• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Either the next episode or the one after it should make it extra clear why it was specifically Reiner who came up with such a ridiculous way of going about doing that.

Each betrayal,the mass killings,the murder and the shock of Ymir all served to push both Reiner & Bertholdt well past their breaking point.Clearly there is no plan,just the desire to get home,to get away from the hell they're both in emotionally.

The anime does an excellent job of portraying Reiner,Bertholdt and Annie slowly becoming more and more conflicted about their mission,and their increasing desire to just return home.

Two episodes from the first season,episode 7 at 7:23 ish Annie & Reiner's quick discussion,and episode 13 at 18:23 Annie & Reiner's quick exchange over Marco's corpse.Both show the toll of being a soldier following orders is taking on their warrior's code/pride.Hence episode 6's title 'Warrior'.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote

After the big action buffet viewers have enjoyed over the last 2-3 episodes, something sedate for this week (with the next week probably promising a bit more of the same).

To be honest, I think even viewers not familiar with the source material should recognise what Eren is by now even without the flashback which took up most of this episode. It's nice as a reminder for who Hannes is and what he was to the 3 kids, but not really helpful other than to pass the time.

Assuming I haven't made a mistake, the big fight between Ymir and the other titans lasted until daybreak. Then there was the short 1-2 hour interlude at the top of the wall before Reiner and Bertholdt made their move. Considering the fight last episode took about 15-20 minutes including the scene right at the beginning plus Armin's own statement of the 5 hours which passed when Mikasa regained consciousness, I'd say the pursuers have at most 3-4 hours to get to their target location before nightfall (assuming this is Spring/Autumn, if it's Summer they have more time).

Titan regenerative capabilities certainly are something to envy. Ymir was at death's door two episodes ago and she's capable of talking to and restraining Eren (despite missing complete arms) by next week's episode. Just under a full day to restore damaged internal organs and missing limbs (both Ymir and Eren need a bit of time to get rid of the blood vessel/flesh look on their faces since they were forcibly ejected).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
Probably says something that by now Mikasa would have lost her mind, she has already had her times when thinking Eren was eaten and when the Female titan.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ah, this week's episode reminds me why bullies should think twice about attacking Eren especially when Mikasa is around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Nothing much happens in this episode to be honest. Some hints that were casually thrown around last season were more or less confirmed with Ymir's assertion/bluff. Not a psychology or psychiatry expert, but Reiner's "condition" does appear to be an actual problem for some people living through extreme trauma.

Bertholdt on the other hand is holding himself together extremely well. Perhaps it's because his super ginormous alter-ego has some effect on keeping himself stable despite everything he has seen and experienced.

No idea if Ymir's observation regarding the Beast Titan is true, but based on next week's trailer she'll have regained the ability to transform and has a backstory of her own to tell.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Reiner is quite insane, he knows all the stuff is terrible, it even looks like they killed Marco, but rather than face it he instead deludes himself. Like he was acting as if he was just doing work for the scouts after he literally attacked them. That he is trying to act like he is not some monster. Which is at least how Eren sees it, while I am sure we will learn that they were a bunch of kids who did something they did not understand, and now feel they are too deep now to go back. That there probably is some group within the group which are bad and caused the type of pain that lead them to attack, and it is probably the type of thing that has the church guy who knows but won't say because they themselves were in a similar situation of feeling they are too gone to turn back.

It would be interesting if it was all meant to play in how we saw Eren's unflinching hatred of Titans, and how it would put him at risk of commiting the same type of atrocities of the guilty parties. Like a country whipping up soldier to fight a war that the people feel wronged, before they throw away their humanity and do horrible things. In that way making the German military like setting apt.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
My impression was not that Reiner killed Marco, but that due to their actions of allowing the Titans into Trost, Marco was killed. In other words, they're *indirectly* responsible for Marco dying, just as they are for Eren's mom being killed (more directly in that case, as a part of the gate crushed his house and pinned her there).

I have to say I was annoyed at the way they played around with revealing something interesting about the Beast Titan. Everyone there seemed to know something except Erin (and us). However, based on what they did say, it would seem that there is an enemy beyond the ones we know about (and that includes the Armored and Colossal Titans). They seemed uneasy talking about him (it?), and were trying to avoid the topic entirely until Ymir basically forced them into (not) discussing it -- I guess talking around it would be a better way to put it.

