• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blocking foreign characters in thread titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Is there any way to do this? Either built-in or a mod? Because I've noticed that all of the spam threads (at least, the most recent ones) all have Chinese or Korean in their titles, and that would prevent them (or at least help).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
An even easier solution, which I've suggested before, is not to let people post with a numeric account name like #123456. All the spam postings I've seen come from accounts like that. I'd subject such accounts to a forty-eight hour posting ban. Any legitimate user with such an account will wait for the ban to be lifted, or create an alphanumeric user name.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I believe those # accounts are created by using a facebook account or something like that? Could it be possible to make it so that any new user that tries to make a new thread as their first post would be automatically placed under moderation. Could that work?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Let me just say I am just a mod and have nothing to do with the programming side. However, we mods have brought up both issues (the # accounts and foreign character accounts) in the staff section recently. We're the ones that wind up dealing with those accounts after all. Tempest said they have hired some new programmers and he would put the ideas/concerns on their list. Now, there's no way to know if it is possible or not. That's for those tech guys to figure out. That stuff is all purple to me. I know part of why we run an older phpBB version is due to some of the security features we have. Plus Tempest has mentioned before the encyclopedia update/upgrade is the prime focus right now. Upgrading the forum comes after that massive task. Just wanted to let people know we have discussed the topic(s) and have not been ignoring them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1