• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabukibu! (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
So Akutsu has some serious mommy issues...and you are not supposed to learn how to act as if you're having fun but to actually have fun, Ebihara! Laughing

I'm looking forward to seeing how Kuro plans to make kabuki more accessible without having it lose its soul.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
His mom was pretty funny, with her radical tone shifts between talking to him and talking to his friends. Laughing

They seem to be running into the same problems highlighted in Rakugo regarding updating traditional forms to keep them relevant without losing what makes them unique. The resolution of that dilemma is probably what's going to be the draw to get Ebihara on board with the club.

I was curious about the rust (or persimmon), green and black of the curtains in rakugo and kabuki (but apparently not Noh, which doesn't seem to use curtains because of the centralized stage...I think). It seems that the colors are most associated with kabuki rather than rakugo, and the order of the colors (black, green, rust, or the more contemporary black, rust, green, called morita-za) is significant, although I haven't yet discovered exactly what that significance is. Very Happy

Anyway, here are a couple of articles that might be of interest: this one, specifically about the jyoshiki maku (the term for the curtain) and other curtain symbolism, is frustratingly sparse. This one is more about the plays.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Anyway, here are a couple of articles that might be of interest: this one, specifically about the jyoshiki maku (the term for the curtain) and other curtain symbolism, is frustratingly sparse. This one is more about the plays.

That was very insightful, thanks for sharing! Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Heh, Tonbo has some mad skillz. Goemon indeed. I really hope he gets a focus episode before this is over.

The meeting with Akutsu was hilarious in how they approached him after breaking and entering (and his grandmother is a hoot - she's obviously used to dealing with his histrionics). But more than that, I really liked how real the whole thing felt, like that's how people act, right down to him listening at the door to hear what Maruko was saying after she was done talking to him, and to be sure she really left.

I'm not sure I'm buying that Kiriko was really playing the role Kaoru described, but I guess she's a good enough actor to not flub her lines when being let off the hook for being a jerk.

This really is turning out to be so much better than I was expecting it to be. Too bad it didn't get weekly reviews.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
So everybody and their (or rather his) grandpa wants Ebihara to join the kabuki group but the stubborn boy just keeps resisting...come on already, there aren't that many episodes left~!

I liked that Akutsu's stepdad isn't your stereotypical anime foreigner but someone who speaks decent Japanese and is knowledgeable about the culture.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, that was an interesting way of modernising the play and it turned out to be pretty successful. Even Ebihara seemed to be (grudgingly) impressed at the end. And Kuro sure knows how to handle Akutsu! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
That turned out to be a fun episode. I wish they hadn't superimposed Kuro's face during his narration about the Ebihara/Akutsu face-off. There were some pretty neat expressions going on there, and trying to sort those out while reading two sets of subtitles jumping around was just overwhelming.

But that was quite a backstory. I wonder how much longer it will take Ebihara to join the club now, and how much arm-twisting his grampa will have to apply.

Anyone know what Akutsu's Japanese malapropisms were? The English ones at the end were easy enough to hear.

I just can't shake the feeling that Tonbo is going to explode soon (though there might not be enough episodes left for that now). The way the camera lingers on his face at times, like he's keeping a lid on whatever is on his mind - it might just be to save frames, but if so, it's leaving the wrong impression.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wonder how much longer it will take Ebihara to join the club now, and how much arm-twisting his grampa will have to apply.

Considering that there are only 2 episodes left, i'm hoping this week or else we'll probably never actually get to see them perform together...

Quote:
I just can't shake the feeling that Tonbo is going to explode soon (though there might not be enough episodes left for that now). The way the camera lingers on his face at times, like he's keeping a lid on whatever is on his mind - it might just be to save frames, but if so, it's leaving the wrong impression.

Really? I didn't get that impression at all. And what reason would he have to "explode"? We've already seen his backstory, he should be reasonably happy now (though it's hard to tell from his "expressions"...). And the super-popular Kaoru-senpai seems to have a crush on him! He's a lucky man! Wink
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Anyone know what Akutsu's Japanese malapropisms were? The English ones at the end were easy enough to hear.
In the first one he says シーユー (CU?) instead of ツーカー, which is a contraction of ツーカーの仲 (BTW the etymology given on that page is disputed; I kinda like the second one more: 'As soon as one says "Y'know..." the other says "Right?"' Very Happy ). In the other one he mispronounces the first part of 阿吽の呼吸 as "yaun" (or maybe "nyaun", I couldn't hear very clearly).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2