• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds United

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know what I'm listening to during my 2 1/2 hour drive tomorrow.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought I would never see the 4 amigos together again. Fun times.

A comment on Anime Strike. It might feel like Amazon got half of the titles from Spring 2016, but they got like a third; what they got is half of the best shows. I hope they get at most 10 titles per season going forward because I don't want them to obliterate Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
On the question I put in about a Limited Run Games-esque style for anime, I think the Supernerds had a slight misconception about what LRG actually does, especially when compared to Aniplex.

Aniplex does limited runs, sure, but they are premium releases that are either outright limited editions or simply charge premium prices to account for the limited audiences. Limited Run Games, in comparison, are simply what they say: "Limited Run". While LRG does occasionally do limited editions, like they offered for DariusBurst on PS4 recently, they mainly do nothing more than put out a limited physical run that's priced at what the game normally goes for (for the most part). DariusBurst, for example, was $60 (which is what it goes for on PSN still), while something like Firewatch was $30 or so. Unlike Aniplex, Limited Run is not a company focused on offering premium products.

I got the standard edition of DariusBurst from LRG, and it is literally nothing more than a BD in a case with a cover. There's no manual, no DLC packed in, & it's nothing more than your standard physical game release nowadays. That's what I was thinking of more from my question. For example (to use a title always brought up online), how about an anime like Tatami Galaxy? Since FUNimation (& seemingly every other company at the moment) seem to have no interest in offering that show physically in a traditional fashion, what if a company tried giving it a standard but limited (like 2,000) print run, just so that people who want a physical release can finally have one, and then it's done with.

Finally, to answer Mike's question, was my question also a veiled thought about Ring ni Kakero 1 being released? Eh, maybe, but I've more or less stopped putting hope in that after Selby from Discotek told me at Otakon that he won't be doing anymore Masami Kurumada titles, due to Seiya consistently bombing for them. Outside of Anime Midstream maybe giving it a chance following B't X (which I'm patiently waiting for with one eye), I've essentially given up on that. Should the universe suffer from absolute entropy & it gets some sort of official release then I'll be happy, but I'm not bothering with it anymore; I have my R2 DVDs, so I'm good for now.

Also, I got Cinedigm's DVD release for Saint Seiya's Sanctuary Chapter. Is it the best release? No, but at least it's a release that I was able to watch, so I'm fine with it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
GITS will make its money back on home video. Worst case scenario, they'll just write it off w/ that Transformers money. Anyway, can you think of any other big-name actress who can generate that kind of return on her name alone? If you wanna go by actors, only Arnie makes that kind of money for a big-budget sci-fi film, and only with the Terminator franchise.

Quote:
Casting these movies does not mean they're gonna succeed more.

Well, they tried being authentic with that live-action '09 Blood movie, and no one showed up at all. So....

Quote:
If it had good WOM, it would do crazy box office.

Gattaca, anyone? Or Pacific Rim itself, which you also brought up? And while it wasn't my favorite, Dredd?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Aura Battler Dunbine is streaming on Daisuki.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
If you're giving flak to someone for liking Tiger Mask W, you can't be watching the show, cause it is very enjoyable. High art it is not, but it is a fun show. While not consistent, it has some good animation in it. After watching it, I have a much better appreciation of professional wrestling and its appeal. I probably wouldn't have gotten into it if not for Daryl's review of the first cours - and some positive coverage of the animation elsewhere -
as I passed on it originally due to the low ratings in the preview guide (it always seems to be the ones that I pass on sight unseen that end up being the ones I pick up later and wish I had started sooner). Of the Toei shows that air on Saturdays, it is the one that I look forward to the most (and watch first when I come home from work). I would love to see the rest of the series reviewed if possible.

Hulu is definitely getting some interesting stuff. I've been trying to get rid of my subscription for some time, as they don't really get any exclusive simulcasts anymore (or at least Anime Network's so I didn't have to get an Anime Network subscription, which I finally did and do not recommend). With some of their recent catalog additions, I think I'll keep it for now. I actually saw Slayers for the first time this past week because of it, so if they can keep adding stuff I haven't seen, they will have earned my subscription dollars, higher prices even with ads and all.

I have the Platinum Collection of Evangelion (the thin pack version) and I will not be giving that one up. It was actually my first anime purchase which I got for like 40 bucks used (which is like a fifth of the current asking price used on Amazon).

