• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Clockwork Planet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
EP 9 review: Your missing the whole narrative of the episode, Marie thought he was pissing about while the countdown was ticking like you did but realised at the end he was still focused and spending the shopping trip devising a strategy and doing recon of the government tower they would need to attack. He was being calm and reflected rather than her Gung-ho we must attack immediately attitude, he's waiting for Anchor to recharge to full combat strength and RyuZU to cool down.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
That's such a backhanded explanation though, at the end of an incredibly boring to watch episode. Naoto constantly preening around declaring Anchor his daughter, and ryuzu his wife, is insufferable enough to watch., and now we have to watch Marie - the better and smarter character - fall into the anime trap of fawning over the idiot who throws himself head first into problems, instead of making a coherent plan.

And also, if Naoto's big plan was the surveil the area, why not just tell Marie in the first place, instead of making her (and us) sit through Barbie's dress-up Part 2.

I've said from the beginning this show should have been about Marie and her robot buddy Halter, and Naoto should have been left on the cutting room floor.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Thinking of AnchoR as "the unbearably moe maid girl" completely misses her actual character(which is somewhat important to the plot of the episode). Unlike RyuZU, she's not a servant; she's that "unbearably moe" child. Naota's more than glad to take the father role she gives him and dotes on her like crazy, but Marie rejects the mother role and treats AnchoR as just a weapon. The argument Naota and Marie get into after he realizes AnchoR's saying what Marie wants her to say could happen in just about any home.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
To me the sentence that I thought I'd never have to write was "Father, I think you're cute, too." What Shocked

After looking through the review again, I noticed in the thumbnail that Konrad is still wearing his monocle with his professional skater uniform! What are you going for with that? I think even most hipsters would think that a bit much.

All of that is just icing on the cake of an episode best described "'The weapon of mass destruction will be recharged in a matter of hours. What can we do to stop it?' 'Shopping!'"

I mean what am I expecting at this point when much of my reaction to the show is "What?! Why?!" and the show's response is "I don't know. Fudge it".
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I mean what am I expecting at this point when much of my reaction to the show is "What?! Why?!" and the show's response is "I don't know. Fudge it".

Wanting to do cute things while being cute with your daugtheru is very important.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
i loved this show for about the first 3 or 4 episodes but then at some point after that the story seemed to take a dive and it started to feel like a chore to watch, i had to drop it.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
James your understanding is coming close but not quite.
She understands how things work and has the ability to take blueprints from different things to suit her needs. He understands the music that is the different instruments (gears) and the flaws in the performance (things not functioning correctly) but doesn't understand what the music means (what the technology does) he's still the same boy at the start who couldn't fix all those clocks he was collecting because he doesn't understand how a clock is built.

So she understands the function but not the form and he understands the form but not the function.

The old geezer was planning a coup but after meeting the kid he realised while he could excuse living in a nonsensical universe if it was built by a God or a Devil, if it was built according to the whim of a mortal, one man, he could not. So he changed his goal to destroying the world rather than suffering in it.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Now that this trainwreck of both an adaptatio and an anime is finally over, it's time for me to soon go back to reading the Light Novel, where everything probably makes sense.

Even from just Volume 1, the LN was very solid in its presentation, execution, development, characters, etc. The anime says "fudge everything" and throws outta the window all that made the story good and fun.

I feel bad for Yuu Kamiya, the author of the LN.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Thank God it's over. There were so many ass-pull details in that final episode. It was like a microcosm of everything it had done wrong in the prior dozen episodes.
Neji_Hyuga_II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 am Reply with quote
Alright, I know this is an old thread but let me just say this. Having read all of the LNs for the Clockwork Planet series (I ten billion percent recommend it to everyone; it's seriously good), I'm going to give a blunt LN-to-anime comparison in terms of pages adapted per episode.

I shall not explain what the anime adapts; this is purely a count of adapted pages.
Get ready, this will be a doozy.

To get this started, I will give a page count for each volume.

The anime covers Volumes 1-3 with each volume having 315 pages, 287 pages, and 398 pages, respectively (this count is based off of the Seven Seas Entertaiment-distributed physical copy [page count excludes afterwords of the authors and illustrators]).

Episode 1 adapts Volume 1, Pages 17-160.
Episode 2 adapts Volume 1, Pages 160-173.
Episode 3 adapts Volume 1, Pages 173-248.
Episode 4 adapts Volume 1, Pages 248-295.
Episode 5 adapts Volume 2, Pages 15-121.
Episode 6 adapts Volume 2, Pages 121-206.
Episode 7 adapts Volume 2, Pages 207-269.
Episode 8 adapts Volume 2, Pages 271-287; Volume 3, Pages 11-59.
Episode 9 adapts Volume 3, Pages 60-138.
Episode 10 adapts Volume 3, Pages 147-242.
Episode 11 adapts Volume 3, Pages 243-322.
Episode 12 adapts Volume 3, Pages 318-352 and Pages 377-398.

And there you have it, a comprehensive page count for what each episode covers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3