• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blak3 Nikos - reviews (spoiler warning)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted June 13, 2017

You know what Gals and Guys? It has been a looooong time since I have reviewed a MadHouse anime. An after last Tuesday's review, I'm going to need to review something that's at least good. Hopefully today's review will be that one. With that said let's move on to MadHouse Anime Review 16#: Overlord.

"In the year 2126, a Dive Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game or DMMORPG called Yggdrasil was released. It stands out among all other DMMORPG's due to its unusually high ability for the player to interact with the game. After an intense 12-year run the game servers are about to be shut down. Within the game exist a guild, Ainz Ooal Gown, once consisting of 41 members and credited as one of the strongest guilds in the game. Now only 4 of the members remain, the other 37 having quit the game. Of those 4 only one actually continues to play; His name is Momonga and he remains the guild leader, maintaining their headquarters, The Great Tomb of Nazarick. He invites the remaining guild members but of those only one appears and only for a short while before leaving. While saddened by this, he accepts the reality that his friends had their real lives to take care of. And so, he stays in the guild alone until the servers shut down.

Then, he realizes that the game does shut down and he cannot seem to use the normal player function, such as General Message, or even quit. Then when the NPC's of Ainz Ooal Gown start talking to him he decides to take things seriously and find out if anyone from 'the real world' is also in this new world with him. Taking on the name of Ainz Ooal Gown, a message to any other players, he begins exploring the world. He tries to figure out what has happened while trying to find anyone, or anything, that could help him solve this mystery." (Info by wiki)

Aside from this show being weird why am I not surprise that this show turn out to be pretty good? The answer is mostly because it has a good director and writer and that it's a MadHouse anime.

Now I'm not saying that MadHouse is the number 1 company that only pumps out great anime content. Because there will be times when they'll release a really bad one, take DNA^2 for a prime example. But most of the time (include this one) they'll release some anime's that are either good or excellent. An I can't help but to applaud them for doing that. What can I say, I have a lot of respect for this company.

Some of the positive things I can say about this show would have to be the storyline (It's getting pretty good so far), the characters (some of them are alright, some not so much), the artwork (was pretty well drawn), and the action scenes (They were good except for that one battle between episode 12 and 13, that one was way better than the other actions scenes in this season.)

My favorite character on this show would have to be Momonga aka Ainz Ooal Gown. He's a powerful, smart, kind (sometimes), strategical guy who will do everything in his power to achieve his goal. An I hope he does.

Now even though this show sounds pretty cool it has 2 downsides that I hope season 2 will fix.

1. This show had a cliché that wasn't really all that impressive nor all that likable which would be "a character who really gets a sick kick out of killing others" cliché. An the character that had this cliché was Clementine. Even though she's a bloodthirsty assassin, the way she portrays it is kind of annoying and just reminds me of some anime female killers who have acted the same way. Hopefully this is the one and only cliché I'll ever see from this show.

2. Even though I liked that specific battle that happen between 12 and 13, that doesn't mean all of the battle scenes in this season were great. Like I said before they were good and no offense, but I feel like (no pun intended) good isn't good enough. Hopefully season 2's action scenes will way better than the previous action scenes I saw in season 1 (excluding 12 and 13 of course.)

In conclusion Overlord season 1 was pretty good. It has a good storyline so far, some alright characters, well drawn artwork, and some good and 1 great action scenes. Hopefully season 2 will up the ante and reveal the big mystery that's in the world of Yggdrasil. With that said I'm giving this season a 7.9/10.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted May 16, 2017

Today's review Ladies and Gentlemen is going to be another Gonzo Anime review. An the reason why is because the last review I did didn't real satisfy nor intrigued me. So I decided to go find another Gonzo Anime that was actually enjoyable or at least good enough to watch. An low and behold I have finally found it. So let's not waste anytime and get on to my 9th Gonzo Anime Review: Hellsing.

"Hellsing follows the antiheroic vampire, Alucard, and a police girl-turned-vampire, Seras Victoria, two vampires employed by the vampire-extermination group of England, the Hellsing Organization. Slowly but surely, through their active duty, they find a new breed of vampires beginning to arise. " (info by Anime News Network)

If your looking for anime that closely portrays vampires the right way and not shown as cutesy, excessive fanservice, the "you don't understand me" cliché or anything that might make them look cringy or annoying. Then this is the show you most defiantly need to check out (that and Ultimate).