Well, after a couple of slower episodes, it looks like the pace is going to pick back up next episode, and something they find in Connie's town is probably going to be significant, too. Hange seems to have figured out that the Titans they've been facing up till now didn't come from a breach in the walls, so... where *did* they come from? Welcome home, Connie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
A disappointing episode for me. Disappointing because I had the expectation we were finally going to learn more about the Titans than we actually did. Considering the bulk of the episode was four people in trees, talking, we learned very little. I find it strange that even a none-too-bright guy like Eren wouldn't have asked, "so, um, exactly why do you want to take me back to your town?"
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
It's clear that Eren in particular is viewed as some sort of prize by the Titan group represented by Reiner and Bert, but not *why* he is such a prize. I'm pretty sure that had Eren asked that question, he wouldn't have gotten a clear answer, just as he didn't get a clear answer from them about the Beast Titan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
No doubt that's true, but it is still virtually an obligatory question. He even said to himself as part of his internal monologue, "I have to get information." Their purpose for him seems like a good place to start.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.
spoiler[Well we find out some more info about Ymir.
She was part of a cult who were later arrested and forcibly turned into Titans which she remain stuck in her Titan form for 60 years before eating Reiner's friend turned her back into a human.
I'm curious if Reiner's hometown has a connection with Ymir's city since they both have a relation with humans turning into Titans.]
[/spoiler]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote

More action than last week, but it's more on the conversation and information revealed in this episode that should pique viewer interest. Not only do Titans have incredibly long lifespans compared to the humans they eat, it seems there's some kingdom outside the walls that has a capital punishment of throwing humans over the walls and turning them into mindless Titans before they hit the ground. This of course begs even more questions which the uninitiated anime-only viewers can only find out either through further adaptation or reading the source material for the answers.

Another point which seems important: Reiner and Bertholdt believe Eren is just like Ymir in that he "awakened" to his human form after inadvertently eating a "sentient" Titan. Yet viewers from the first adaptation know that patently isn't the case since Eren's father injected him with something which he claimed unlocked the secrets of the Titan group. Eren despite his frenzy-addled brain will have to remember the last fragment of conversation he heard before he passed out under Reiner's chokehold if he is to gain something meaningful from the experience should he escape alive.

I didn't watch the parody series which preceded this, but I didn't think the Annie x Bertholdt angle was heavily emphasised in the first series. It is made clear that Annie, Bertholdt, Reiner and the unfortunate Marcel were travelling together when Ymir decided to wake up and have a meal.

The way Ymir scooped up her target shows she's definitely doing everything in her power to keep Christa unharmed as best as she can. The lip pout seems to indicate using the lips to hold Christa in place instead of the teeth which would cause considerable injury to the bit of Christa's leg that's sticking out.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't watch the parody series which preceded this, but I didn't think the Annie x Bertholdt angle was heavily emphasised in the first series. It is made clear that Annie, Bertholdt, Reiner and the unfortunate Marcel were travelling together when Ymir decided to wake up and have a meal.

It was more of an emphasis that Reiner was doing the blame game at the time, he thought that the "jig was up" because Bert would often give lengthy glances at Annie during there boot camp days, Reiner didn't contemplate something as obvious as signing up fake records where they would tie the group together during the period when they were trying to hide among the refugees and of course it was HIM who revealed info to Annie in her Titan form.

Either way, pointing fingers by then was not really worth discussion as the Survey Corps was already hot on the trail and negotiating with Ymir became top priority.

The only thing "nice" is that Bert could forgive Ymir who had unwittingly eaten there comrade Marcel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So Reiner thinks Eren might be the "Coordinate", eh? I wonder what the hell that is. And Ymir was finally able to sate her long held desire to eat Christa, heh-heh-heh...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this was quite a bit to unpack. There is at least one other kingdom out there, and they can turn people into Titans as punishment in a sort of execution act. Maybe it was not really relivant, but Ymir almost made it sound like Titans themselves can be called warriors when she talked about the threat of getting eaten by theirs'. Could kingdoms got this sort of Titan tech and start throwing them at each other in a huge war, Reiner and group blamed the main series kingdom for the war and agreed to help destroy their defences? I kind of feel that some hints might be in the uniforms of the people where Ymir was from, what they were influenced by like how the main series was Germany. I am not the most knowledgeable on world wars, but perhaps some allusions to real world conflicts, like how Germany was blamed for both world wars?

But what is a "Coordinate"? And why is it so important?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 93 of 107