• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SukaSuka (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda weird how they keep referring to humans as both emnetwihts and humans.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I think technically what's being translated as "emnetwihts" is human-person (in the same way some people are cat-people and dog-people), not just human. But it may just be sloppy translating, I'd have to find the scenes you're talking about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
Well kind of on that topic, with Chtholly's hair starting to turn red in episode 7, I think it is a sign she may be turning into a human (emnetwihts). From which Elq was one, and Chtholly might be going past the expected age. It makes me think that perhaps a threat of if Chtholly used a dug weapon might be that she herself could turn into a beast if she pushed too hard.

Kind of happy to find out there were more leprechauns.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think technically what's being translated as "emnetwihts" is human-person (in the same way some people are cat-people and dog-people), not just human. But it may just be sloppy translating, I'd have to find the scenes you're talking about.

Yeah, the word ningen-zoku is being translated to "emnetwiht". In an other thread people said that the word comes from the author. The word "emnetwiht" shows up on the anime's official site, apparently. It's just bizarre to have "human" and "emnetwiht" used interchangeably when talking about the same race.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
It's not that strange. Many designations have different names, such as official name, casual name, slang, racial slur. For example:

西方人(westerner): formal name
白人(white person): casual name
洋鬼子(overseas ogre): racial slur
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

洋鬼子(overseas ogre): racial slur

THIS one is new to me. Laughing

.........dammit, can't Willhem and Ctholly just make out already!? I'm tired of waiting!! Twisted Evil

I like how she wants to be a role model for the little girls because she feels responsible as the oldest fairy. That's a new side to her.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

.........dammit, can't Willhem and Ctholly just make out already!? I'm tired of waiting!! Twisted Evil
I like how she wants to be a role model for the little girls because she feels responsible as the oldest fairy. That's a new side to her.

Well for me Chtholly has been acting this way since episode 2,and Willem did kiss her,albeit of the forehead sill a first kiss from a boy/male,and we know kissing is a big deal in Japan.

Right now I think we're seeing Chtholly's desperation.Her borrowed time is growing short(red hair) and Willem still sees her as a daughter/young girl,hence the bold moves on her part.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I think this show has done a pretty good job at developing the relationship between Chtholly and Willem. Chtholly has become a lot more open about her feelings while Willem is starting to realize that he is falling in love. I like that the show is taking its time. Willem only saw Chtholly as a child at first so these things need time. Also I like the kind of tension that's in the air concerning Chtholly. She's degrading slowly but I feel like we don't know what exactly is going to happen to her. We just know that her hair is turning red, she isn't a leprechaun anymore and she seems to be losing her memories. So her future doesn't very bright right now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Chtholly is giving off a powerful scent of doom. There will be crying in the Blood- household, I sense it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
It is Flip Flappers all over again. There are pretty strong hints that she has already lost important memories like the first time she met Willem, this is kind of a big deal, and kind of leads down a road of how much the Chtholly we knew will even be left.

I also like that Nygglatho admitted that of course she is interested in Willem, that in the long term there might even be something there, but she has other things on her mind at the moment. She has kind of been one of the characters I have most liked in the show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
This OTP is too precious for words.

PLEASE KEEP THEM SAFE. Anime cry
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I may be jinxing things here, but I feel like the past three weeks of this show have really illustrated the show's strengths by stopping trying to layer on a new tragedy every week and instead spending a little time allowing the characters to come to grips with the latest one.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This is going to hurt.......a lot. Crying or Very sad

Looks like Chtholly has made her peace with it already. She's really strong.
And ITHEA!?
She's been sacrificing her own identity and is masking as the former Ithea for the sake of everyone's happiness!?
That's a whole new level of tragic. Anime cry
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, bring on the pain and misery. I'm ready.

Despite these last few episodes being pretty slow paced and all, I've enjoyed them thoroughly. I'm excited for what kind of emotional high this show can give me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Despite this episode could largely be called business as usual, it actually felt like a big jump where who Chtholly is in regards to her memories entered the front of the series, and Ithea acting as an example of yes tragic, but life could go on. Chtholly still considers Ithea her closest friend despite the memory thing, and Chtholly can own who she is right now.

I don't think that I want to know about the winter festival either, the decorations look a little disturbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7