Hellsing is no doubt a pretty good show. It's storyline is alright, some of the characters were pretty interesting to watch, the animation looked pretty good, and the music was pretty enjoyable to listen, especially the main theme song (it's pretty addicting to listen to and it fits perfectly for this show.)

There are 2 characters in this show that I like very much and those 2 are Alucard and Seras Victoria. The reason why I like Alucard is mostly because of how much of cool guy he is. He's calm in a battle, he gets excited whenever he goes up against strong opponents, he respects and cares for Integra (his boss), and his attire and guns look pretty cool.

(Spoilers ahead)

Now I understand not a lot of people like the 2001 version of Seras, because to some people she seems weak. Well I kind of have to disagree with you. I and some people can see Seras as a person who is struggling/ trying to get use to the lifestyles of a vampire. It's understandable if she sometimes hesitant on doing stuff that she not use to doing, she is new to this after all. She can't just immediately become a badass fighting vampire after being bitten by her master (Alucard). She has to take her time of getting use to the feeling of being an undead immortal creature (and she defiantly does in the show). Plus there are times where she is seen as a strong person who can defend her self, prime examples would be A. that time when she and Walter (Integra's Butler) were trying to take down Jan (one of the primary antagonist of the show and manga) and his ghouls and B. she shoved a medium size bullet inside a random vampire minion's mouth. So In conclusion (not mainly) Seras is an alright character who still has a lot to learn and if I were little more honest I kind of respect her for the way she is.

Now before I go discussing the downsides that this show contains there is something I want get out of the way. I understand that not a lot of people liked Gonzo's version of Hellsing because they showed a different storyline that wasn't apart of the manga series, but kept some stuff that was apart of the manga in there. An there is good explanation to why they did that. You see during the time they were making the anime, the manga series will still ongoing and since Gonzo didn't know which direction the manga storyline was going they decided to create their own version. Which to be fair it isn't that bad. It's not better than the manga's main storyline, but it was good enough to make Hellsing ( the 2001 version) a sort of enjoyable classic anime to watch.

This show actually has 3 downsides that I didn't like/ question. There's one downside I don't want to talk because I don't want to go into depth with it. So instead I'll just talk about the 2 main problems I have with this anime.

1. How is Seras able to survive in the daytime? Walter told her in the beginning of episode 2 not to go out while it's daytime and yet through out some of the episodes she's walking in bright daylight not getting even a single singe or burn on her skin. The show doesn't even explain how this is possible. I guess the reason why she's surviving is because of Alucard. I don't know, this is just me guessing.

2. What is the connection between Seras and that blond vampire guy? In episode 11 Seras has a strange vision of a blonde vampire guy (she doesn't even know who he is and why she's having a vision of him) and in the next episode she encounters him and for some particular reason he knows her name. The show doesn't explain this either.

In conclusion aside from its 3 downsides this anime is still good. The action scenes were pretty good, the storyline was alright, some of the characters were pretty interesting to watch, the animation looked pretty good, and the music was pretty enjoyable to listen. With that being said I'm this show a 7.9/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Bonus note: I have feeling some or one of you are going to say "Oh Blake this show has nothing on Hellsing Ultimate, it's way more interesting and exciting than the 2001 version, plus it follows the manga's main storyline." Don't worry I will defiantly review Ultimate somewhere around this October. For now please wait.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Blak3 Nikos.

I've take the liberty of combining your two review posts from this morning (Oz time) into this review thread. I think it is more appropriate than having individual threads for each review. The precedent for this sort of thread was made by Captain X. Here's a list of them, including my own.

Akane the Catgirl
Captain X
Errinundra
Jose Cruz

Check out the title I've given your thread. Notice how I've put a spoiler warning there. That means you don't have to be as strict with spoiler tags as elsewhere. Thanks to that title, people who come here are pre-warned. If you want me to change the thread title, please PM me or one of the other mods. I suggest you go back to the Beserk review and either remove the spoiler tags or only tag the most spoilerific sections.

You also mentioned that you've written earlier reviews, but these are the only two posts under the name Blak3 Nikos. If you can tell me how to find the other reviews I may be able to move them here also.

