• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legal Scholar Praises Anime Music Videos at Conference

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, he really had some great things to say. It's a form of thinking that we don't see nearly often enough. His bit at the end as he was wrapping up seemed particularly imperatively -- we're turning normal people into criminals and we should be better than that.

Too bad Muppet Hunter D seemed to be lost on the crowd.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
YouTube doesn't seem to agree with this guy.

I hope his message gets out more. The intellectual property/ copyright infringement battles both in and out of court have really gotten out of hand.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
As many negative things as I have to say about AMVs, they are a very good example of how fair use needs to be reinterpreted. Fair use laws should be able to accommodate them.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
YouTube doesn't seem to agree with this guy.

As someone who makes AMVs, I've got to say that YouTube has become more trouble than it's worth. While it gives editors another outlet for their AMVs to be seen by a wider audience, it has also led to a big increase in poorly edited and stolen videos. I've had large chunks of my AMVs taken and put in other people's "work." One person even took an entire video, edited out my credits, and put in new ones with their name! Evil or Very Mad YouTube also has crappy video quality and messes up the sync on some AMVs.

Quote:
I hope his message gets out more. The intellectual property/ copyright infringement battles both in and out of court have really gotten out of hand.

I couldn't agree more.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to finally see the other side of the debate represented on this site.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:

When has anyone on this site argued that anime music videos should fall outside of the fair use laws? I've seen people point out that under the law they are illegal - I've done that myself - but you're suggesting here that "this site" has only "represented" the side that actually thinks AMVs should be prosecuted, and that's never happened here.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
When has anyone on this site argued that anime music videos should fall outside of the fair use laws? I've seen people point out that under the law they are illegal - I've done that myself - but you're suggesting here that "this site" has only "represented" the side that actually thinks AMVs should be prosecuted, and that's never happened here.

My apologies, I should have specified. I meant the issue of copyright in general and the arguments people put forth on this site. Many of them boil down to it being wrong because it's illegal. While these do not directly name AMVs and are targeted primarily at fansubs they do include AMVs as an unintended byproduct because AMVs are without a doubt illegal as far as the current system is concerned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Trunks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Too bad Muppet Hunter D seemed to be lost on the crowd.

From looking at the other example clips he used, my guess is that the presenter wanted to find a short yet amusing clip that would work on his audience and it didn't quite get the same reaction. I'm sure he found it funny to have included it.
TNaran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
On Copyright and innovation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lessig

His work on sane intellectual property protection is really, really important. Especially on the software side of the issue.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well I'm sure it's no surprise that I am generally in agreement with Lessig. I think it's cool he chose to highlight this particular item as an example of what he has been saying for a long time.
Kalium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fallout2man wrote:

Instead, there's a deafening silence on the subject, except for the very occasional bit of coverage of an AMV contest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1