• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's 'Final' Film Begins 3-Year Production in October

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this news could bring with it some snark, but I honestly just hope for his continued good health and ability to make art he loves. I've never not been excited to see one of his works. Not to mention all the people continued production will keep employed at least that much longer.

I don't expect this at all, since it didn't really happen successfully in all those years before The Wind Rises finished, but a dream scenario would be if some training for Goro, or newly hired animators who could become creators could be done in those three years. Maybe help sustain the studio once Miyazaki's time with the studio is truly over. Again, I don't expect it at this point, but I can dream.
Midaro

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Bravo! Always do what makes you happy and happyness will carry you ahead.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
How many times has he had a film that was to be his "final" feature film?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Why do I have this weird feeling they'll put him in a robot like Burns and Smithers in that dystopian Simpsons ending?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
Cool. Miyazaki is 76 now, so a three year production period would take him to age 79 which is very doable, barring an unforeseen accident or illness. Personally, I'll only consider a Miyazaki film to be his "final" one after he is dead. And even then, I'm not entirely convinced he wouldn't figure out a way to make more from beyond the grave...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
I doubt this guy will ever retire and stay retired. He is too much of an icon in the industry.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki is like The Who of animation.
nagpo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
I hope he's actually able to complete the film. Perhaps if he isn't, Takahata or his Son, Goro could finish it for him if he passes away too soon.
Vannil

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Miyazaki is like The Who of animation.

I think Cher or the Rolling Stones are probably better comparisons. I mean they've all had how many "Farewell" tours?

Still, hope this (maybe) final film is a great one!
KH91

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
How many times has he had a film that was to be his "final" feature film?

Taking cues from Final Fantasy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this will be the last final ultimate film Miyazaki ever makes... probably.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cool. Miyazaki is 76 now, so a three year production period would take him to age 79 which is very doable, barring an unforeseen accident or illness. Personally, I'll only consider a Miyazaki film to be his "final" one after he is dead. And even then, I'm not entirely convinced he wouldn't figure out a way to make more from beyond the grave...

You beat me to it! My sentiments exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki's "retirement" reminds me a lot of the late director Akira Kurosawa's retirement:

Kurosawa/Miyazaki: Time for me to retire!

(spends a few minutes fidgeting, then sighs)

Kurosawa/Miyazaki: Damn. I'm bored. I guess I might as well make a movie if I can find the funding.

(From out of nowhere, a hand appears holding a big check.)

Stephen Spielberg: YOU WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER FILM!?!?!! Here's a few million dollars. Have fun!

Kurosawa/Miyazaki: Thank you!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:

You beat me to it! My sentiments exactly.

If Tupac and Mj can keep releasing albums after death I highly suspect Miyazaki could keep animating movies from beyond as well. Regardless if it's his "final" film or not I think the 3 year span is a good idea simply to test his resolve in terms of making the movie and caring. Between being a curmudgeon who might change his mind and the honest fact of he's not a spring chicken anymore I think the 3 years gives him time to truly decide if this was an impulse idea or not. If it's not an impulse idea and he plans to stick with it then it gives him plenty of time to craft the movie into something up to his own expectations. Not just rush something and slap a Miyazaki or Ghibli tag on it to sell it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I don´t believe that this will be his last (feature) endeavor. He will just start the next one, if this one doesn´t finish him. Or the one after that. The producers will have to rip the cells from his dead hands.

His last Last Film was a career highlight, so let´s see here. I would do a biography, if i was him. Or something about the anime or film industry. In the vain of Millennium Actress.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2