Good luck. I hope to see more of your reviews, along with responses from other people (though don't expect many).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted May 19, 2017

I got a question for you the reader. What if I told there's romantic anime where a girl and boy were not only in love, but share a bond by sucking on each other's salvia. An that the studio that made this anime was Hoods Entertainment (Responsible for Aki Sora, Manyū Hiken-chō, BlazBlue Alter Memory, and Drifters). Would you believe that it was real? If you said yes, then congratulations you are correct. By the way the anime that I was talking about was Mysterious Girlfriend X aka today's review.

"The series follows the relationship of Akira Tsubaki and Mikoto Urabe. Urabe is a transfer student who recently came to Tsubaki's school. After a series of strange events, Tsubaki finds himself addicted to Urabe's drool. Once she claims the addiction as love sickness, the relationship slowly progresses, focusing on the odd bond that comes out of the drool attachment." (Info by wiki)

This has to be one of the most weirdest, yet interesting romantic comedy/ school life/ slice of life/ supernatural anime I have ever seen so far. I really enjoyed what this show had to offer.

One of the few things I liked about this show would have to be the relationship between Akira and Mikoto. The best way I can describe their relationship would have to be strange, but at the same time sweet, sort of normal, and intriguing. I also like how they both respect and care for one another as well. An even though they might have some bumps and bruise in their relationship, they eventually work it out in the end.

Now before I move on there's something I wanted to talk about real quick. Remember when I said their relationship with each other was intriguing. Well the reason why I said that was because of a certain kind of bond that they have. An what kind of bond would that be exactly and why is it sort of intriguing? Well 1. it's the fact that they suck on each others salvia and 2 the reason why that is so intriguing is what happens after their done sucking on each other salvia. You see whenever Mikoto or Akira suck on each other's or another person's salvia they can instantly know what the other person is feeling, what they were dreaming about, or if a certain person or both them is in pain or has a scar on their body they too will also share that same pain or scar on their body as well. You know when you think about that's not only intriguing, that's actually kind of fascinating.

An before you say that has to be the number 1 most disgusting thing that has ever happen in anime romance history. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid has already taken that spot. Don't get me wrong I love Dragon Maid, but trying to get someone you love to eat one of your body parts just so that you can be apart of them is way more disgusting than sucking your significant other's salvia.

Aside from that another thing I liked about this show was the storyline (in my honest opinion it was kind of interesting to watch. Although ending was kind of a mix bag. You'll have to watch the last episode in order to understand what I mean.) The characters (they were ok, but there was one character that I really liked the most (I'll take about her later), and the theme song (Even though I listen to it a little bit, I have to say it was kind of alright. I wouldn't say it's one of the best anime theme songs of all time, but it's definitely worth the listen to.)

My favorite character in this show would have to be (no shocker) Mikoto Urabe. She's cute, very athletic, has great reflexes (sometimes), is very skilled when she's using her scissors, and she's not afraid of being her weird self around people (I can defiantly respect that ). She is no doubt one of the best female anime characters in the history of anime itself.

Now before I end this review there is one downside I have to discuss. You see in episode 1 Mikoto (out of nowhere) started to laugh hysterically during class. After class was over Akira asked what she was laughing about, she tells him that a voice in her head was telling her that the 1st person she would have sex with will be Akira. But that's not the downside, the downside is that the anime never explains who the voice in her head was and how it knows about Mikoto's future.

In conclusion aside from that one problem this show was actually pretty interesting to watch. I really enjoyed every moment that this show had to throw at me. The storyline was kind of interesting to watch, The characters were ok (But Mikoto is still my number 1 favorite), the theme song was alright, and the relationship between Mikoto and Akira was both sweet and mostly well shown. With that said I'm giving this show a 8.8/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

By the way I wanna give props to this show for throwing in two Big O (a show that came out in 1999. I also reviewed this show) Easter Eggs in there. You see in the beginning of episode 1 you can see 2 statues that are in Akira's bedroom. One of them is Big O (The giant robot itself) and R. Dorothy Wayneright (One of my favorite character's from the show). I never excepted a show that came out in 2012 to thrown 2 Easter Eggs of a great show that came out in 1999. I guess the creator of this anime was such a big fan of The Big O that he or she decided to throw these 2 in there as a cameo.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted June 1, 2017

Hey there ladies and gentlemen, guess what time it is? It's time to do another revamp version of a review I did in the past because that previous one was garbage.

