• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
荻達魚

I suspect this is not Japanese. (I'm entering it for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! key animation ep 5)

The name is 'Ogi Tatsurō'. (The family name is Ogi.)
After working as an animator in Tokyo, he has returned to Kyoto, and he paints/draws pictures and makes dolls.

http://sound.jp/uzura/gallery2006.html
https://twitter.com/basarabooks/status/433914184066035713

DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks. 荻達 wasn't coming up and neither was 達魚, so I figured it was Chinese or something.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is my first time trying to get involved with the Encyclopedia, so I apologize if this is the wrong place for this sort of information.

Right now 倉谷涼一 is transliterated as Ryouichi KURATANI. However, his company's website lists his romanized name as Ryouichi Kuraya (the credits seem to fit, so it's apparently the same person). Since the "report an error" feature only seems to allow me to report errors in the original Japanese writing of the name and not the romanization, I thought I'd mention this on the forum.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

Right now 倉谷涼一 is transliterated as Ryouichi KURATANI. However, his company's website lists his romanized name as Ryouichi Kuraya (the credits seem to fit, so it's apparently the same person). Since the "report an error" feature only seems to allow me to report errors in the original Japanese writing of the name and not the romanization, I thought I'd mention this on the forum.

Thanks for reporting. I've merged him to Ryōichi Kuraya now. Also worthy of note is that listing implies that Ryou Karasuma is a pseudonym since the script work on Morita-san and Recorder and Randsell matches those credits.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Can anyone help with the reading for the series composition writer for Hacka Doll?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXj7F-2i-s
シリーズ構成: 真衣沢かなと

It seems to be a rare last name. Any guesses? I used Kanato Maizawa in an article for now, but I can happily fix it if anyone has a better idea.

Also, the scriptwriter for the series is 脚本:佐藤裕 (TRIGGER), which seems to be part of the mess from this thread. I do know the same person worked on Ninja Slayer (Source), and in our encyclopedia we have Yu Sato as the person who worked on those scripts, so I've listed the scriptwriter as Yu Sato for now, but if that mess ever gets cleared up we should change it if Yu isn't the romanization of the first name.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall even coming across Kanato as a name before (and there are no others in the database)
If you search for
Code:
"真衣沢" -"かなと"
you don't get a great many results and out of those, most if not all are just adjacent text matches; I would go as far as to say this is not only rare but unique, so probably an Ateji or something.

The Kanji set for Yu Sato is 佐藤優 which could be read Hiroshi, but isn't even listed in the nightmare thread yet...
Might be worth enquiring with https://twitter.com/Trigger_Tattun as to how it is pronounced.

(The role "Scripts" for Ninja Slayer isn't being recognised as a primary role)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
阿部栞士
阿部栞土

These could be the same people, though the gap between works is wide, but I'm not sure which is the correct spelling. Regardless, I can't figure a reading on the given name no matter which is correct. (Some Japanese twitterers think the same thing)

None of the roles in those links are credited on ANN to anybody.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
For anime#17064

Code:
作画監督: バクジョンジュン (ep 11)

Source: http://saijaku.jp/story

There were four Korean names rendered in Katakana for the one episode and, while I believe I have found most of them in the Encyclopedia, this last one is giving me some difficulties; I can't find anything that looks like it in the Encyclopedia and I don't want to create an entry without being clearer on the spelling. Something like Jong-Joon Bak?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
金到暎 Do-Yeong Kim?

If this looks right, I'll need to add this person to the encyclopedia. This is more of a general process question, but how are we handling adding kanji names to non-Japanese people these days? If I go and add that kanji, in the future people will be able to add credits directly without the decoding. But I know that in thepast Dan has been against the practice of adding katakana in the kanji name field for English names that get credited in that way.

(FWIW, Jong-Joon Bak looks right to me.)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have any advice on 木上炯仁?

ENAMDICT has Kigami, Kinoue, Kiue, Kikami and Kinoe for 木上, but nothing on 炯仁.

The dude is listed as the company rep for the pretty new Avocado Studio: https://www.avocadost-inc.com/company

And he is also starting to pop up as an animator on a few shows on which Avocado has worked. I suspect he may be a founder or something. Maybe a better googler can get some hits out of that?
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Anybody have any advice on 木上炯仁?

ENAMDICT has Kigami, Kinoue, Kiue, Kikami and Kinoe for 木上, but nothing on 炯仁.

