• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SukaSuka (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
What a beautiful finale. I didn't bawl a much as I thought would. Having the fairies spoiler[die off-screen was surprisingly merciful.]

If you are wondering what the heck happened; yes spoiler[the new baby is Ctholly reborn and Willem is in another sleep somewhere.]

At the end of the novel I believe I read that, spoiler[he is reborn too and meets her again.]

I think?

Readers will need to confirm that.

Yes to the finale being good,the anime's adaption is a mess though,that last scene will confuse the heck out of viewers.

That scene is of spoiler[ Chtholly's birth not her re-birth/reincarnation]

And due to SukaMoka's 4th volume's cover many fans are spoiler[ wrongly assuming that the girl is Chtholly herself,to say more would be a real spoiler]

Also that ties into the last bit of your comment Smile ,you're leaving SukaSuka and trying to get spoilers for SukaMoka.

Edit: Well since the anime is over time for you to read the novel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yep, that finale really worked for me. This title started strong for me, then it kind of lost me (not in a sense of being confused, it just lost my interest) but the last two eppies redeemed things in my view. I thought I was going to rate this show Decent, but I've bumped it up to Good.

I can't say the show really sold me on the strength of the Chtholly/Willem romance, but in the end I just embraced it.

I can definitely imagine rewatching this at some point in the future, but I'm not sure I'll ever need to own a physical copy of it like I feel with shows that I really, really like.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

P.S. Chiibi's post disappointed me. I came to see a dozen emojis, weird emoticons and lots of capital letters and other trademark Chiibi stuff. None of that there. Razz

Lol sorry. Anime hyper I spoiled myself on the ending a while back....so no passionate rants from me about this one.

One thing I surprised about though; that prologue in episode 01 is a little misleading. It looked like a post-battle scene and Chtholly was going to fall to her death there and then episode 12 shows us that she did not.

Watching the final battle was a treat though. She was really badass. And the monologues mingling together from the two lovers were wonderfully directed; that was when I started shedding tears. Anime cry
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
One thing I surprised about though; that prologue in episode 01 is a little misleading. It looked like a post-battle scene and Chtholly was going to fall to her death there and then episode 12 shows us that she did not.

It did not look like a post-battle scene at all to me. First, we saw people in the bridge firing at something. Second, we saw Rhan flying about and cutting up beasts. Third, Chtholly was walking toward the edge of the ship. None of these was consistent with a post-battle scene.

I thought it sufficiently conveyed the scene for what it was: A rather desperate moment in the middle of a heated battle. And it seemed much more like she was joining the battle.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well there is another story line which ties into what happens during the events of episode 12,had it been adapted-well SukaSuka can get dark.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
@Nordhmmer

You've kept saying for a while now that this adaption is a mess. The impression I got from your posts is that the anime left out a lot of material that was important to the story. I haven't read the light novels but a typical messy light novel adaption is rushed, tries to cram as much content into an episode as possible and ends up feeling an incoherent, weakly developed mess that just jumps from one plot point to the next. SukaSuka at no point felt rushed so I guess they left out content so they could have a well-paced story and could properly develop the relationship between Chtholly and Willem. I much prefer an approach like in SukaSuka. Well.. that's assuming my impression is correct.

Chiibi wrote:
Lol sorry. Anime hyper

Don't worry. I forgive you.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Hey, you know that show with fairies and cute animal people (this)? Well suddenly it went all Attack on Titan, and incredibly sad as everyone is dying. Actually, the one thing I can say about this episode is that after feeling like it would not do so, SukaSuka finally delivered on exactly what it promised at the beginning, that it would take your heart and throw it in a blender. That you feel so sad for what is happening, but at the same time the sadness is a sense of beauty for the lengths people will go for those they care about. I think it was with Willem seeing Nephren falling that really broke a barrier of my emotions, that there was not some safety blanket this time. Willem had to literally throw himself down to grab her on a way to death, as Chtholly uses up the last of what makes her up herself. Chtholly's had her so strong that it was kind of beautiful, but there was such this sense of sadness that regardless of what the end was, this was goodbye for her, this was a swan song.

Probably been said a heap by now, but this end was strong, and I think as strong for me as it was at the start. It lost some steam in the middle in feeling uncommitted to actually do something strong, I think beginning to turn it around with the memory thing which gave it a real sense of impending doom beyond the kind of fake indicators earlier. The hope it tried to interject kind of picked you up, but only worked to make it all the more stronger while moving towards the end, a real tragedy needs something to pick you up, something that might even give meaning to that tragedy. The next bit I want to talk about is how it feels like there is culture, positively contrasting it to Grimoire of Zero which felt kind of empty, this one felt like it was filled with people doing their own thing with quite a bit existing within the world, somewhat thanks I think to Tiat being a fan of movies. Despite the kids maybe not as focused as I might have expected, I do think enough was done to make them feel like more fleshed out characters, and to show what the older ones are like, how they are effected because they were like them, and the younger ones will replace them.

Taking a deep breath after all of this. While some problems, I did enjoy this, I will go with Very good, it had just the right amount of stuff that I consider it quite strong and something likely to be watched from this season. Now I will go watch something more happy.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0

I've a tendency to ramble on into incoherence.

However I'am in agreement with the reviewer,him being the far more proficient wordsmith.

Paul Jensen
Quote:
Taken as a whole, SukaSuka remains a mixed bag. An intriguing opening and an emotional conclusion bookend an uneven series full of awkward plot points. I can't help wondering what would have happened if the script hadn't inexplicably skipped over Chtholly's first big fight, or if the series hadn't wasted so much time on the detour through Corna di Luce

And to quote DuskyPredator
Quote:
"Well suddenly it went all Attack on Titan"
the anime could have easily adapted material and shown just how apt Dusky's comment is.

The anime gives viewers a good tale to watch,what I've been touting isspoiler[Almaria's story being dropped]
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't doubt your word that the adaption could have probably been better but this is much better than the likely alternative which would have most likely been about cramming everything from those 5 novels into 12 episodes. The outcome of that would have most likely been a lot uglier. I believe that the Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor adapted 4 novels (not entirely sure) and it ended up feeling a bit rushed towards the end. Assuming that SukaSuka was limited to 1 cour, some stuff probably had to be left out so that the show wouldn't feel bloated and rushed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

It did not look like a post-battle scene at all to me.

I just meant a post-battle scene for Chtholly, herself. Like she used up all her energy in a fight we didn't see and just falls off the plane to die. The lifeless way she moved and her dull eyes looked sorta lead me to believe this. But now we know that was the result of Elq's possession.

Other people speculated that the prologue meant no happy ending so perhaps they also thought she died in that second?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Beautiful show and finale. I got what I had expected despite this not being a full adaptation.

The character chemistry between Chtholly and Willem even up to the final episode felt touching and throughout the show, their relationship was really captiviating to watch. Beyond that, I like how the world building and in general, the story kept me engaged from the very start.

I did wish this show was longer though as the storytelling at times felt like it had a slower pace than it should. Still, a good show imo. Definitely one of the better live novel adaptations I've seen this year so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7