• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Eromanga Sensei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So when this episode suddenly shifts into Megumi getting bound up for Sagiri's amusement and subsequently harassed by the siblings, it's a jarring segment. This bit is clearly supposed to be funny, and it might work for some people, but seeing this middle-school girl get treated this way will be just plain uncomfortable for most.

I have read plenty of manga and i remember read a few comedy manga about students making a manga or making games where is usual to have this kind of scene where a character is used as a model and is usual to that character to end up harassed and humiliated.

Is a comedy plot devise in that kind of comedy manga, as the usual falling in breast or the usual enter a room where a girl is undressing.

The readers of manga with some or many fan-service scenes are used to that kind of comedy divice.
BWT, this kind of scenes also have male characters as the object of the harassment and humiliation.

Is not like they do it on purpose so they be amused or to harass Megumi. Like is usual in this kind of scene, Sagiri ended up going too far with her work and ended up harass and humiliate Megumi. But i can't see bad intentions on Sagiri part. She just didn't know where to stop.

Quote:
She's tied up, leered at by Sagiri while she draws her, then summarily insulted by Masamune over her uncouth habits.

He didn't insult her. He just pointed the difference that her usual lewd talk and claims of experience (remember the minute-long segment to expounds at length about her love for dicks ) and the shy behavior she is showing.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun May 14, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
dash56

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"that's a bad sign for its overall tone."

Disagree completely. This is EXACTLY what I signed up for. More smut, please!

I don't know why but that made me laugh. Also I have to say that this show's animation quality is solid and has been since ep 1. Super impressive considering the production problems.

The humor isn't for everyone but this has certainly been a personal highlight every week.
Fhoo

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
#870779 wrote:
I've checked ANN every day for the last 2 years and I only just made an account to respond to this review. This might be the worst, most opinionated review I've ever seen for any anime. You're literally grasping at straws to put the show down. Oh, no they were mean to Megumi, by far the most annoying and irritating character in the show, so now the series is going downhill. If that seen got you so offended, you should probably just drop the series. This anime is meant to have it's perverted momemts, because it is exactly how you described it: a sex comedy. Sagiri is a little girl that loves drawing naked and lewd women, and needs to see panties for inspiration, but suddenly Megumi being a middle schooler makes this scene not okay? But her coming on to her classmates older brother just so she can get closer with that classmate Is? Okay. Just do yourself a favor and drop it

I don't even agree with a lot of points in the reviews (I actually think the reviewer is pretty quick to bring up ways the show is basically competent as positives), but any sentence in that comment is worse than any point made in the reviews so far.
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
What? I thought this was the best episode yet and just raised my score on MAL and then I come here to see THIS review and score? WHAT?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
#870779 wrote:
Sagiri is a little girl that loves drawing naked and lewd women, and needs to see panties for inspiration, but suddenly Megumi being a middle schooler makes this scene not okay?

Quality of the show aside, you're asking if there's a difference between a person taking an interest in sex and a person getting tied up against her will? Wow.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Megumin more or less atoned for her sins. A pretty satisfying and comedic conclusion to her mini arc of wanting to be Sagiri's friend. Instead of merely forcing herself to like a hobby just to get close to someone, she has forged a genuine interest in otaku media and created a genuine friendship with Sagiri.

I thought it was silly instead of creepy because they were both middle school girls. Even if that wasn't the case though, the fact that it's fiction gives me a higher tolerance of what to consider funny rather than disturbing.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
should we not forget that the contest he is entering is supposed to be for new authors, but the most popular author in their world just entered like it was nothing? This show is so inconsistent with anything it literally introduced a rookie tournament and then put someone like Eiichiro Oda before the scene was over.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's unfair to the publisher. They were going to publish his book, just next year. It was his own personal circumstances that required him to get it out earlier. Then they go out of their way to give him a special exception in order to give him another chance.

I agree, also this episode compelled me to look up some spoilers for this story because of little hints in the latter parts. spoiler[Hopefully as soon as next episode they make it clear that Muramasa herself has been EXPLICITLY putting roadblocks in Masamune's way. And considering just how MUCH money she brings the publisher, the fact that they were gonna let him run with that story at all says how "supportive" they've actually been with him.]