"Yukiteru (Yuki) Amano is a loner who never really interacts with people and prefers writing a diary on his cell phone, with his only companion being an imaginary friend named Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space. However, Yuki soon learns that Deus is not a figment of his imagination but real when Deus makes him a participant in a battle royale with eleven others. Within this "Diary Game", the contestants are given special diaries that can predict the future, with each diary having unique features that gives it both advantages and disadvantages. " (Info by Anime News Network)

Mirai Nikki is not only one of the most interesting and notable 2010's anime, but it's also one of the few anime's that has debuted after it's manga series has ended. It's pretty rare to see those types of anime's because majority of the time anime's would usually debut during the time their manga series is still going. Thus the creator of that anime series will have to make up some parts that isn't canon in the manga series. Thank goodness the company that owns the anime series decided to wait for the manga series to be over.

One of things I liked about this show would have to be the future diaries. Having a diary that tells you what will happen to you in the future does sound very hand and useful. And you can choose if you want to follow what the diary says or not. But if by chance you don't follow what the diary says, your actions will still have some consequences. It could either be good or bad.

The second thing I liked about this show would have to be the after credits. Some of them are just unnecessary fillers, while others have something to do with the storyline (So you might want to keep an eye on all them, you may never what you may come across.)

The last few things that I liked would have to be the storyline (which was very interesting to watch), the characters (some of them were ok, while others were alright (especially Yuki. Even though he was a mix bag in the beginning he later on started to grow on me later on in the show.), the action scenes (were very exciting and enjoyable to look at), and the twist (Yes this show has some twist in it and they were very interesting).

(Some spoilers ahead, not to much though)

Before I talk about who my favorite character is I wanna give this anime some props for actually showing a sex scene and 2 guys kissing on screen. I have never seen or heard of a TV-MA anime that has actually show these type of things before, but even if there were other anime's that actually shown these type of things before or after Mirai Nikki appeared it would be pretty rare to see those types. An the reason for that is probably because not ever anime director or writer has the balls to actually do something's that has never been done before in an anime. An if there was a person that has the balls to do something differently, you can't help, but to give that person some props.

My favorite character in this show would have to be (No shocker) Yuno Gasai. She's a very smart and remorseless killer who will doing anything to be by her beloved Yuki side. Even if that means killing those close to her. Though while I do find that side of her interesting I also feel sorry for her. I can't say why because I'm trying to do my best to spoil less in what happens in this anime as I possibly can. So to those who haven't seen this show your just going to have to find out yourself why I and probably you 2 feel sorry for Yuno.

And just when you thought that this show was absolutely perfect, there are actually 2 major flaws that this show has. Number 1. doesn't spoil (much), but number 2. is a pretty big spoiler, so I'm not going to say what it is. The only hint I can give is that it has something to do with the Eleventh holder.

1. The beginning of episode 1 sort of ruin the twist in the end. (It's still interesting, but it's not jaw dropping or shocking.) If they got rid of that part then this problem wouldn't exist.

In conclusion Mirai Nikki (aside from it's 2 flaws) is no doubt and still and interesting and notable anime. It's storyline was interesting, the action scenes were enjoyable and exciting to watch, the characters were both ok and alright, and some of the twists including the one in the end one were still very interesting. With that said I'm giving Mirai Nikki a 9/10. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Bonus note:
By the way did you know that the Diary holders were named after the 12 Olympians of Roman and Greek Mythology. Kind of interesting when you think about it.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Blak3 Nikos wrote:
Although ending was kind of a mix bag. You'll have to watch the last episode in order to understand what I mean.

Would you mind elaborating, without any major spoilers please?
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say it has something to do with the main character's sister. I don't hate her by the way. That's all I'm going to say.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 25, 2017

Life lesson number 156. If you ever spot a girl living underneath a bridge, just slowly walk away from that area. Cause there's chance she's crazy, might fall in love with you, and get you to hang out with her not so normal buddies. Now if you were in an anime, by all means say yes. But there could be a chance that the adventure that you and her have might be great or just make you say "Why did I say yes to her?"

Anyway today's review is going to be a interesting one. Why you may ask. Because today I'm going to be reviewing a show called Arakawa Under The Bridge.

