?
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Should be good. This guy always makes great movies
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Girl who Leapt Through Time was about Young love.
Summer War was about the love of a family.
Wolf Children was about the love of a mother.
Boy and the Beast was about the love of fla father.
Mirai looks to be about the love between siblings.

I like the continuing but transforming running theme throughout his films. Wonder where he will take it from here?y
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2