I'm not disgusted, but I agree that the front half is pretty weak this episode, but I personally found the last few minutes REALLY interesting. Also, I like the look Muramasa gets when Elf gives her excuse for being able to rant at her.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
#870779 wrote:
Sagiri is a little girl that loves drawing naked and lewd women, and needs to see panties for inspiration, but suddenly Megumi being a middle schooler makes this scene not okay?

Quality of the show aside, you're asking if there's a difference between a person taking an interest in sex and a person getting tied up against her will? Wow.

Not against her will. Please look at the scene again. She let herself get tied in order to get close to Sagiri. Is not like they tied her so they can harass her.
phatmlrd

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but i think criticizing Eromanga Sensei for the Megumin scene is like criticizing Gundam for having giant robots.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Sagiri struggling to walk outside the confines of her room just brings back to the forefront something that has been bothering me. Even if she managed for a year washing herself with flannels, unless there was a system of exchanging bottles and.. other containers... she has to have been leaving her room to visit the facilities. Not once in a year did they bump into each other outside the toilet door?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
michizure

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least the technicality of how he wins is amusing.

Amusing, and also tied directly into Elf's training montage: if she hadn't intervened, he might well have been eliminated on the same technicality. He owes his win, at least in part, to Elf. This show may be all about the pandering, but it's thoughtful pandering.
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sagiri struggling to walk outside the confines of her room just brings back to the forefront something that has been bothering me. Even if she managed for a year washing herself with flannels, unless there was a system of exchanging bottles and.. other containers... she has to have been leaving her room to visit the facilities. Not once in a year did they bump into each other outside the toilet door?

Apparently she holds it and goes when he is out of the house.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this episode felt a bit rushed for everything that was going on, especially the introduction, interaction, and spoiler[dismissal of Muramasa. She was only really introduced in the last episode and in this one, she challenges Masamune, with the winner getting a request from the loser (which seems to have been forgotten when the contest is over). Then, she comes over, and in my opinion, is like a little creepy when she states that she wants him to write just for her (I'm getting a stalker feeling from her and the idea of trapping a singing bird in a birdcage to sing just for her feeling at this point). Then, she gets disqualified from the contest for not following the rules. I mean, c'mon. I thought that this was a true contest between the two. Why did she just throw in the towel? Then, we find out that she's in love with him. I'm not sure if this love was founded before she actually met him and went to his house or after. I'm actually curious if her submission was like his story to Sagiri, like a love letter to Masamune. In either case, I believe this all to be a bit rushed and maybe the creator and production staff wanted to re-aim the focus back on Sagiri rather than Muramasa, but I believe that it is still a good idea to build up to these things at a little slower pace. At least Muramasa gets rejected up front, unlike a certain other show, where many fans were upset by the sudden change in the MC's love interest. I also hope Muramasa continues to write well and eventually finds love.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why this is spoiler tagged since it's in reference to the most recent episode that was being reviewed, but...
Mune wrote:
spoiler[Then, she comes over, and in my opinion, is like a little creepy when she states that she wants him to write just for her (I'm getting a stalker feeling from her and the idea of trapping a singing bird in a birdcage to sing just for her feeling at this point).]

I think it makes for an interesting dynamic. You KNOW there is (and will be) a harem. Of all the girls, Muramasa's affection actually seems the second most "healthy" (bookstore girl's possible attraction being most "normal"). Basically Muramasa was trying to get Masamune to go back to writing the story that SHE liked. She found out from the editor he was working on a new story because he needed the money, so her "solution" was that he should write for HER (instead of the publishing house, who wasn't going to pay for his less successful series that SHE liked) since that's what she wanted to read and she has plenty of money (after selling 14 million copies) to pay him. That said, she's also obviously attracted to him and wants to be his "sugar momma".

(by comparison, Elf has no real reason to be into Masamune nor does Sagiri's classmate. Sagiri DOES have reason that I'm sure will be explored over the course of this series as she's obviously the "waifu", but I can acknowledge that there's plenty of issues with the pairing at this stage. As much as I'm enjoying the show, I'm not really into the "little sister" fetish, I don't think it's awful, it's just not my personal thing)
Mune wrote:
spoiler[I'm actually curious if her submission was like his story to Sagiri, like a love letter to Masamune.]

Not really a spoiler, but... spoiler[Since the title was "My not cute Kouhai" and he even asks if it was a story about him and her (and she admits it), it's pretty obvious that yes the story was exactly like his story to Sagiri. Also, Elf essentially says exactly that also (that it is Muramasa's "love letter" to him), and she's actually read both stories.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8