"Set in Arakawa, Tokyo, the series tells the story of Kou Ichinomiya, a man who has accomplished everything by himself. Ever since he was little, his father has taught him one rule: to never be indebted to another person. One day by accident, he falls into the Arakawa River and almost drowns. A girl by the name of Nino rescues him and, in return, he owes her his life. Unable to accept the fact that he is indebted to her, he asks her about a way for him to repay her. In the end, she tells him to love her, beginning Kou's life of living under a bridge. However, as Kou starts to learn, Arakawa is a place full of weirdos and all of the people living under the bridge are what society would call "denpasan"." (Info by wiki)

For an underrated anime it was very fun and interesting to watch, yet at the same time bizarre. I wouldn't say it's at the same level as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I would say it's kind of or sort of near it's level of bizarreness.

One of the few things I like about this show is how each scene is structured into small or normal size chapters. It's like this show is trying to make sure it's fully accurate to it's original adaption. An if that's true I sort have to give it some props for doing that. It's kind of rare seeing an anime that's actually fully accurate with it's original source.

Another thing that I liked would have to be the fact that this show does a great job at showing the people who live underneath the bridge as an example of Denpa ( "is a Japanese term for individuals who are disconnected or dissociated from the people around them. They may entertain wild fantasies and persecutory delusions or other strong beliefs, and their speech or actions may seem strange or incoherent to outside observers." (Info by wiki) ), but instead of showing it as a sad way, it's shown as a entertaining way.

The last things would have to be it's storyline (Season 1's storyline was alright, but as for Season 2. It was entertaining, but it's main storyline just went off the rails (it was good at first, but then the show just decided to stop talking about it and decided to show something differently instead.) So in the end season 2 was kind of a mix bag.) The character's (were very diverse, but at the same time enjoyable to watch) and the comedy (It was alright).

Before I end this review there are three downsides I want to point out.

1. The subtitles in this show go by so quick that you would have to A. Read the subtitles as fast as you can or B. Pause at every moment their talking. (This happens in some episodes)

2. Who was that mysterious man in the last episode of season 1? Why did he help the people under the bridge? And why is he so interested in Nino? The show never explains. Maybe the manga has the answer to those questions. Who knows.

3. The last episode of season 2 Evangalion it. What I mean by that is instead of giving the viewers a proper ending, it gives us a stupid one. Also it doesn't explain what happen to their voyage to Venus. It just (on purpose) completely forgets about it.

In conclusion despite Season 2's main storyline going off the rails and the 3 flaws I pointed out. I still love this show. It's both bizarre, interesting, and fun at the same time. I definitely don't regret watching this. An who knows I just might watch it again. So with that said I'm giving this show an 8/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Originally posted April 25, 2017

Guys I think I just found the number 1 best War Anime of all time. An what's even shocking and surprising is that I'm actually impressed by the main character. "And why in the world is that surprising" you may ask. Well that main character...... is a freakin loli.

"An atheist Japanese salaryman, in the moment of being murdered, is confronted by a self-righteous entity he refers to as "Being X" who condemns the man for not believing that "Being X" is God and sentences him to be reborn in a world that is similar to WWI Europe mixed with early aspects of World War II and magic, in an empire torn apart by countless wars with all nearby countries. The salaryman is reborn as a girl, Tanya Degurechaff. According to "Being X", if she's not able to die a natural death, or she refuses to have faith in Him, her soul will leave the circle and be sent to hell for the countless sins that Tanya has committed in her previous life. In search for an escape, Tanya decides to enter into the Empire's Mages Division and fight in the world war, hoping to reach a high enough rank as fast as possible to remain far from the battlefield and in this way avoid the risk of being killed. Even if she's now forced to speak with a young girl's lisp, Tanya soon turns into a ruthless soldier who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, even the lives of those beneath her, especially those that get on her bad side." (Info by wiki)

I cannot believe the day has actually arrived when I'm freakin impressed by a loli character. If you have read or followed any of my past reviews (There on G+) you would know that I'm not a huge fan of loli characters and that it would be rare if I actually like them. The last loli character I actually liked was Shiro from No Game No Life. But here's the thing, Tanya has done the one thing that no loli character (Including Shiro) has ever done. Which was again impressed me. (Spoilers ahead)

Cold, ruthless, sick, unforgiven; while at the same time smart, logical, and strategic. These are the best words I can describe how Tanya is. 2 big prime examples of showing how intriguing this character can be would be 1. Instead of wasting her bullets she rams the tip of her gun (which holds a spear) right into an enemy's stomach, while showing no emotion like a heartless robot. An just for good measure, she takes the gun that the enemy's daughter gave to him as a Christmas present and keeps it as a souvenir (or use it the next time she's going to war).