The dude is listed as the company rep for the pretty new Avocado Studio: https://www.avocadost-inc.com/company

And he is also starting to pop up as an animator on a few shows on which Avocado has worked. I suspect he may be a founder or something. Maybe a better googler can get some hits out of that?

When the kanji 炯 is used in a '炯 + another kanji'-style Japanese given name, a likely way to read the kanji 炯 is 'aki'. As to the kanji 仁, when it is used in an 'another kanji + 仁'-style Japanese given name, it may be 'to'. It may be 'hito'. It may be 'masa'. It may be 'nori'. There are many reading candidates. It depends on what his parents/godfather thought. (Since '炯仁' has an air of possibly being a non-Japanese East Asian name, you may have to take this possibility into account. '木上' may be a 'factorised' version of '朴'. 朴 is a frequent Korean surname.)
Since a kanji often has several reading candidates when it is used in a name, as you know, it is often difficult to correctly read a Japanese name when it doesn't have the furigana. Even if the name of a Japanese person written in kanji reminds you of the most likely reading candidate X, when you ask him/her about it, the Japanese person may say, 'No, actually, the correct way to read my name is Y.'
I think a few ANN staffers (perhaps tempest and dormcat) said, 'We cannot find the way to correctly read this Japanese name. Should we ask the company which this Japanese person works for about it? But we need someone who can write an inquiry letter in the proper Japanese business letter format,' or something along those lines in the forum. It is the 'best' way in a sense, but if you have to carry out research on many Japanese names in this way, it may be rather impractical.
As to a big-name person related to anime/manga, it is likely that you can find reliable sources which mention the way to read his name. But in the case of a 'minor' person, it is probable that sources to correctly read his/her name are unavailable.
Since the ANN Encyclopedia is in English, I understand that the staffers and contributors have to write Japanese names in rōmaji; hence they have to know correct ways to read Japanese names, and I would like to pay deference to the Encyclopedia staffers and contributors. But it might be better for the Encyclopedia staffers to think about how to deal with the names of 'minor' Japanese persons during the process of compiling a vast encyclopaedia of Japanese animations and comics, especially, an encyclopaedia of which text is in English.

EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The family name might be "Kigami" as it is for the prominent KyoAni animator.

One way to get an answer on his given name is to find an official release with English credits. These days FUNimation and Sentai titles are the most likely (but not all the time) to have minor staff roles listed.

Looking at what the Anime Staff Database has on him, he's in Saiki Kusuo, All Out!!, and Clockwork Planet which are dubbed by FUNi and likely to eventually have a home video release with translated credits. They're so recent that it's probably going to be a significant wait from this point, though.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji: I think I recall a discussion about contacting people for for encyclopedia information clarifications that tempest chimed in on, but I don't remember a conclusion. At any rate, I can't put together an email if I wanted to send one to Avocado Studio anyway. As for 木上 possibly being a factorized version of 朴, I'd like to point out Hyeong-In PARK...

Brandon: I did find him in our ecyclopedia when I was looking for prior readings. 木上益治 is in the encyclopedia twice, once as Masuji Kigami which may be a duplicate...

So, unless somebody pops in and says they want to compose an email to clarify the matter, I think I'll post the 木上炯仁 credits under Hyeong-In Park, with kanji in the precision for possible later splitting.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Brandon: I did find him in our ecyclopedia when I was looking for prior readings. 木上益治 is in the encyclopedia twice, once as Masuji Kigami which may be a duplicate...

I've merged him.

DerekTheRed wrote:
So, unless somebody pops in and says they want to compose an email to clarify the matter, I think I'll post the 木上炯仁 credits under Hyeong-In Park, with kanji in the precision for possible later splitting.

Yeah, that's got to be the same person. The change in family name makes me wonder if he's adopted a Japanese reading for his name. If that's the case, then Hyeong-In Park can be connected to the new name as an alias. But until there's proof, that solution should be fine.
Yuuan00

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I try to translate the name of the new WHITE FOX in-betweener :
陽本百香

It's ok for 百香 = Momoka
But I have difficulty with the family name 陽本

I found this page that speak about Akari Hinomoto (Digimon Xros character) but not sure it's safe :
http://www.twword.com/wiki/陽本明裡
Quote:
姓名:陽本明裡(陽ノ本アカリ)

I also checked Wiki page for kanji 陽 which can be read "Hi"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/陽

So how to translate it ? "Hinomoto", "Himoto", other ?
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8