• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: developing powers, dungeons, goddesses, guilds, harem, monsters, swordplay, virtual reality

Plot Summary: Sword princess Aiz Wallenstein. Today, once again, the strongest female swordsman heads to the giant labyrinth known as the "Dungeon" along with her allies. On the 50th floor where mysteries and threats such as a decayed dragon's corpse that crumbles to ash and an irregularity that creeps ever closer to the party loom, Aiz calls for the wind and heads deeper into the darkness of the Dungeon. Eventually, she finds herself meeting a boy for the first time. In the Labyrinth City of Orario, the contrasting stories of the boy and the girl intersect.
----------------------------------

Spin-off series adaptation of Danmachi. I've been reading the series for this and enjoying it perhaps even more than the main series. Not too surprised that it got an anime considering the franchise getting more popular since 2015.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aiz in her own story!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well this episode bought back the familiar feeling of the series I remember before.

The main characters were introduced (with some of their levels). Animation and quality remains generally the same as the original series. There's no some fan service in this but I'm not really bothered by them. The Hiryute twins were probably most guilty of this.

I like the fantasy and adventurous feel of this episode and it jumped right into the show without wasting much time. Nice to see Bete in this as well (his voice is so recognizable tbh). Action wise, it felt like DanMachi again. Aiz is still quite a badass in this Very Happy

Feels like this show will have more action compared to the original. Should be a fun ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
My number one question was really trying to figure out where this might fit into the timeline. the 50th floor did play a part in the original series. So it was probably perfect that the episode ended with the whole minotaur bit as what better way to show that this is a different perspective than to show her side of what altered Bell's life. Most of the episode was about Lifiya, which was having me wonder if this will mostly be about her, but we got flirting with the fact she has problems different from those who are weak and want strength. This is a spinoff, so we probably should not discuss the original too much without spoilers, but as far as I remember part of the deal was that Aiz did not think at all in looking down at Bell during that at him being weak. Instead she felt sorry that it was her group's failure that let it happen, and upset that the person was left screaming in "terror".

Uranus was brought up as some sort of force pushing a bad event, and being a little bit forgotten in areas I decided to brush up on some mythology. Uranus is the greek version of Caelus, who is the father of many of the titans including Cronus/Kronos who in turn is the father of standard roman pantheon of Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Chiron and..... Hestia? Okay, what I wanted to just point out is that with finding out that spoiler[Bell's grandfather is Zeus there is a connection with him], but I just realised that spoiler[Hestia is Bell's Great Aunt]. How much separated is okay?

Anyway, mythology geeking aside, I am interested for seeing more of this. But now I am hating myself as far as back then I did not know who Hestia was, which maybe ran into why she is a bit of a nobody.

The characters I kind of want to see more of are the amazon twins, that was a barbarian rage.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The characters I kind of want to see more of are the amazon twins, that was a barbarian rage.

I totally agree with you, Dusky! I actually find that I like Tiona a bit more than I do Tione, especially after that bit when she just waltzes up and smiles cutely at the minotaur before kicking it to death.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

It seems kind of gratuitous that Aizszsz has to take down her top for the status update when the back is already totally open.

I'm still not getting much about her character other than "socially awkward."
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

The OP song for this show works although I think there's some moments that were awkward in it as well.

Compared to the original series, this has a lot more fan service still. Not much action this episode so I guess the show is trying to flesh out its characters more. Bete is still an ass as expected.

I still don't find Lefiya appealing in this show though especially with her fangirl delusions.

Overall episode was okay imo, not as distinctive as the first but works as it tells the story from Aiz's perspective. The timeline takes place pretty much the same as original.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm still not getting much about her character other than "socially awkward."

We heard that she is starting to feel stagnant, that most of her identity is around being an adventurer but as far as that goes she has pretty much reached the higher level and making little increases. The stagnation is causing her to get reckless to try and force some improvement, which is not making her level headed as she should. An in the face of that she is also relatively young and is starting to see herself as some big scary thing that could frighten off people, which is on top of her social awkwardness. She does seem to have trouble expressing herself which can make it look like she is missing emotion.

Was totally waiting for the scene that they go to celebrate at the tavern before Bete is an arse to Bell. And the episode ended with the gods going to the party.

Also was funny when the smiths had to be explained what happened to one of their best works.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Anyway, mythology geeking aside, I am interested for seeing more of this. But now I am hating myself as far as back then I did not know who Hestia was, which maybe ran into why she is a bit of a nobody.

Well Hestia it not so much as a "nobody" god/goddess,
Hestia was the oldest and then the youngest of the children of Cronus and Rhea, the first Olympian generation.
She would indeed be an aunt to those of Zeus's,very incestuous, progeny.
Think of her as the non-adventurous older/younger sister whom mothers her siblings.

