• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Random English Used So Much In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
"Because it looks cool and no one really cares what it means."
So like, how Japanese is used in the US?

Oui, c'est vrai.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Although rare, there have been a few Japanese singers that tried their luck a singing at least one original English song before...
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I very distinctly remember my first time seeing English text in an anime, as a very new anime fan, was the news stations in Tiger & Bunny. My initial thought was to praise Viz for going in and translating/editing the original animated Japanese text. Someone later explained to me that wasn't the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Currently I'm living in the inaka and even here where there are no foreigners for miles you can still occasionally hear the odd English phrase or smattering of words.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Back in the '90s when I first saw Project A-ko in its subtitled version, I was surprised the theme songs were sung in English and were not a creation of the dub version.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there's ever been a case of a gaming title in Japan that has been English-subbed...
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Not unique to Japan either. When I visited Malaysia and Thailand, there were lots of signs and advertising that were either completely in English, or featured mostly English text.

Some of the ads were for new homes or apartment developments, and given how difficult it is for foreigners to purchase/own property in those countries, I doubt foreigners are the target market for those ads.

Like others have said, they probably use English because it's cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
"For example, when Japanese fans watch End of Evangelion and Komm Süsser Tod starts playing, nobody knows or really cares that much what those lyrics say. It simply sounds like a rollicking English/foreign gospel song that washes over them as part of the larger experience."

Or perhaps (with Mike Toole's recent column in mind here too) a few of them might think they do know the song and the lyrics, but it's confusing them because it's not quite the same as they remember.

(Is there someone who hasn't noticed this before? Did I blow your mind? Razz)
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder if there's ever been a case of a gaming title in Japan that has been English-subbed...

You can do the voice track of the North American release of Atelier Iris in Japanese, if that's what you mean.

It's worth pointing out that many countries that use non-Latin scripts do provide transliteration into Latin, since the majority of the world can read some language that uses it. You might not know how to pronounce, say, "Pl. Narutowizca", but that's usually sufficient to at least navigate to if you were told that's your stop. If there's actual translation, it'll usually be in English or French because virtually the entire world outside the Americas and Europe was either an English or a French colony (or of another English/French-speaking country) 100 years ago, and thus the elites would have spoken English or French anyways. And in many such countries, there was no unifying language for them other than the colonial language.

English is by far the most common secondary language taught (it's not only one of the top languages by L1 speakers, it's also one of the few languages where L2 speakers vastly outnumber L1 speakers). It's quite common for foreign languages to have a certain cachet, that you use for individual word selection whether for slang (e.g., cojones) or to make you sound smarter or more refined (e.g., je ne sais quoi or cachet).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Oh, that reminds me--I haven't visited Engrish.com in months.

Flah wrote:
Quote:
Imagine what America would be like if literally everybody had to take French every year of middle and high school, most of us listened to French music and watched a ton of French movies, but very very few of us knew any French people or ever traveled to a French speaking country. We'd all retain some French, but after a few years of disuse, we'd be pretty bad at speaking it.

Aside from the French music and movies, you've just described Canada.

Well, you DO have a key difference in how Canada has a lot of people whose primary language is French and some of whom don't know English, whereas you don't have a lot of people in Japan, if any, who learned English first and don't know a lick of Japanese. The French language pervaded the rest of Canada due to French Canadians, but there isn't an English Japanese (or American Japanese, or Australian Japanese) population to provide that kind of influence.

roxybudgy wrote:
Not unique to Japan either. When I visited Malaysia and Thailand, there were lots of signs and advertising that were either completely in English, or featured mostly English text.

Some of the ads were for new homes or apartment developments, and given how difficult it is for foreigners to purchase/own property in those countries, I doubt foreigners are the target market for those ads.

Like others have said, they probably use English because it's cool.

I can say that with Thailand, there's been a fascination with the United States by young people there since at least the early 00's. They'll hang out at McDonald's and Taco Bell, wear what they think is trendy in the United States, watch Hollywood movies and Burbank/Glendale television, listen to English-language pop music, and adopt a few random loanwords and phrases. But the educational system regarding English classes is much the same there as in Japan: Kids just treat it as something they must learn to get good test scores, and despite the USA being the cool country where all the cool stuff happens, few dedicate themselves to learning English well enough to communicate with an American. (Most are not even aware there are multiple versions of English--schools in Thailand predominantly teach the Queen's English, and these people get confused when Americans use their own spellings or terms.)
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
PannenkoekenNL wrote:
It isn't just in Japan. It's the same here (the Netherlands), some commercials are even completely kept in English because it sounds 'cool'.

Not quite the same; the Netherlands has (or at least as far as I can tell) more people actually able to speak English to a competent level.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Well, at least now you know how do we feel when we heard Spanish words in your English. Seriously, a sombrero is just a hat, Very Happy
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
We do this all around the globe. It's pretty normal.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
PannenkoekenNL wrote:
It isn't just in Japan. It's the same here (the Netherlands), some commercials are even completely kept in English because it sounds 'cool'.

Not quite the same; the Netherlands has (or at least as far as I can tell) more people actually able to speak English to a competent level.
I found this to be the case in Amsterdam. Maybe bilingual or multilingual proficiency is more encouraged.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It's worth nothing that the URLs of websites tend to use English for their webpages, instead of any sort of romanization(possibly helped along by web languages having extensive vocabularies). This might begin to change now that UTF-8 is allowed in URLs instead of them being limited to ASCII(making the web less secure in one fell swoop), but it's not likely to be quick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2