• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action I Kill Giants Film Reveals Stills of Zoe Saldana, Madison Wolfe

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I've got this graphic novel, just need to read it as I've heard it's fantastic. Madison Wolfe was great in The Conjuring 2 so I'm hopeful she'll be good as the lead here.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
So how come the usual corners of the interwebs haven't complained about "white washing" like Ghost in the Shell and Death Note?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
So how come the usual corners of the interwebs haven't complained about "white washing" like Ghost in the Shell and Death Note?

This is an American comic. Wannabe-manga, not actually Japanese.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
An absolutely excellent graphic novel, hope the film does it justice.

Lord Oink wrote:
IanC wrote:

The author is Japanese, the manga takes place in America. Get your facts straight before accusing something of being "wanna-be". It's like saying Hetalia is "wanna-be manga" because the author lived in America when he started it and the characters, such as they were, represented different nationalities.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Since when is the US Image Comics comic a "manga" dear ANN. I get why the news is here, due to the artist, but this is still an American production targeting American readers.
The comics is alright and the flopped Scott Pilgrim film would be the blue print how to adapt here. Going with an adult as the protagonist is weird though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Since when is the US Image Comics comic a "manga" dear ANN.

Ask the Japanese awards that named it Best International Manga.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The author is Japanese, the manga takes place in America. Get your facts straight before accusing something of being "wanna-be". It's like saying Hetalia is "wanna-be manga" because the author lived in America when he started it and the characters, such as they were, represented different nationalities.

Uh, no. I Kill Giants was created by Joe Kelly, a fairly popular American comic writer. Hetalia was made by an actual Japanese guy. Completely different.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
^Joe Kelly and J. M. Ken Niimura, who also wrote and illustrated an originally Japanese manga called Henshin, which was covered by ANN, too:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-07/image-comics-to-publish-ken-niimura-henshin/.81781
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
With Chris Columbus on the x-producers, this feels like this may have been a last-minute substitute for that Americanized remake of Norway's "Troll Hunters" that Columbus never got to direct.
Trolls, giants, six o'one...
simona.com

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
An absolutely excellent graphic novel, hope the film does it justice.

Lord Oink wrote:

the author is not actually Japanese but Spanish of Japanese descent.
http://www.paulgravett.com/articles/article/ken_niimura

I would not call I Kill Giants a Japanese manga, maybe International manga, but it's a very fascinating multicultural mix so I'm not sure about that either Anime hyper
It's a comic for sure though! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1