• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are there no English credits on DVD/Blu-ray Releases?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naftali Poritz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that on many home video releases these days, the opening/closing credits are left completely untouched, and that there are no English production credits. While some companies like Sentai Filmworks may have generic english credits after the next episode preview (or closing sequence if there is no episode preview), other companies such as Aniplex, Ponycanyon, or NISA don't have any credits in English at all.

Why are the English voice actors or staff members not credited?

People want to know who the voice cast is, or who were the staff that produced or localized the anime, among other things.

How will people know if the text is in Japanese, and doesn't even list the US localization staff or US voice cast?
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
If Answerman didn't get to this, this is a surprisingly good question.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it depends on company policy.

AnimEigo and Sentai have always been good about giving detailed credits on their releases.

Sad to hear the Japanese companies aren't as big about translating the production crew credits into English!

It says something about corporate mentality but what do you expect?

At least half the older anime releases that were localized before the 1990s don't have credits for the English voice actors, either. A lot of shows are still produced non-union and people do go by aliases to this day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1