This year will actually be my first Otakon and first big con in general (I've went to a small one near where I used to live a couple times). Being in DC is definitely more convenient for me, given I could take the metro from where I live if I wanted to. Despite living near DC, I've only been a few times, and mostly in the touristy areas, so I don't know if could give any good recommendations. I would recommend checking out Alexandria though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
Otakon will certainly be rather interesting this year. As it'll be a new experience for pretty much everyone. I occasionally have work in the area of the Convention center, so I've sort of had a couple of opportunities to look around the area, but I should probably get together with a couple of friends and just scout out the local food options. Already made sure the walk from our hotel will be as easy as possible, though unfortunately on the opposite side of the convention center to Chipotle...
I could probably give some reasonable recommendations, as I've been in the area for about 14 years now. Though honestly, if you've never been to DC, you should really just see the main attractions(i.e. Smithsonian stuff, monuments and memorials, etc) that everyone already knows about. Those things are well worth your time, even if they are what everyone else is already doing. That sushi place brought up in a recent answerman, Blue Ocean, is definitely a place people should try out though. Though this is less a recommendation for those at the convention and more for anyone in the area for more than a few days, as you're probably looking at about 30 minutes of driving from downtown DC to Fairfax where it is. Not exactly a place to get lunch during the convention. Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
zr: If you like Tiger Mask W, then give Matsutaro a whirl, next. It's also on CR, and from Toei.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Otakon will certainly be rather interesting this year. As it'll be a new experience for pretty much everyone. I occasionally have work in the area of the Convention center, so I've sort of had a couple of opportunities to look around the area, but I should probably get together with a couple of friends and just scout out the local food options.

I've been researching potential dining locations for some time now, albeit by proxy. The convention centre's close proximity to Fuddruckers and Nando's—the latter being a high-street staple over here but a strange rarity in the US—provides some immediate options. Chinatown may do so as well, but my research to such an end is still ongoing.
relyat08 wrote:
I could probably give some reasonable recommendations, as I've been in the area for about 14 years now.

What do you say about Popeyes, out of interest? I understand there is a branch in such a city. On a perhaps more related note, is the DC 'half-smoke' as good a sausage as it is proclaimed to be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
I could probably give some reasonable recommendations, as I've been in the area for about 14 years now.

What do you say about Popeyes, out of interest? I understand there is a branch in such a city. On a perhaps more related note, is the DC 'half-smoke' as good a sausage as it is proclaimed to be?

I am not a huge fan of fried chicken, if I'm entirely honest, but Popeyes is one of the better chains I've been to. Unlike KFC their chicken has a much better breading and their biscuits are also quite tasty. Never been to the one in DC though. Like many fast food places, I'm a little surprised how much variation there is depending on location and management.
As for Nando's there have been a ton of them popping up in the DC area just in the last 5 years or so, really. Where I actually live in Nova, we just got one 2 years ago, and I know of at least 5 other locations just in Nova that have opened up within that same window. It's pretty insane growth. Pretty good chicken though.
The closest Popeyes to the convention center happens to be right across the street from one of the most popular bars in the city as well, for what it's worth. Churchkey. They have a massive selection of micro brews and really pretty much any kind of beer you might like.

I've never been to HalfSmoke, unfortunately. But it seems pretty dang cool. Maybe I'll check that out in the next couple of months.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
That last question (about happiness being obtained without sacrifice) has to be the most philosophical question I have ever heard on ANNCast. I guess rich people occasionally resort to drugs because they already have so much but money can't really bring love.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The closest Popeyes to the convention center happens to be right across the street from one of the most popular bars in the city as well, for what it's worth. Churchkey. They have a massive selection of micro brews and really pretty much any kind of beer you might like.

I have heard anecdotes about people combining anime conventions with drinking, but I have yet to see the practice for myself. Is it commonplace for people to continue the proverbial party after a day at Otakon, may I ask?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I have heard anecdotes about people combining anime conventions with drinking, but I have yet to see the practice for myself. Is it commonplace for people to continue the proverbial party after a day at Otakon, may I ask?

Yes, why yes it is. I don't partake in such festivities myself, but Otakon is a fairly loud convention by most standards, I would say. And the parties do indeed rage on through the night. Though if you have a hotel that is separate from the convention center itself(and most do at Otakon), it's pretty easy to avoid them if you need some down time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1