• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2017 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Fate Series is selling better than Star Wars and SAO??? Now that's some very interesting news xD
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Re:Zero more popular? I want to get season 2 so bad Anime cry
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I get a thrill out of My Hero Academia beating out Sword Art Online.

And "The Seven Deadly Sins." It's a shame that "Blue Exorcist" ranked lower than them though.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Seeing the My Hero Academia series doing so well puts a big smile on my face. I am really happy for Horikoshi, the man really deserve his hit. He created one of the best Shonen series afte all.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
A few weeks ago I had an argument with someone about how Love Live was a bigger franchise than Yuri on Ice in spite of YOI's bigger home media sales, and now I'm seeing YOI not only top the entirety of Love Live as a franchise but even scrape the heels of bloody One Piece, I'm in actual tears. I'm sure LL would be higher if games were counted, but still it's such an unexpectedly huge accomplishment, and just with home media and three CDs to account for

Also surprised to see High & Low so... high (pun unintended) I didn't know it was that popular, I wonder if they'll make an anime out of it given all the money they're making.

YOI has only beaten Love Live for a 6 month period not the entirety of it.

Here's Love live for last year animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2016/.110442 and for 2015 animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2015/.97051

Lets see how it does for the full year and for 2018 before you say it beats Love Live.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Excluding ticket sales means that the $75 million, or 7.5 billion yen, earned by Anno's Shin Godzilla in Japan isn't counted in the 2.1 billion yen figure for the "Godzilla Series" in that table.

It's rather weird to consider a movie "franchise" when the movie's own box-office receipts aren't counted.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Excluding ticket sales means that the $75 million, or 7.5 billion yen, earned by Anno's Shin Godzilla in Japan isn't counted in the 2.1 billion yen figure for the "Godzilla Series" in that table.

It's rather weird to consider a movie "franchise" when the movie's own box-office receipts aren't counted.

Shin Godzilla opened on July 29, 2016. About 8.11 billion yen of its 8.25 billion yen box office total was earned in 2016.

This is a ranking for the first half of 2017. Even if theater ticket sales counted, they wouldn't be included here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-18/top-20-highest-grossing-films-in-japan-has-6-anime-films/.110076
http://www.kogyotsushin.com/archives/alltime/
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

YOI has only beaten Love Live for a 6 month period not the entirety of it.

Here's Love live for last year animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2016/.110442 and for 2015 animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2015/.97051

Lets see how it does for the full year and for 2018 before you say it beats Love Live.

No, bro, it doesn't work like that. It already beat Love Live. Even if it doesn't repeat the feat for the yearly (and I am aware it's not very likely since it won't have a lot of media to add to the count, just the instrumental OST and the Stage event BD whilst LL will have concerts, a new anime, probably a buttload more CDs etc.) it doesn't invalidate its ridiculously high position on this ranking, especially considering it has so little media to count (6DVD, 6 BD and one CD released in the accounted period), compared to other franchises that have the whole enchilada. The constant goal-post shifting on this is getting quite old
Anis Ayemen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Quote:
It includes the raw yen totals of Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels in print, and manga in print, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales.

We all know who would have been at the top if they did count film tickets.

Yeh.......détective Conan will be at the top. ...
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This day has finally arrived, Idolmaster outranking Love Live is on spotlight the fight is still ongoing and I'm neither rooting for both sides, because both are great!

But holy broccomolly for YOI. YOI is created by Sayo & M. Kubo with no original franchise content or whatever. No manga, novel, games, character songs, only 6 BD/DVD's and 1 CD, the numbers it cultivated is un imaginable, it's not even everything, the On Ice Stage event DVD(Chihoko incident that became a trend) is not yet even released until next month and it already reached this feat.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The constant goal-post shifting on this is getting quite old

I'm not sure why you have such a heated personal investment in YoI, but that's not shifting the goalpost, it's pointing out the flaws of using this list. If you wanted to say YoI sold more home video disks than the other franchises, that's fine, but ommiting revenue from areas other franchises focus in more than home video sales while doing so is extremely dishonest. Unless you also want to claim YoI brought in more money than Pocket Monsters as well.

-Stuart Smith
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
^It is goal-post shifting because the last time I had this argument, the other user claimed YOI only sold more than LL because I was only counting the BD/DVD (because the list given only counted BD/DVD) and that LL would win in the franchise lists because it dominated CD and concerts (which at the time I actually agreed on because it made more sense).

Now that the franchise lists have come out not only did YOI also dominate on CD too (so it's outselling LL on the only two accountable mediums it has) but it outsold LL overall as a franchise and now the argument is being changed to "but LL will have more at the yearly" (and with that I too agree so I don't get what's your damage?).

Quote:
If you wanted to say YoI sold more home video disks than the other franchises, that's fine, but ommiting revenue from areas other franchises focus in more than home video sales while doing so is extremely dishonest.

I mean if you can bring me veritable numbers on game, movie tickets and merchandise so a comparison can be made, be my guest. I'm sure LL would have more revenue purely from concert tickets, games and figures. But we don't have those. The data in these lists has always had its caveats and has always been limited, but I've never seen anyone discrediting their validity -not even in this same thread- except to invalidate YOI's explosive success. Why is it OK to say "HeroAca did more money than SAO" or "Fate is selling more than Star Wars", but saying "YOI outsold Love Live against all expectations" is "extremely dishonest".

Using the only available data to make general statements in regards to that data? Oh no, that's preposterous!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
It would have made history if YOI beat OP for at least the first 1/2 of this year.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It would have made history if YOI beat OP for at least the first 1/2 of this year.

OP merchandising alone dwarfs this list. Last time Bandai released revenues for their franchise One Piece made over 10 billion yen in merchandising alone, over three times what it made on this list only looking at DVD and manga sales. Konami makes billions off Yu-Gi-Oh but its not anywhere on this list. Nobody should be using this list as a gauge of profitability or popularity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2