2. Would be the time she and one of her troops shot a bunch of townspeople, including the children. And why you may ask. Well there are 2 reasons to why they did this. 1. Because they decided to play soldier by shooting one of Tanya's men and just in case she has proof that they actually did that, she got one of her troop's to recorded the whole thing. 2. Was that she didn't want to risk any future enemy to come after her or her troops. The only thing I have to say about that is in the words of DJ Khaled. "You are smart." So yeah aside from her believing in Social Darwinism (The one thing I don't like from her), she's actually an amazing character. One could probably say she's a badass character.

Another thing I like from this show was the storyline (which was pretty interesting to watch). The artwork (was very well made). And the action scene (which was very enjoyable to watch).

The following line is for the people who believe in this religion. Please no negative or inappropriate comments about it or I will delete them (You have been warned.)

There is something I have to mention. If you happen to be a Christian who's into anime I will say this. Some of you may not like this show. And the reason why I say this is because God aka Being X is portrayed as a jerk. Instead of letting the main character die normally, he decides to reincarnate the main protagonist into a world where he is a little girl, joins the military, and make things difficult for her when she's going to war. An the only way she can use her full power is by having faith in Being X and count on his power. And if she doesn't she's screwed and if she dies she gets a one way ticket to Hell. And Being X did all this because the main character doesn't believe in him and was only doing he's original job before X turn him into a little girl. Even though he might of been a cold jerk before (and still is in his new body), he was still doing he's job as a salaryman. Plus if he was going to reincarnate him why a little girl instead of a little boy. No offense, but what the heck Being X.

In conclusion aside from it's 2 particular problems this show and it's main protagonist are defiantly worth the watch. If it ever came out on Blu-Ray or DVD I would most certainly grab a copy of it. An I really hope this gets renewed for a 2nd season, cause it looks like Tanya's story is not over just yet. I highly recommend you go and check this anime out, whether on Crunchyroll or FUNimation. With that said I'm giving this show a 9.8/10. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Bonus Note: The team that made this anime is called Studio NUT (I know I know insert inappropriate joke here or in the comments.) Their most notable credit was that they help make the One Punch Man OVA: Road To Hero. An the person who owns this company is the producer of Death Parade himself (Takuya Tsunoki). There are other notable people who work with this studio as well and if you want to find out who they are and who they use to work for please click here: https://animecredits.wordpress.com/category/studio-nut/

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Originally posted June 21, 2017

Warning! Warning! If your a special snowflake or an person who cares about social justice that's super sensitive towards Black Comedy or if you don't know what a joke means. Then I highly recommend you don't watch the English dub version of this show. With that warning out of the way on to the review.

Today Ladies and Gents I'm going to be reviewing one of the most weirdest anime English Dubs that has ever been released in the 2000's. And before you say FLCL, the answer is no. The anime that I'm actually referring to is Ghost Stories.

"When nearby construction disturbs a spiritual resting place, it’s disgruntled denizens so what any supernatural being would do after a rude awaking - they terrorize the local school. And that means it’s up to a scruffy band of young ghost hunters to expel their satanic schoolmates before everyone gets sent to permanent detention! Meet Satsuki, her crybaby brother, the resident class stud, the school nerd and “psychical researcher,” a born again beauty, and a resentful, demon-possessed cat in the funniest, scariest school you’ve ever enrolled in. " (Info by Crunchyroll)

Before I continue my review I have a little bit of announcement to make. Starting this week and next week I'm going to be reviewing both the English Dub and Sub versions of Ghost Stories. The reason why is because 1. Both versions are different and 2. I want to give my intake on both of them. Anyways let's get back to the review.

Ghost Stories in my honest opinion was meh. There wasn't a lot that interested me except for these 3 things.

