• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

And with this episode it finally landed what it started out to do and pretty much spent this entire season setting up. This season was kind of having a problem to me as it felt like it had lost of focus of what its main plot should have been, which was eschewing all the focus on character moulds and tropes, which make up the majority of the cast. That Megumi was really a normal human being who won't just fit into the pre-conceived expectations of the medium, that it could be a problem with think how real people can act, and thus sabotaging themselves.

This was right back to the meta part of the series where he says that a good story was made but it distracted from the original vision. And Megumi ripped into him about the losing focus that real people have real emotions, act differently when relationships change, that they can get frustrated over not actually getting their feelings taken into consideration, right as she is saying this while frustrated over her feelings not being taken into consideration. She even criticises the title of the project, which happens to be the name of this anime, because it shows a lack of actually understanding how the character it is about actually feels, which I always felt was the exact point of the title. It is supposed to be a criticism on the person who would actually think to use such a title, calling Megumi boring when there is much more to her personality then trying to put a label like tsundere on.

This season had not necessarily been bad, but it had kind of fallen into the traps that made it just a part of the pack, and if this episode had anything to say about that, it may have actually been intentional. How else do you supply a criticism of what is considered the norm, than actually try to earnestly deliver such a story. And, I am left wondering where it will go from here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11 (finale)

To be honest, allowing that kiss was a bit of having your cake and eating it too, although Utaha's comments accompanying it were pretty something. Which I might also say about seeing Megumi cry from Eriri. The date was not bad, and it ended on a good note with Megumi apparently finding Tomoya's glasses as funny, and the meta commentary with Michiru and screen time.

To be frank, this season is a bit down from the first season, perhaps due to the less surprising nature, maybe that it felt like it was telling a good story at bits, but not the good type that it was setting itself up to do. Towards its end it did manage to get to something it started with, and mostly stuck to its guns for the finale. I give a rating Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. Indeed I think some of the problems is people kind of misinterpreting things that they can end up thinking that they could not forgive some of the characters, because it was not following normal conventions, but had kind of started to do so in the run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4