Hestia was worshipped throughout ancient Greece,every household's hearth was a shrine.

In ancient Rome she was known as Vesta,the virgin goddess,as in Greece every household's hearth was a shrine to her.
With the Romans, Vesta's cult would come to dominate over other the other's cults.

While the others gods had adventures and banged each other, Hestia was the caretaker of hearth&home,a shut-in.

The sticking to the anime,I do see nods to Hestia's origins with how the other gods treat her with friendship and caring,even Loki.
And yes I'am aware what has happened in the LN.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

And in this episode I think I just started to like Bete. He had a far way to climb after the way he made fun of Bell, that he came across as a dick. But he has kind of worked his way back up from earlier in the season showing his ramifications on himself of shooting his mouth of from drinking, and he has been kind of shown himself increasingly that despite his bark he is kind of quick to say come to Loki's direction. He does speak as usual harshly to others, but it feels more that he does not want to take shit from people, but he also worries about them. I think it was kind of working well that we had him balanced with Lefiya who kind of goes too far the other way, together they make an alright good cop and bad cop. Also, it was pretty funny the way he looked when the guy tried to extort money out of them for info on Ais, I guess he put points into intimidation.

The Herme's familia, I seem to remember him for some reason spoiler[joining with Hestia on the rescue mission]. Can't quite remember why though. Was it his people that spoiler[betrayed Bell and the other two]?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've never hated Bete because I like his design and voice. He just looks and sounds badass. But I never particularly liked him either because in the first series he was such a douchebag towards Bell and I always got the feeling it was because he was jealous that Ais was so fixated on Bell.

But now I'm starting to like him for pretty much the same reasons Dusky mentioned there. I also agree that having Lefiya go along with Bete is good use of her character. She and Bete make for a good duo. She also has to try and keep the peace in this temporary 3 man party.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

And to go off of last week, befitting of his name, Bete was a beast in this episode. Was like the coolest part when he did that powered up kick to the bad guy, as well as his assertions of not being worried about the curse. Plus Lefiya also felt to have grown a spine where she could stand up to banshee girl from trying to chase her away.

Apparently Ais might be the daughter of some sort of spirit, which I guess will be the explanation for her talent with air magic. But also want to think for a bit how gross getting blood coughed up on your open eye is.

And I am wondering if next episode will move into when Ais and Bell get closer together, like him fighting the Minotaur and or training with Ais.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Oh, that explains something, Finn is actually a Prum, the same(?) race as Liliruca, at least when she does not have the animal ears.

It was good seeing our Little Rookie (Bell) again, and we got to see the amazing fight he has with the minotaur, one of the best scenes from the original.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A pretty good fight, especially since we got to see Gareth and Finn in action. I don't think it was bad, I even kind of liked how it ended with Lefiya knocking back Loki, which some may not do so. But it just at the end highlights that this show kind focused on Lefiya when it should have and we came here for it to be Aiz. Like we got quite a bit of Lefiya inner monologues, but Aiz's was kind of sparse, that we got shots of presumably her parents or hero/goal, but it does not feel like we got the peek behind the curtain to really explain Aiz's character, which were really hoping for.

It is not like I am a Lefiya hater, that some would say her being a kind of whiny yuri fan girl, it is perfectly fine that her characteristics be that she likes girls, with her crush being on Aiz, similar to Bell. Honestly I found her character more entertaining when she became more forward on that side, being jealous against Bell, her character being more than just written as pleasant, and have her own side. It worked with the Filvis part too, that it actually felt like there was an arc there, and not to get too yuri goggle eyed, I could see something viable there. But also I think it kind of funny within this series when one party is acting super animated, like Tione with Finn for example, or back with Bell acting like a dork or Hestia with Bell. I think Lefiya was best when she was a little bit of a dork, because face it she is, just like with Bell, and it is kind of how she might act and help in spite of that which could make the character. There should have been a way to capitalise on this without Lefiya feeling so much of something you see of a "cute girls doing cute things" anime, which is not necessarily a bad archetype, just maybe the right fit for a spinoff that has a character like Bell as the main character. Going off of another spinoff series, Luroko in Railgun is not simple a pleasant character, she is a total horndog not secret about her interest, and still able to be defined by other things.

The best thing I took away from this spinoff, was that Bete is a pretty cool guy. He started off Danmachi as an ass who really hurt the sweet Bell, but is now another cool male character in the franchise. In a number of other ways, kind of just makes me want more Danmachi proper, that the setting is fun. Maybe they could think about a second season for the main show. I give a rating of Good (7/10) It was worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1