The first would have to be the comedy. Half of the comedy in this version was alright. It was both weird, interesting, and pretty funny. I enjoyed listening to them.

And in case you ask why the English Voice Actors treated this anime like an abridged series instead of them just saying the actual words that was supposed to be said in the show there is an answer to that. You see according to Did You Know Anime (A YouTube channel that talks about facts about every anime that is known to man.) the original version didn't receive very well with Japanese audiences. So the licensors of Ghost Stories told ADV Films (It's a company that handles English dubbing) that they can do whatever they want with the script as long as they didn't change the names of the characters and ghosts and as long as they followed the storyline and the plot.

And because of that the Dub version was actually received pretty well from some American audiences and critics.

The other things that I liked from this show would have to be the storyline (It was ok) and the ending theme (Which is very catchy and addicting to listen to. I recommend you listen to the full version of the song on YouTube, trust me you won't regret it.)

This show only has 2 downsides.

1. The Sony product plugging. If you've seen my past reviews you know that I absolutely despise seeing product plugging in anything I watch.

2. Remember when I said half of the comedy was alright? Well the other half wasn't all that good. I wasn't offended by any of it. I just found half of it either boring, stupid, or not even that funny.

In conclusion this show is still meh. Some of the comedy was alright, the storyline was ok, and the ending theme is very catchy and addicting to listen to. As for the VA's? They did alright with voicing the characters in this anime. If your looking for an anime to trigger your funny bone a bit, then I kind of recommend you give this one a try. With that said I'm giving this anime a 6.7/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Bonus Note: I feel like thanks to this version other people on YouTube would get an idea of doing anime abridges of their own. Who knows?

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Unforturnately, I've had to delete your post, Blak3 Nikos.

Please check out the rules about self-promotion and the link to the discussion thread. I particularly recommend Dessa's post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
So your saying I can't send a link to a review I just did today?

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, Blak3. You can't use ANN to promote your Youtube account.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Very well
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted April 19, 2017

Well here's something that's never been done before in a fantasy anime. A hikikomori being transported to another world while going through some crazy adventures. But the big question is; is it as fascinating as it sounds? Well let's find out.

"Subaru Natsuki is an ordinary high school student who is lost in an alternate world, where he is rescued by a beautiful, silver-haired girl. He stays near her to return the favor, but the destiny she is burdened with is more than Subaru can imagine. Enemies attack one by one, and both of them are killed. He then finds out he has the power to rewind death, back to the time he first came to this world. But only he remembers what has happened since. " (Info by Anime News Network)

Going back to my original question, the answer to that is not exactly. The show in my honest opinion was just meh. This is the first White Fox anime that I have watched that was actually just a mixed bag. 2 that I have seen that were actually pretty cool (Jormungand and Steins;Gate) and 1 that was just plain awful (Akame Ga Kill). Allow me to elaborate the positives and negatives that I have with this show. (Spoilers ahead)

Positives:

The characters were okay, the artwork looked great, episode 15 was pretty entertaining to watch (Even though at the same time I couldn't take it seriously), the fight scene that Subaru, Rem, Crusch's, and Anastasia's armies had with the White Whale was alright, and the way the anime showed time travel was ok.

Negatives:

1. Who summon Subaru to this world?

2. Why did the Jealous Witch give him the ability to travel back in time every time he dies? The anime doesn't explain this.

3. In episode 17 there was this huge White Whale that attack Subaru, Rem, and the rest of the merchants. During the time it was attacking them it blew a white fog all around them, so that way everytime it kills a victim, the person that knew the victim would have their memories erased. But for some particular reason Subaru is not effected by this. How?

4. In episode 20 we get to see some parts of Wilhelm's past during the time when he and his wife were young. An it has nothing to do with the White Whale that him, Subaru, Rem and the rest of the troops are currently fighting.

5. In episode 25 Subaru attack's Betelgeuse by activating a spirit that Julius (Anastasia's Main Knight) gave him. My question is how does he know how to use? Julius never taught him how to use it.

In conclusion like I said, this show is mostly just a mixed bag. I feel like this show could've been good if it didn't have any of the downsides I just listed. Would I still recommend this show? Well that depends, if you can look past the downsides that this anime has, then sort of I guess. With that being said I'm giving this anime a 5.8/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments. 

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11